View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

beginners guide to coding nodes? 

Post Re: beginners guide to coding nodes?
Tempest wrote:
(My ability to explore this has been limited, since my gaming group has an OSX user in it that has almost legendary problems in getting OpenRPG installed or updated. We eventually had to resort to getting him to BootCamp it to a Windows partition, where it works, but since that same player's in a separate group that's still on 1.7.6 (and doesn't want to update), he has to stick to 1.7.6 there, meaning exploring the newer options in 1.8 has been... a bit of a minefield.

Which version of OSX is he running?

I'm guessing it's 10.3 or older in which case it may become more complicated installing multiple versions at the same time but it may be possible I've just never tried it.

10.4 on should have no problem with installing or running multiple versions.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:40 am

Sorry about the delay again. Real life getting in the way.

David, I'm having a blast figuring out the ins and outs of 1.8.1 (although I couldn't get it working from the updater, I just used the copy posted upthread). If my tinkering produces anything useful, I'll let people know.

Paul, thank you so much for the help. Here's what our resident Mac user is running:
OSX 10.6.6
Python 2.7
wxPython 2.8
OpenRPG 1.7.6

The problem he seems to have at the moment is that we can't seem to get wxPython to run in 32 bit mode (it defaults to 64 bit, and I don't know enough about OSX to figure out how to change that), but that's just the most recent in a long list of problems. I'll see if I can poke him into registering.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 am

* Python 2.7

We have known problems with that version of Python. Maybe a downgrade to Python 2.6

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:40 am
Profile YIM WWW

Tempest wrote:
The problem he seems to have at the moment is that we can't seem to get wxPython to run in 32 bit mode (it defaults to 64 bit, and I don't know enough about OSX to figure out how to change that), but that's just the most recent in a long list of problems. I'll see if I can poke him into registering.

This page has instructions on how to run wxpython in 32 bit.
http://blog.sumin.us/archives/1291

I don't have a 64 bit machine right now to test it on so I can't say if this works 100% but looking around most of the answers I find on this are the same so I think it's his best bet.

And as prof.ebral says switching to python 2.6 should also be done.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Hello, Mac user in question reporting in. Thanks for your help, guys.

Last time we tried to crack this was Jan. 3rd. We tested fog on my OS X partition (10.6 if you're wondering, right now it's 10.6.6 to be perfectly specific), using ORPG 1.7.6 which had failed whenever fog came up before. We tried it, and Python quit.

Quote:
me: Wait.
Uh oh.
I think I know what's wrong. Link me again to the ORPG download page please?
I didn't update the versions of Python or wxPython I use.
Tempest: That'll do it!
me: Did those update? I dunno.
Tempest: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg&m=getorpg
they only update if you use a file that bundles them. There isn't one for OSX.
The *nix/OSX instructions should work, though.
me: All right.
Brian: It will be important: Match the kernel types. If your OSX is 32bit (I think it is), use 32bit Python and wxPython.
me: It says to use one for OS X version 10.6 and later.
I downloaded that...
Brian: Also, there are big differences between version 2 and version 3 of Python. 2.7 should work. 3 should not.
I don't know how to check kernel type on OSX... or if 10.6 is natively 32 or 64-bit.
me: Didn't get 3. 2.7.1 is what I'm downloading.

We found out about the workaround Paul just mentioned here. So I reinstalled Python with a new version, and before reinstalling wxPython, I navigated in Terminal to where I installed Python 2.7.1,
Quote:
Tempest: Just about everything will appear there. Hopefully it's /Applications and not /USER/Applications (with your name instead of USER).
(The former reflects a Mac login that has root access, the latter doesn't.)
me: I can drag and drop the file into terminal after the cd command, so I'm sure I'm there.

and I typed in this as Tempest told me:
Quote:
defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Prefer-32-Bit 1

Which I note is very similar to what you suggest in that link, Paul, but slightly different. We got it wrong I guess.

Anyways, I entered that exact command and got no response (including no error message), so next step was to install wxPython. I had not uninstalled anything prior to that point. I downloaded ORPG 1.8.0, IIRC, and gave it a whirl.
Quote:
me: WTF?
Tempest: ?
me: Terminal isn't cooperating.
Tempest: It shouldn't be a problem...
Wait, do you have a prompt, or is it locked up without a cursor?
me: It gives me an error message when I input "python2.7 start_client.py"

That message was:
Quote:
File "/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.11.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module>
import core_
ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.11.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find:
/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.11.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core_.so: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
michel-fiallo-perezs-macbook-122:OpenRPG1.8.0 Mich$ python2.7 start_client.py
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'start_client.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

This, to put it lightly, threw us off.
Quote:
Tempest: Simplest solution is that start_client.py isn't in your Python directory but is rather in your OpenRPG directory.
Hmm. That's weird.
me: That's where it is.
And where I am opening it.
Like the ORPG site tells me to.

So I did a full uninstall of everything MacPython and wxPython in my machine, including sudo rm deletions of the same, in usr/lib, usr/local/lib, usr/bin, and usr/local/bin. Then I logged out of terminal. Installed Python 2.7.1, used the "defaults" command as I had before, installed wxPython (newest version, don't recall which), and then ORPG 1.8.0 again. Entered "python2.7 start_client.py" in Terminal and crossed my fingers.
Quote:
import core_
ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.11.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find:
/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.11.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core_.so: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

This was getting irritating.
Quote:
me: So.
What do I do?
Tempest: I'm working on it.
It appears to be an architecture problem again. Logout of the terminal, open it back up, and from the root directory (the one you reach by typing "cd /" with noquotes), and try the "defaults" line again. Then launch OpenRPG.

Same error message, so Tempest figured it was a 64-32 bit problem.
Quote:
Tempest: The idea is that python will always report (and prefer to run in) 64-bit mode on OSX (and only on OSX), while wxPython is precompiled for a 32-bit system. I'm trying to figure out how to get Python to run in 32-bit mode.
I think I know how to do it, but it involves repeating the uninstall process from before.
me: Oyyyyyyyy.....>____<
Tempest: There are two OSX-compatible downloads here - one is labelled for 10.6 (which is 64-bit but can emulate 32-bit, this is what you tried) and the other is for 10.3 and later (which was 32-bit only but 10.6 can run it). Use that second download, which should be available at http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.1/ ... sx10.3.dmg.
That one will install the right version of Python, but won't need any jiggery-pokery to get it to work with the 32-bit wxPython.

So we did all that, right down to the sudo rms, but *without typing in the "default" line to reset everything to 32-bit* (as we reasoned it unnecessary) and I gave it a shot.

And the installation failed.
Quote:
The following installation step failed: run postflight script for Fix system python. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Tempest: Oh crap. I don't have the foggiest notion how to bypass this one.

Which is where we are now.

I'm hoping that the key mistake we made was in that one line in Terminal about setting Python to 32-bit, and that the latest attempt didn't install because I couldn't install the old version meant for OSX 10.3 on my 10.6 machine. I'm hoping that's the case and that I haven't irrevocably screwed something up. >_< I have not done ANYTHING remotely Python related, in Terminal or otherwise, since then.

Thanks for your feedback and help!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Wow it shouldn't be this hard.

I think the problem might be in the versions you are running.

I suggest python 2.6 available here http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/

and wxpython 2.8.10.1 available here http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpytho ... /2.8.10.1/

I believe you want the file titled "wxPython2.8-osx-unicode-2.8.10.1-universal-py2.6.dmg"

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Paul wrote:
I suggest python 2.6 available here http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/

Install Universal MacPython wrote:
The following installation step failed: run postflight script for Fix system Python. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

:(

I've borked my computer somewhere along the line, haven't I?

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:56 am

hmm unless 2.6 is non compatible with your OS but I figured it should be ok since it's just an older version.

However if it were I would think we would have heard from other users with the same problem.

We may have exceeded my skill level here.

Or your system could be bjorked.

I'm sorry in either case.

I'll dig some more and see if I can find anything more when I get home from work.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks. Since I think we were able to get 2.5 working on my comp no problem, I don't know why 2.6 wouldn't be happy.

EDIT: Redownloaded Python 2.5.5 just to see if it would work, and that doesn't seem to have any problem. I've got a Windows partition on this hard drive, would that be an issue?

EDIT EDIT: Actually, wait, python 2.5.5 isn't working. I unzipped a backed up old version of ORPG and it won't even start. I get "python2.5 start.py-bash: python2.5: command not found" I can't find a Python folder outside of my Applications folder either, when I remember there being one in the Library. I suspect something got sudo rm'ed that shouldn't have been.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: That's because I got a source update. D'oh! Tried installing 2.5, a version I'd used a dozen times before....and the same error message appears. Something's definitely borked; I played ORPG games with Python 2.5 for years.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm