View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

"No image handler for type image/..." 

Post "No image handler for type image/..."
Any time I try and use a picture, be it for a miniature or a background, it tells me that.

I understand this is a problem with my wxPython, but I, being a total noob to that kind of thing, have no idea how to fix it.
After researching the issue for several hours, I found wx.InitAllImageHandlers().
I try that, but it tells me that wx is not defined, so I spend more time finding out what the hell THAT means, and then I try import wx, followed by wx.InitAllImageHandlers().
Sweet, no error messages!
Except it doesn't do anything.
I'm desperate, friends!

So far, I've just installed all of the required programs.
OpenRPG runs fine, I set up a server and all that good stuff.
It's just the images.

I'm using all of the most current versions of Python, wxPython and OpenRPG on Windows XP.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:40 am

Post Re: "No image handler for type image/..."
Well... not THE most current versions of Python and wxPython I assume as they wouldn't work. Python 2.6 and wxPython 2.8.10.1 are good for example.

Are your miniatures working when you find them in other parts of the program? For example when you enter the lobby of a server do you get their greeting image OK? (most have one) That is - do images in the chat come through OK? They are handled differently from the map so if you are getting those OK it says something.

Also is this an exact quote?

"No image handler for type image/..."

I would have expected the number of a file extension type (eg "1" or "15") where you have "image/..." and after it the word "defined".

I assume you have tried a variety of image file extensions like .png, .jpg and .gif?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Python 2.7, and wx 2.8.blahwhatever, IIRC.
Everything about OpenRPG I can test by myself works fine besides images.

When I tried to connect to a server, the little map window just showed up with the Fetching thing.

Yeah, there is an image type, but not as a number, and the word defined after that, I just assumed that got the point across.

For example, I just tried to use one of the OpenRPG textures as a miniature, and it returned "No image handler for type image/pjpeg defined."

And I have tried every type of image, including BMP, which is supposed to be automatically initialized, if I understand correctly.

And, to clarify, these are images I'm trying to get from my hard drive, not the internet.

I'm afraid it's going to be something stupid-simple about installing wxPython that I just don't know about.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:11 pm

SenorSpat wrote:
Python 2.7, and wx 2.8.blahwhatever, IIRC.

well, 'blahwhatever' really doesn't help the developers when we know some versions have specific issues that can be remedied.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I don't think we've tested Python 2.7 with OpenRPG yet and there have been some bugs because of the different versions of wxPython. Specifically wxPython 2.8.11.0 (the latest?) has a bug (not this one you have) associated with it.

I'm wondering what circumstances led you to get Python 2.7 instead of the standard installed by the windows installer which would be Python 2.6 and wxpython 2.8.10.1 --- did you happen to have Python 2.7 installed already for some reason?

ps. if you run system_check.py it will createba file called "openrpg_sysinfo.txt" which details the Python and wxPython versions if you cannot recall them.

eg for me:

OpenRPG System Info 08-10-10
OpenRPG Version: 1.8.0
OpenRPG Build: 090712-00
Python: 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
wxPython Version: 2.8.10.1
Platform: Microsoft_Windows-XP-32bit-WindowsPE

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Sorry about the ambiguity, I was not on my computer at the time.
It is 2.8.11.0, which was the version the wxPython website said was compatible with 2.7.

I don't know EXACTLY what happened, but OpenRPG wouldn't boot the first time I installed it.
So, instead of using the installer, I just went and downloaded the recommended version of Python and the wxPython to go with it.

That allowed it to boot, so I assumed it was the right thing to do.

I'm going to try uninstalling everything and using the Windows installer again.

Sorry guys.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:39 pm

Ah, here we go.
During the install of wxPython that comes with the OpenRPG installer, I get this error message:

"C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\wxbase28uh_net_vc.dll

An error occurred while trying to read the source file:
The system cannot find the file specified."

I can retry, which does nothing, abort, or ignore.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Well I do not know if wxPython 2.8.11.0 is the cause of your problem but it will cause another bug, had you ever got past your bug. You can manually download the right wxPython from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpython/files/wxPython/2.8.10.1/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.10.1-py26.exe/download

Now we've had reports (maybe three altogether?) of issues with the windows installer before now but I don't know what prompts the problem. Obviously it works for most people, but at the same time that seems too common to be a file corruption issue.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:22 pm

You should simply re install Python so you can use an older version. Pick a release from 2.5.4 or greater, but less than 2.7. I am afraid we are not ready for Python 2.7 at the moment.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Whatever the problem was, manually installing wxPython worked.
I suppose it must have been a problem with 2.7.

Thanks so much, fellas.

:)

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 pm