View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm

High Level 3.5ed D&D game 

Post High Level 3.5ed D&D game
For those coming over from Athos's game, this is the post for the replacement game. I'm looking for 6 players for a game on Wednesday nights, 8:30pm EST. I will be keeping the starting details the same for those who already did their PC's.

The Bonegarden is a vast area of death. Quite simply, it is a circular cemetery one mile in diameter, circumscribed by a 9' wall of fire-blackened stone. Beyond the gate lies one of the true blights of the domain, a scortched and pock-marked graveyard that serves as a prison for the restive spirits of a thousand of history's most awful criminals.

According to legend, the Bonegarden was created centuries ago, back when the region was first being rid of mauruders and brigands who sought succor in the domain. All manner of killers and thieves were buried here, many the victims of execution-usually by hanging or protracted torture-others the unfortunate criminals who were killed while trying to escape incarceration. Sometimes the authorities of the day would rout an entire bandit gang, rounded up the survivors, and kill them on the spot in order to save the fledgling judicial system an unnecessary burden. Dozens of bodies were dragged to the Bonegarden in wagons, at time buried in individual boxes of thin pine, at other time heaped into mass graves and left to the worms. Many famous outlaws were interred here. In some cases friends of the deceased paid for expensive vaults, the corpses places on catafalques inside, the doors sealed for eternity. The more common criminals, however, rarely rated more than a shallow ditch and unadorned wooden marker. The Bonegarden, then, is a jumbled, chaotic place, with a few dozen tall marble vaults, hundreds of tombstones, a few thousand plain wooden stakes, and countless unmarked graves, all arrayed in no order what-so-ever, making the graveyard into a horrifying labyrinth, a dark and weather-blasted monument to the gods of the dead.

The Bonegarden has not been formally use for a century. No bodies have been sunk into the sterile soil, no coffins lowered into pits. In fact no sane person dares venture within a quarter mile of the place afraid the tortured souls bound within the black wall might one day find a way to escape.

The problem is...you have to go in!

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 am

Post Re: High Level 3.5ed D&D game
I'm certainly interested. The char I was gonna play in athos's, sadly, is totally unsuitable for a game involving undead though- was really looking forward to playing her again, hopefully he'll get his schedule sorted soon. lemee see what else I have available at the proper lvl.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 am

I should be good to go, just need to know the specific source material available to us as I've got some char ideas I'd love to give a whirl. :)

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:24 am

Well i'm sticking with my knight as he works or anything.

FOR SPARTA

for those new he is a pure tank knight built to take the heat and wick damage off allies.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:24 am

Characters would start at 14th level, a lot will be allowed, I have most WotC books. No psionics, ToB, or the other "3.75" books. Abilities will be determined by point buy rather than rolling. Due to the epic nature of the game, you will have 42 points to allocate per the DMG's table. Your wealth to start is per the DMG, which I believe for 14th level is 150k gp to buy magic items. You can have a further 3k gp in non magical items/ equipment.

Theres the charater gen rules just so we don't have to look at the old topic for them.

Though you know So i don't get bored or fuck with a charater already made i'm going to do another charater. I think I will do an artificer for something i havn't done yet.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:58 pm

ok well after consulting my list, I've got 3 options: human deathmaster, sun elf favored soul, or human warmage/fire elemental savant. deathmaster is the right lvl but dunno how well an evil char would work for ya. warmage would need to be brought down a lvl, easily done, but she's VERY powerful... and also evil as to she don't care who gets incinerated in her blasts... think my best option would be the favored soul who needs to lvl up twice... just uncertain how she'll play in a diff campaign since the prior campaign pretty much centered on her. also some players don't like her calming aura. put in your 2 cents worth on the matter and I'll see if there might be lower lvl options that I like better and wouldn't mind lvling.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:53 am

I'm thinking Dread Necromancer myself. :evil:

But I have other ideas if my Human/Necropolitan Dread Necromancer is too much like the graveyards current residents.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 pm

The campaign is shaping up nicely. For everyone's sake, lets get a post on this thread/board your class/race/special traits. I'm thinking that we have all that will filling out nicely but haven't gotten everyone's sheet. Please PM me and I'll give you my email to get them to me.

In the interim, post for everyone to see. Since this is a new group vs. Athos's, I would like to have a meet and greet Wednesday night at 8:30pm EST. Probably on the same server. More to follow on that... :)

mechberg

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Post Colm
Name: Colm
Class: Thaumaturgist (Former Cloistered Cleric / Initiate of Mystra) [ECL 14]
Race: Lesser Aasimar (45 year old male)
Special Traits: Astral Deva cohort.
Alignment: Neutral Good

Colm cast the Spell "Planar Ally", and summoned an Outsider to perform a service. In addition to a material payment -- and as part of the bargain -- Colm agreed to answer the call of the church of Bane, and join the group forming to retrieve an object from the "Bonegarden".

The caveat in the bargain is that Colm need not give the item to the church, if doing so constitutes an "evil" act. Colm attached this proviso seeing how it is the church of Bane. Colm is not concerned; he knows from experience that Mystra will let him know before he "crosses the line".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Similar to the story of Kwai Chang Caine...} Young Colm was an orphan of mixed parentage who gained admittance to one of the hidden academies where Initiates of Mystra instruct those aspiring to become her Arcane Devotees. All the tests conducted by the Initiates indicated that Colm had the potential to become a powerful Sorcerer. Colm, however, proved unable to tap this potential -- no matter how hard he tried. Colm asked his advisor if there were any special exercises Colm could perform that would help. The Initiate's answer was, "PRAY!"

Colm's prayers led him along a path that took him from Seeker to Aspirant to Accolyte (1st level Cleric). When Colm made the vow -- and was awarded the holy symbol -- that marked him an Accolyte of Mystra, his prayer was finally answered and his sorcerous abilities were unleashed. Colm stayed true to his vows, and continued along the divine path from Accolyte to Adept, Priest, Curate, and finally Prefect. Colm's sorcerous abilites advanced as well, and his dual casting ability naturally led him to become one of Mystra's Dweomorkeepers.

Back when young Colm was a Seeker, the inside joke at the academy was that Colm only knew one prayer: "goddess, help me!" There is more than a grain of truth in that. "goddess, help me!" became the core words that would summon celestial outsiders to his aid. As Colm advanced in the church, the goddess sent ever more powerful creatures in answer to his simple prayer, until one day he received a planar cohort. At that time, he became recognized not only as a Dweomerkeeper but also as a Master Thaumaturgist.

As with all inside jokes, you never know who is going to get the last laugh. The final irony is that the boy who could not cast a sorcerous cantrip without praying grew up to become -- 25 years later -- an Initiate of Mystra teaching aspiring Arcane Devotees how to Summon. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for his present predicament: While Mystra and Bane are sworn enemies, Colm is one of the minority of Mystra's Initiates that believe that Good and Evil will eventually reconcile. Colm believes that reconciliation can only come about by putting aside blind hatred. He believes that "only love can conquer hate"; therefore, love is the weapon that will allow good to overpower evil.

Last edited by PhillyG on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:42 am, edited 6 times in total.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:31 pm

True Neutral Human Artificer. She doesn't care about much normally. Her main concern is her money pouch and expanding her abilities to create things. She can get along with evil and good as long as they are willing to keep her money pouch fat.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 pm