View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Interest Inquiry, D&D 3.5 

Post Interest Inquiry, D&D 3.5
A friend of mine wanted me to run a 3.5 game at high level for him, and I agreed to... was wondering if anyone else was interested in 3.5. He is running a spellsword which is a fighter / wizard, if that matters to anyone. Am looking for 3-4 more players.

Characters would start at 14th level, a lot will be allowed, I have most WotC books. No psionics, ToB, or the other "3.75" books. If you have questions please feel free to ask. Abilities will be determined by point buy rather than rolling. Due to the epic nature of the game, you will have 42 points to allocate per the DMG's table. i.e. an 18 costs 16 points, a 16 cost 10 points, a 14 costs 6 points etc. and abilities default start is 8 points. Your wealth to start is per the DMG, which I believe for 14th level is 150k gp to buy magic items. You can have a further 3k gp in non magical items/ equipment.

The game will be starting in the world of Greyhawk where the party will be going through the 30 year old modules, G1-G3, D1-D3 and Q1. I have updated these modules to 3.5. They were written by Gary Gygax and are quite fun. Warning: the initial 4 modules of the series are combat intensive, so if you are adverse to combat, this game is not for you. For those that are not old enough to remember these modules, the premise is that the party is hired to investigate why giants are attacking the population of Geoff and other countries. The giants seem to be well armed, well trained and backed by someone powerful. The party is to destroy the giants, determine who is behind them and bring the responsible parties to justice.

The 7 modules should take the party from 14th to a little over 20th level. At that point, I am not sure where the game will go, but I am willing to run these 7 mods and hopefully this blast from the past will interest some players.

Am open for most nights of the week, will be up to the majority of players to determine when we game. This game is probably not a good match for people that do not have experience in 3.5, since it will be starting at high level and going to epic levels. I will be able to start any time after the 1st of July, will depend on what night the party wants to game as to when the first session will be.

Looking forward to gaming with you,

Athos / Dan

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Post Re: Interest Inquiry, D&D 3.5
Is this a straight hack-and-slash, then?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 pm

The modules are what they are... Gary Gygax wrote them 30 years ago when AD&D was relatively new, they are basically a search and destroy mission. They turn out to be a whole lot more, especially when you get into D3 and Q1, but the first 4 are especially combat oriented. The giants will be more than a match for the party if the party attacks head on, so there will likely be hit and run guerrilla tactics needed to succeed. It is up to the party how they want to handle things, I am not a DM that railroads groups. Strategy and good Tactics are highly advised for these mods, though.

The party determines the level and quality of the RP, not the DM, so I can't say what the players are going to do until I see them in action. If the party is just interested in hacking and slashing, then that is what they will probably end up doing, if the party is interested in RPing, then the combat will likely just be a back drop for their interactions. Without a crystal ball to see into the future, I can't really answer what the party will do or be like :)

As I stated earlier, these modules are a search and destroy mission, so there will be LOTS of combat. After these mods are finished, we will see what the party wants to do next, I am pretty open to anything from exploring other lands to setting up kingdoms and establishing their own rule out on the frontiers of civilization. I am only guaranteeing that I will run the 7 modules and take the party from confronting the giants to the end of the adventure, after that we will see what everyone wants to do before continuing.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 am

Just the kind of game I've been looking for. Nice high level, and a decent chance of success. I'd love to do some sort've Archmage combo, or at least something that's heavy arcane-caster.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:38 pm

An archmage would be a great addition to the group... not sure what level archmage can be taken at, I think 14th might be the first level since you need to be able to cast 7th level spells, iirc, but you can figure on advancing probably one level per module.

Now if we can get a divine, a rogue and a tank, we will be set :)

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 pm

this could be interesting, going back to old school sounds fun, if the day fits my schedule I will be game for a rogue

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Argh! I have this really amusing idea to ride a pseudodragon familiar into combat. I was thinking of taking a small race and doing an enlarge/reduce to make myself smaller than the dragon, but none of them have a +Int stat >.<. I was also thinking of a polymorph, but that would require either an expensive item or saving spells for the purpose.

The enlarge/reduce idea seems the most viable, the only thing I'd have to do is make sure all of my gear was on me and that I didn't gain too much weight. I've decided to look into some of the LA +1 races, hopefully they'll help out, though I'll then have to wait a level to become an Archmage. Perhaps this is now my final test or something, I dunno :P

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 pm

I think i might take the tank slot with a bull rush Minotaur barbarian if you don't mind. Hes a charater i made for another game that never took off. But if you will allow him.

He uses this minotaur (if you will allow it http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=13 ) as well as races of stone and miniatures handbook for the bullrush manuvers. and finally the Whirling Frenzy variant in unearthed arcana. Heres the link. http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=36377

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:20 am

I'm interested, definately, what timezone do you are you going to be playing in?

Since it looks like somebody has put dibs on the archmage position I'll play a straight up human paladin if I do play. Just depends what day we're looking at and at what time.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 am

As for the minotaur, they take 8 levels as their base, 6 of monstrous humanoid, and +2 LA; so he could only be a 6th level barbarian if my math is right. That said, I am not sure why a minotaur would be helping to save a human kingdom from a bunch of giants... I would think he would more likely be on the giants side of the conflict. But if you can come up with a good reason for him to be fighting with the humans, I don't mind you playing a minotaur from MM 1, with 6 levels of barbarian.

A paladin will be ok, as long as you can handle everyone not being LG in the party. If you plan on playing him lawful stupid, then I have a problem with it since it will likely cause problems in the party and these are VERY tough modules and the party needs to be a cohesive unit to survive.

I got a PM asking about playing something to meet a party need. That is great if you want to play the character, but if you are only doing it because you think the party needs that class, please don't. I want you to have fun with your character, not feel like it is a burden. If necessary, I will give out a free leadership feat to those that want it to give the party a couple cohorts to fill rolls like healer or trapfinder or whatever else noone is interested in playing.

Getting good response so far, this is very encouraging... hope everyone can find a character they really are excited about playing.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next