View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:57 pm

A few problems... 

Post A few problems...
I have a few issues that I was wondering if I could get some solutions to...

When I open OpenRPG (1.8.0, on Windows xp) I get:

Code:
File "C:\Python26\lib\urllib2.py", line 1121, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it>

then after skipping the update, and trying to browse servers:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\OpenRPG\orpg\networking\gsclient.py", line 580 in refresh_server_list
    etree = meta_server_lib.get_server_list(["2"]);
  File "C:\Program Files\OpenRPG\orpg\networking\meta_server_lib.py" line 156, in get_server_list
    return_list = sorted(etree.getroot().findall('server'), sorter_func)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'etree' referenced before assignment
NONE

And can never see a server list (but can connect to the groups server when given the ISP for it.

Edit: I followed a suggestion in a thread on here, about deleting the metaserver.cache file, now open rpg, won't open, in the DOS window, i get the same code as above, followed now buy

Code:
Reading Gametree file: myfiles/tree.xml
done.
Parsing Gametree nodes
. .done

Then the OpenRPG block appears on the tool bar, but OpenRPG doesn't actually open.
Also, I never can see the miniatures, I see the map being drawn and all that fine, but the pictures never change from being the blue green "Fetching" image.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 am

Post Re: A few problems...
rikadyn wrote:
Also, I never can see the miniatures, I see the map being drawn and all that fine, but the pictures never change from being the blue green "Fetching" image.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with OpenRPG. I forked and made the Traipse distro of OpenRPG so I can't help but. But I can tell you that David can help you. You should toss him a PM.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

It sounds like you are having problems connecting to places. Have these issues always been a problem since you got OpenRPG 1.8.0 or did they just start happening after running OpenRPG 1.8.0 successfully for a while?

Do you know if you can access the images that OpenRPG gets stuck on directly through a web browser or not?

I assume this is the thread you already looked at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=143&start=0

When you deleted the metaservers.cache did OpenRPG get you a new one?
Can you reach this page of xml on your web browser?
http://orpgmeta.appspot.com/

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 pm

davidbyron wrote:
It sounds like you are having problems connecting to places. Have these issues always been a problem since you got OpenRPG 1.8.0 or did they just start happening after running OpenRPG 1.8.0 successfully for a while?

Do you know if you can access the images that OpenRPG gets stuck on directly through a web browser or not?

I assume this is the thread you already looked at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=143&start=0

When you deleted the metaservers.cache did OpenRPG get you a new one?
Can you reach this page of xml on your web browser?
http://orpgmeta.appspot.com/

Connection problems have been constant, as I can never see servers with open RPG, and had to ask for the IP everyweek.

Yes it created a new metaservers.cache, but after that, the program would never open fully, giving me the text in the Dos window I edited in last night.

Yes, on my browser I can reach that page...

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Well you have three issues now because whatever is causing your OpenRPG to not come up after the tree parses, it is nothing to do with connections. You can get OpenRPG up even if you have no internet at all, and besides, after the error about the metaserver it went on to load your tree.

Normally a bug at that stage would be a tree loading bug but it reported that loaded OK too. The odd thing is you have no error code at all for it. Perhaps it is hung on something. Do you have minis in your gametree (not in a minilib)? It might be waiting on finding those images and waiting and waiting.... you could try leaving it for 15 minutes just to see if it eventually gets past whatever is stalling it.

Well.... It would take a while and hassle to figure out what is going wrong so in this case I will recommend doing what was commonly suggested for OpenRPG problems two years ago which is reinstall everything. Do save your myfiles stuff somewhere first. Uninstall the python and wxpython too. Clean sweep. In the old days they recommended cleaning the registry too but I don't think that will be an issue.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:29 am

rikadyn wrote:
then after skipping the update, and trying to browse servers:

Code:
  File "C:\Program Files\OpenRPG\orpg\networking\gsclient.py", line 580 in refresh_server_list
  File "C:\Program Files\OpenRPG\orpg\networking\meta_server_lib.py" line 156, in get_server_list
    return_list = sorted(etree.getroot().findall('server'), sorter_func)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'etree' referenced before assignment
NONE

It's a problem with element tree.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:32 am
Profile YIM WWW

Did a full reinstall

Code:

File "C:\Program Files\OpenRPG\orpg\networking\gsclient.py", line 580, in refresh_server_list
   File "C:\Program Files\OpenRPG\orpg\networking\meta_server_lib.py", line 156, in get_server_list
         return_list = sorted(etree.getroot().findall('server'), sorter_func) UnboundLocalError: local variable 'etree' referenced before assignment

None

Reading Gametree file: myfiles/tree.xml...
done.
Parsing Gametree Nodes
.done

and so far still doesn't open.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:02 am

Try Traipse. It has very few problems.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Why would Traipse work any different? Well sometimes versions do work differently of course, but I'm not sure that's an area I'd expect much difference on. I'm not sure what you mean by it being a problem with element tree. What is happening is that the etree object (ie the xml object) isn't being assigned because OpenRPG can't retrieve the xml it is constructed with. That's a connection issue not the fault of element tree. Is Traipse still using the older XML library, minidom or whatever it was called? It should probably catch the error more nicely but it doesn't stop the execution of the program.

Still by all means he can try installing Traipse. I have both installed. As with other recent versions (since 1.7.7?) it won't hurt to have several OpenRPGs installed.

Ah... I think ... do people know how to download Traipse? It's on Chris' official page now, right?

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:44 pm

I have Traipse installed as well, but it doesn't create it's own shortcut, so i usually forget about it come game time...

Still have the problem seeing servers though...o.O

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:53 pm