View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 68  Next
 Middle-Earth (MERP) RPG (1-3 Openings) 

Post Re: MERP RPG (1 opening)
Wow...My background only gave me a +10 to Per and Ambush I think, a +15 Broadsword, a spell multiplier ring (x2).

Can we implement something, maybe ripped from Rolemaster. where we can improve Attributes and Skills with DPs from leveling? I really want to improve on some stuff with my Dunedain Ranger. As you recall, the online dice roller was brutal to me when we rolled our stats over OpenRPG.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:44 pm

I was just asking about the +30 item. I recall somewhere on this thread that we can get a +15 item for one background point and a +30 for 2. So I'd be using 2 out of 3 points for the item.
You can also (as per the rules) increase 3 stats by one point each for one background point.
So that's my plan for my 3 background points (if approved).

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:55 pm

You rolled a 99 for Str? That is a great roll! hehe

P.S. I made a contact in the playtest for upcoming The One Ring RPG from Cubicle 7 and I have a lot more insider info now. All I can say here is it is not good at all and I think not only will the game fail but people will be hugely disappointed with it overall.

It looks like MERP 2e, Decipher (CODA) LotR, Legends of Middle Earth, and LotR Unisystem will be the way to go for a long time to go.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:07 pm

daddystabz wrote:
Wow...My background only gave me a +10 to Per and Ambush I think, a +15 Broadsword, a spell multiplier ring (x2).

Can we implement something, maybe ripped from Rolemaster. where we can improve Attributes and Skills with DPs from leveling? I really want to improve on some stuff with my Dunedain Ranger. As you recall, the online dice roller was brutal to me when we rolled our stats over OpenRPG.

Unless we redo everything with Rolemaster there is really no way to raise your stats beyond obtaining more magic items or drinking Ent drought or something. You can improve skills by leveling as normal. It's all a matter of how you wish to spend your background options, which is why I posted several responses about it. Yes, you can get a +30 item for 2, but if you want something more it'll be more expensive.

+x armor gives a bonus to your MM and DB. The reason MERP has lasted is because virtually nothing has come along to replace it in detail/trueness to Tolkien. The other RPGs you mentioned are nowhere as good and they failed or never made it beyond fan made versions.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile YIM

I think MERP (unlike RM) was specifically made for ME roleplaying. In a way, I like the fact that it can give me everything in Tolkien's world without overly complicating the rules.
One thing that we should have in mind (for those of us who are more accustomed to D&D) is that the RM/MERP PC is a lot less powerful than his D&D counterpart. It's a sacrifice in power but is rewarded with more realistic characters, who will not be able to decimate castles singlehandedly, no matter what level they are.

Now that you mentioned that +x armor helps DB as well, I might need to reconsider between having the artifact +30 sword or +15 weapon/armor pair in instead. Tough choices...

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 pm

While I agree that RM was not designed with Middle Earth in mind, I still think that you get way more usable PCs from RM. They take a lot longer to create than standard D&D characters, but with that kind of investment you really enjoy playing the PC!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Different question: I noticed that the general consensus is for group Skype.
I'm assuming we'll also be using a VTT? Which one?
I have the latest version of Maptools on my Mac that I use with my D&D group, and it's pretty neat. Which brings me to a confession: I'm using a Mac, so which ever VTT we end using, please make sure there's a Mac version for it (there usually is).

And now for my biggest confession. How do I say this gently...I'm just going to have to say it. Here goes: I never managed to get through the Tolkien series. I've read tons and tons of fantasy books by many authors, but I never could get through LotR. I tried about 4 times. I eventually got through the first one, but got stuck with the second one (somewhere where some treants were reciting poetry for about 20 pages) and I never recovered. Loved the movies (if it counts).

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:31 pm

wysiwyg wrote:
And now for my biggest confession. How do I say this gently...I'm just going to have to say it. Here goes: I never managed to get through the Tolkien series. I've read tons and tons of fantasy books by many authors, but I never could get through LotR. I tried about 4 times. I eventually got through the first one, but got stuck with the second one (somewhere where some treants were reciting poetry for about 20 pages) and I never recovered. Loved the movies (if it counts).

I would suggest giving the books a reading. They are hard to get through (in fact when they sing or quote poetry it irritates me). They are not the only books available on Middle Earth but they give great insight into the world and the mind of the author. Truth be told they are my favorite book series of all time (a close second is becoming the Dresden Files, but I digress). I would read them, even if it hurts. If you have to skim the poetry parts and read the rest (that is what I did the second and beyond times I read them).

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:48 pm

wysiwyg wrote:
Different question: I noticed that the general consensus is for group Skype.
I'm assuming we'll also be using a VTT? Which one?
I have the latest version of Maptools on my Mac that I use with my D&D group, and it's pretty neat. Which brings me to a confession: I'm using a Mac, so which ever VTT we end using, please make sure there's a Mac version for it (there usually is).

The books would be a wise choice to read. I've personally read them over 8 times (LotR/Hobbit, have read the others less, but more for specific stories). This will involve lots of bits from all of the ages, but the game is set in the 4th Age after the War of the Ring. We're playing using OpenRPG with Skype for OOC/game rules discussion. This thread is on the OpenRPG forums, so that should be obvious.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile YIM

Does OpenRPG have a Mac version? I do not recall. I cannot wait to play. I'm in a huge mood for Middle Earth. I just rewatched all my extended DVDs of the films, purchased and am watching the animated movie, and re-reading The Hobbit right now. After I get through that I am revisiting the LotR trilogy and then Unfinished Tales. This will be my first time playing MERP 2e but from what I'm reading I think it will be capture the flavor of Middle Earth well and I like it overall. I'm not sure how the Animist and some of the more over the top magic fits the setting but it is ok the option is there since individual GMs may wish to make some of it off limits, etc.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:44 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 68  Next