View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 68  Next
 Middle-Earth (MERP) RPG (1-3 Openings) 

Post Re: MERP RPG (1 opening)
daddystabz wrote:
Quick question: I was listening to my voice recorder notes of the game tonight and heard under the Animist description that no Channeling spells can be cast by anyone wearing metal armor. It then makes the point that this restriction if not just for the Animist but for every player overall. Wouldn't that be somewhat prohibitive, considering I just upgraded my character's armor to chain? I assume I could still cast my Ranger class spells but just not my Open Channeling ones.

I do still have my leather armor and have it on my sheet that it is not carried on my person, but it is stored in town instead. I could every now and then switch over to leather I guess.

Indeed, I forgot that most spell casting is inhibited by armor, especially metal armor. I might not let that get to bothersome or just impose a penalty to the spellcasting check or something. There are things that will help it magic wise and whatnot too. Chain is worth wearing to protect you, and leave the major spellcasting up to the mage/animist.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am
Profile YIM

Hi Again,

I seems that I've introduced myself on an expired thread, so I'll do so again.

i haven't played MERP in over 15 years, so I'm practically starting over from scratch. But it seems that everyone else is more or less on the same page anyways ;)
I'd like to give this a bash. Anything not in the core (MERP2) rules I should be aware of before making a character?

I noticed that starting gold is 100, and evil races are banned (not that I was planning on playing an orc).
Probably will shoot for a warrior type.

Have you had your first session yet? What are your scheduled times?
My preferences: weekends (Sat/Sun) are great but would prefer 2PM EST (I'm +7 hours ahead).

Keep me posted. (nir AT hydrocore DOT biz).

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:56 am

Hi there! So far we only have one person playing a Warrior. I am playing a Dunedain Ranger. We also have a Dwarven Animist and a Dwarven Mage. We have not played our first session yet.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:58 am

Working on some type of human warrior.
More questions:
1. Staring level?
2. Something was mentioned about raising stats during leveling. Can someone please direct me to the page number about this.
3. Looks like the downside of casting spells is a definite restriction in armor usage. Channeling spells work differently in MERP than divine spells in D&D. There's always rigid leather.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 am

1. Starting level is 1.
3. Yes, armor can be restrictive on spellcasting...namely metal armor. You cannot cast Channeling spells while in metal armor but you can cast your class spells, like Ranger spells, for instance.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:40 am

Aren't the Ranger spells also Channellings too?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:51 am

Not the actual Ranger class spells. Rangers can also cast Open Channeling spells. Those are the ones that cannot be cast while in metal armor.

Everyone: I've been discussing the various Tolkien RPGs over at rpg.net. Have any of you heard of Legends of Middle Earth? People have been raving over it at rpg.net. It might be worth mining for anything we can rip from it: http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/legends-of-middle-earth

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:59 am

Here is another interesting read that details the complete history of Tolkien in RPGs. It has some startling facts and shows the HUGE influence JRR Tolkien had on original D&D, which Gygax later tried to downplay. Be warned though that this is not kind to MERP as a system. It gives credit for the research and writing MERP employed but for the actual rules and how they evoke Middle Earth it is rather critical, especially in regard to spell casting and Animist characters. You can read them here:

PART 1 http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2008/11/brief-history-of-tolkien-rpgs.html
PART 2 http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2008/11/brief-history-of-tolkien-rpgs-part-two.html
PART 3 http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2008/11/brief-history-of-tolkien-rpgs-part.html
PART 4 http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2008/11/brief-history-of-tolkien-rpgs-part-four.html

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Welcome wysiwyg, you're welcome to join. I do have one opening for sure, with perhaps another opening available if the mage or the scout drop out (haven't heard from them in awhile).

You can raise your initial stats a bit using background options and you could also raise them eventually with magic, but otherwise they'll not change very easily. Rolemaster has a method to raise stats from temp to potential over time/leveling.

I'm still waiting on several pcs from the initial party.

Lando The Archmagi wrote:
Game will start in and around the area of Bree and the Barrowdowns. However, pcs need not be from Bree.

Game Time/Day: Saturday evenings 9-1 am EST.
Start Date: To be determined
Timeline: F.A 1
Game: MERP 2e rules with possible Rolemaster expansion later on.
Starting Level: 1st
House Rules: 100 gp to start (ignore 2 gp starting funds), you may pick your background options or roll them randomly. However, if you wish to combine them all into one mighty magic item/heirloom or the like, you must seek approval from me first. Also no Orcs/Trolls/Corsairs/Easterlings/Haradrim/Variags/Black Numenoreans as pc races. Noldor are also going to be rare. Sindar or Silvan elves ok, most other men and dwarves, hobbits are alright. Also you may reroll your attributes if they're all lower then 65 one additional time, keeping the results. Remember that you can replace your lowest stat with a 90 for your prime attribute. Also remember any stat below 20 can be rerolled at any time.

Sheets should be in .doc/.rtf/.txt or pc node files preferred, but the .xls file that trollblood offered will work too. Send me your completed sheets to my email at landothearchmagi at comcast.net.

PARTY
Kyanna - Dwarven Scout?
trollblood2008-Dwarven Animist
daddystabz-Dunedain Ranger
MDDarmoc-Sindarian Magician?
Amaraxis-Rohirrim Warrior?
Opening-your name here

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile YIM

Cool. I'm working on my Dunedain warrior. Got decent stats that I'll use 1 background point to bump 3 of them by one point (and I'll have a 100 for strength once I do that. Awesome ).
I recall seing that we can use 2 background points to get a +30 item. Is that true? If yes, I might go for a +30 broadsword.

Also, what does +x armor (not shield) give?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 68  Next