View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 68  Next
 Middle-Earth (MERP) RPG (1-3 Openings) 

Post Re: MERP RPG (1 opening)
Thank you for pointing that out. I interpreted the skill incorrectly possibly. I took the skill description to mean you still get the skill bonus in terms of the skill itself but if any crit results from the ambush you only count the skill rank, not bonus added to the crit if the ambusher wishes. So I interpreted it to mean you get the +5 Ambush (in my case) to the Ambush attack roll and if I should happen to crit on that attack then I'd simply have the option of adding +1 to it if I wish.

Is this indeed how it works or am I mistaken and I should simply say my Ambush bonus is +1 overall?

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:59 pm

daddystabz wrote:
Thank you for pointing that out.

I just glanced at your sheet, but you forgot to put the -5 penalty for the leg greaves into all your maneuvering in armor skills. I'll look at it more indepth later as I've got lots of errands to run today.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:01 pm
Profile YIM

Found a good .doc file that you can put your character into if you wish (I know I just did mine). Hit me up on skype if you would like it, since this thing will not take the .doc format as an attachment.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Rohirrim Warrior (cavalry).....

Any recommendations in the way of skill selection, hobbies, backgrounds?

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I have now updated my character sheet at the link above to account for the Moving Maneuvers I had forgotten to include the Leg Greaves penalty for and updated with my proper Ambush bonus.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 pm

Amaraxis: I'd suggest personally getting your OBs high for your main weapons, high MM skills in heavy armor, grabbing a good shield, Arm and Leg Greaves, helm and a nice magical weapon for background. For a Warrior of Rohan I'd suggest some skill in Ride and of course, several ranks in Body Development.

P.S. Updated and corrected my character sheet for a few skill bonuses I missed for not having trained ranks in the skill. I had missed a few things because I originally worked on the character by hand with a pencil and character sheet but then before I was done I transferred the work into a PDF I filled in with Foxit Reader.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Done with character except story....where can I find the fillable character sheet?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:03 am

I'll be taking a deeper look at everyone's sheets as time permits. I've gotten 2 so far.

As for a Rohirrim Warrior, I'd definitely make sure you got a few ranks in riding, 1 handed edge and or missile weapon, plus perhaps perception and of course some body development. Maneuvering in chain or rigid leather is good too of course. Anything else is pretty much whatever you feel.

Background options: magic armor, weapons, a magic saddle or something that enhances your riding bonus, special ability/affinity with horses or the like...

Do you want your pc more like Eomer or more like Theoden or someone else in the Rohirrim? The Riders of Rohan supplement is very useful, but hard to find.

Today I picked up a copy of the Children of Hurin and Languages of Middle-Earth for my collection (also ordered the new 2011 official Tolkien calendar).

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:51 am
Profile YIM

Mine wasn't done in a fillable PDF. All you have to do is download the free Foxit reader at http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/addons.php

You can use it instead of Adobe Acrobat reader and it has a built in text tool that will allow you to write all over unprotected PDFs.

P.S. I love both Theoden and Eomer dearly. You cannot go wrong with the legendary horse warrior of the Rohirrim. I soooo wish I could find all the MERP 2e supplements for good prices. It is a shame they do not have the license any longer. I am beginning to love this game dearly. I can see why Lando and trollblood2008 love it so much. The detail and love of the source material really comes through.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:21 am

Quick question for the GM: Are you going to use the by the book exp system as found in the 2e MERP rules or a house-ruled variation, or possibly one of the variations found in other Rolemaster products for how PCs gain exp?

I was just wondering because this exp system is quite possibly the most cumbersome I've ever read in my decades of gaming. I am not GM'ing though but was just wondering what your preference was. Everything else in the book so far I'm really digging.

In terms of my character do you all think I should add a shield? The +25 DB is very tempting but it will encumber me, thus making my MMs even worse than they are now. My DB is pretty low and that worries me, especially given the brutal nature of this game. It is especially brutal on new characters. I also could hardly imagine a mighty Ranger of the north carrying a large shield strapped to his back. I know it is possible but did not match my initial character concept.

Also, Amaraxis: How about this pic for your Warrior? http://www.flickr.com/photos/56302803@N05/5205937207/

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:55 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 68  Next