View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next
 Middle-Earth (MERP) RPG (1-3 Openings) 

Post Re: MERP RPG (1 opening)
no...im in Sioux Falls.....he just posted it on some site and I dled it...

Thinking Haradrim Warrior....since noone else is playing a warrior....

Are we using the optional classes in the appendix?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am

daddystabz wrote:
I am going to read the character creation chapter tonight and try to get my guy done as well. I already read the first part about characters and how they are created but now I am going to read the character creationchapter proper. Right now I just finished the sections on action, static/moving maneuvers, order of actions in a combat round, etc. and I am currently reading about Resistance Rolls. Resistance Rolls have me thoroughly confused from the pathetic explanation in the book in this section.

I live in Georgia. ;) Don't worry to much about RR rolls unless you do something like get poisoned/diseased or want to resist some spell. I'll let you know what you go to do, but if your race gives you a bonus to it, just mark it on your sheet.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:15 am
Profile YIM

Amaraxis wrote:
no...im in Sioux Falls.....he just posted it on some site and I dled it...

Thinking Haradrim Warrior....since noone else is playing a warrior....

Are we using the optional classes in the appendix?

I'll permit most of the optional material in Appendix A-6, depending on concept.

Also no Haradrim/Easterlings, see my original post. You may play any Gondorian, Dunedain, Beornings, Dorwinrim, Eriadorans, Rohirrim, Lossoth, Woodmen..

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:22 am
Profile YIM

A Rohirrim Warrior sounds awesome. It was one of the concepts I was kicking around but I will likely go with Dunedan Ranger if Amaraxis will be our Warrior.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:36 am

daddystabz wrote:
A Rohirrim Warrior sounds awesome. It was one of the concepts I was kicking around but I will likely go with Dunedan Ranger if Amaraxis will be our Warrior.

I recommend Dunedian Ranger, it is what Aragorn was afterall and it is why they were "Rangers of the North", which is a 1st ed MERP supplement detailing them. Also redone in the Arnor 2e supplement. I recommend it for background/reference or read up on them in the various books.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:09 am
Profile YIM

Oh yes, indeed. I am indeed familiar with them. They are the descendants of the mighty Numenorians and I am 99% sure it will be what I will be playing. I've been thinking of my character's backgorund and I was thinking my character will be a Ranger of the North by family lineage, possibly having resided in Bree for a time, and was subsequently appointed by King Elessar to adventure with this group of adventurers for reasons unknown to him at this time.

I am going to be reading my arse off during this campaign not only on MERP 2e material, but Tolkien's writings in general. I want to increase my knowledge of Arda as much as possible...its history, cultures, legends, etc. I also want to learn MERP 2e the best I possibly can and hope Lando will talk a lot on Skype at first to help us solidify the system until we get it down really well. I am embracing it wholly and I am liking what I see. It is a pity the materials are not available for a reasonable price in printed form anymore. At least I have my PDFs. My copy of the core rulebook is in great shape but I am still considering ponying up the cash to purchase a near mint copy of the hardback collector's edition.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 am

I am working on my character right now and I am currently on the background section. After looking over the background options for a Dunedan I am interested in rolling my background options into a magic item of some sort. Would a magic weapon of some type be out of the question as a background family heirloom passed down to me from my ancient Numenorian heritage?

If this is ok can you please tell me what the item is and I will add it? I am not sure whether it is more advisable for me to have a composite bow as my main weapon or a sword. I am thinking sword right now, similar to Aragorn, and using the bow as a secondary weapon.

The issue I'm having right now is that my Intuition stat is so low I do not get any PPs, thus barring me from casting any spells. This is a bad problem and I am not sure what to do to rectify it. The dice roller was seriously borked when I tried to roll this guy. I unfortunately cannot find a way to swap this attribute score with any other without gimping myself. My stat rolls seem to be more suited to a warrior than a Ranger.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 am

ok....your original post didn't say no Haradrim...that is why I pick them....
I'll see what I come up with....

Also, as I understand it....it is impossible to get a stat that is 102+....am I correct in reading this? Since the racial bonuses are for the percentages that are received from the stats and the backgrounds only allow you to rais to 101....

right?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:00 pm

I do believe that is correct, Amaraxis. If you played Haradrim, my character would have to hate you. I am still trying to figure out how I'm going to function with 0 spell points. I really wish I could have had my Intuition stat at the minimum of where I'd have at least 1 spell point. A Ranger with no spells kind of bites.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:37 pm

Any men who served Mordor is banned, that should've been obvious from the discussion. I updated my original post to include Haradrim, Variags, Corsairs etc.

Magic items come in all shapes/sizes and they can make up for low stats and they can grant you PP as well if you need some to learn / cast spells. Your stats can go up in ways too over time.

Depending on how you wish to spend your background options will give you different options to choose from. You can roll randomly or pick or work up something with my help.

First tell me how many ranks in bow and 1handed edged and 2handed edge you got and then you can work with different options.

Here are some examples:

You can substitute any style sword/axe/weapon for these..

1 background option: +15 Broadsword (made of Arborang with Numenorean runes) with scabbard
OR
+1 spell adder (wand/staff or something) or x2 power point multiplier (ring, amulet, brooch etc)
2 background options: +30 Broadsword (made of Arborang with Numenorean runes) with scabbard
OR
+15 Broadsword (made of Arborang with Numenorean runes) with scabbard
+15 Bow or Thrown missile weapon made of some fine wood/steel (I'll look up the material)

You could spend more pts to get something like "of Slaying Orcs" or the like too. Or you could spend an option to get an item like a pair of magic boots/cloak or some other device that enhances a skill +15 bonus or something.

There are lots of examples in the books/supplements or just run your ideas by me.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:50 pm
Profile YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next