View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 68  Next
 Middle-Earth (MERP) RPG (1-3 Openings) 

Post Re: MERP RPG (1 opening)
daddystabz wrote:
In terms of my character do you all think I should add a shield? The +25 DB is very tempting but it will encumber me, thus making my MMs even worse than they are now. My DB is pretty low and that worries me, especially given the brutal nature of this game. It is especially brutal on new characters. I also could hardly imagine a mighty Ranger of the north carrying a large shield strapped to his back. I know it is possible but did not match my initial character concept.

Also, Amaraxis: How about this pic for your Warrior? http://www.flickr.com/photos/56302803@N05/5205937207/

I'm pleased to see you changing your mind about MERP. ;) It is a very detailed system, sure, its got its flaws and merits like any other system, but considering how its loved after being over 20 yrs old and out of print says something.

Shields are very useful for their DB bonus which you only get while the shield is protecting your front. (no rear/side unless you turn). So while its good, its really better to take something that enhances your AG bonus or magical armor or some DB protective device. The better you maneuver in armor, the less likely you're to get smacked, also the heavier armor (chain and plate) protect better unless someone rolls exceedingly high on their open ended die roll.

So if you can handle a shield, take it, else you might want +15 chain or something as it would give you +15 DB.

Did you look at my example of Aerin?

Indeed, the experience system is pretty wacky. It can work, but you got to print copies of the table and track it per every adventure. I'll probably just use my own system or a variant of it since there are lots of ways to award xp. I always award more for roleplaying/storytelling, but combat being dangerous in MERP will have its rewards too.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:54 pm
Profile YIM

Would you be so kind as to link me to your Ranger again, Lando, please? I have my toon set up to where Rigid Leather currently. I really wanted to avoid a shield in order to avoid suffering an encumbrance penalty. I'm not sure what I may do as yet to improve my DB.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:29 pm

daddystabz wrote:
Would you be so kind as to link me to your Ranger again, Lando, please? I have my toon set up to where Rigid Leather currently. I really wanted to avoid a shield in order to avoid suffering an encumbrance penalty. I'm not sure what I may do as yet to improve my DB.

Take a look at your ranks in maneuvering in armor and redo any points you spent to put most in chain, chain will protect you better. Also remember you get free suit of armor (no greaves or helm, those you must buy) to start with per the outfitting notes. Also, recall that Aragorn worn chainmail during several scenes in the movies (and throughout the books). He's even described with it in Rangers of the North/Arnor supplements.

Also Gimi wore chain and even Frodo, but Frodo had Bilbo's mithril shirt.

Here is a link to my pc from the defunct pbp game.

http://plothook.net/RPG/showthread.php?t=16622

If you notice, my Ranger has chain armor, metal greaves, metal helm and a shield. She of course drops/slings the shield to use her bow, but otherwise, she's walking with good Arnorian steel protecting her.

I'm actually running a MERP game on the same site, going to kick it back up in gear hopefully.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile YIM

Lando's Ranger: Those are some mighty high attributes on that character! 4 out of 6 are 90-somethings and an 88!

I updated my Ranger and purchased the relevant equipment. I still kept my Rigid Leather armor and leather Arm/Leg Greaves but noted I left them in town. I consider them ceremonial for a Ranger of the North and as such, I own a set but do not carry them with me on this adventure. They may come in handy in the future. I added Arnorian Chain armor and Arm/Leg Greaves. I updated my weight allowance for all this new equipment and recalculated encumbrance, not counting my armor and greaves, of course. I also added an Arnorian Shield and added the bonus to my DB. I added a metal Arnorian Helm as well and took the penalty to my Perception. I also removed 1 pt from Rigid Leather MM and put it instead in Chain MM. My character has been updated in Google Docs.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:54 pm

daddystabz wrote:
I added a metal Arnorian Helm as well and took the penalty to my Perception. I also removed 1 pt from Rigid Leather MM and put it instead in Chain MM. My character has been updated in Google Docs.

Yea, the die roller on that site was good to me that day, the light of the Valinor shone on me. Alas, the game didn't last beyond one and half chapters.
Yea, adding the flavor of the culture/style of the armor is always a detail I enjoyed with Tolkien. The dwarves, elves and men were often showing off their crafting skills.

Having two sets of armor isn't a bad idea, armor along with weapons and other gear can be destroyed by certain type of critical hits. I assume you paid for the one set that wasn't free with your starting gear.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:17 am
Profile YIM

Yeah. I subtracted the chain armor, the shield and the metal greaves/helm from my cash. I used the leather stuff as my free armor from char gen.

P.S: Apparently the dark lord likes burgers
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56302803@N05/5207550201/

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:35 am

For any and all who are interested I am thinking of running a Spacemaster: Privateers game. Think Rolemaster in space, which works for me, if no one else.

BTW Lando, did I need to fix anything on my sheet for my animist?

Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:34 pm

trollblood2008 wrote:
For any and all who are interested I am thinking of running a Spacemaster: Privateers game. Think Rolemaster in space, which works for me, if no one else.

I looks alright, just wondering what you spent your other background options on. I only have yours and daddystabz's pcs so far.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:30 pm
Profile YIM

Quick question: I was listening to my voice recorder notes of the game tonight and heard under the Animist description that no Channeling spells can be cast by anyone wearing metal armor. It then makes the point that this restriction if not just for the Animist but for every player overall. Wouldn't that be somewhat prohibitive, considering I just upgraded my character's armor to chain? I assume I could still cast my Ranger class spells but just not my Open Channeling ones.

I do still have my leather armor and have it on my sheet that it is not carried on my person, but it is stored in town instead. I could every now and then switch over to leather I guess. I am guessing though that I will not be using these spells that much anyhow.

Last edited by daddystabz on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:06 am

Lando The Archmagi wrote:
trollblood2008 wrote:

I looks alright, just wondering what you spent your other background options on. I only have yours and daddystabz's pcs so far.

You should have an updated sheet in .doc format with a box full of my background options. if not I can tell you, they are Resistant to Pain, Proficient with spells, +15 item, and Resistance.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 68  Next