View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 InterestCheck:Sunday Pathfinder Lvl17 Module:Witchwar Legacy 

Post InterestCheck:Sunday Pathfinder Lvl17 Module:Witchwar Legacy
Tentative Time: Sundays 3pm-7pm EST

Seeking 4 Players

25 point buy, 410,000 gp to buy equipment, all Paizo-Published materials allowed, third party allowed on case-by-case basis, hit points after first level based on following
HD Hit Points
6 4
8 6
10 8
12 10

We will start 1 week after I get 4 completed characters. Module information and area information below.

Full disclosure: While I have decades of gaming experience, including some wacky extremely high powered games, I haven't run a 3.x/Pathfinder game of this high a level before.

Pathfinder Module: The Witchwar Legacy (PFRPG)
Paizo Publishing, LLC

A wintry wilderness and dungeon adventure for 17th-level characters.

Entombed in the Ice

The witch queens of Irrisen must abdicate their thrones every 100 years when their mother, Baba Yaga, places a new daughter on the throne. But one queen was unwilling to relinquish her rule, and led a doomed rebellion against the Mother of Witches. fterward, Baba Yaga entombed her wayward daughter in an icy necropolis known as the Veil of Frozen Tears, along with a powerful artifact called the Torc of Kostchtchie, hiding them both far from mortal eyes.

Now, almost 500 years later, the tomb has been found, and the race is on to plunder its treasures. Will the PCs follow Elvanna, the current queen of Irrisen, in her attempt to recover the Torc, or will they join forces with the demon lord Kostchtchie? What secrets does the Veil of Frozen Tears conceal? Can the PCs reclaim the lost artifact and keep it from those who also seek its power, or will they fall victim to the denizens of the tomb and end up as eternal guardians themselves?

The Witchwar Legacy is an adventure for 17th-level characters, written for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and compatible with the 3.5 edition of the world's oldest RPG. The adventure features an icy necropolis frozen in time, cursed dragons, twisted giants, and the fell magics and devious riddles of the Queen of Witches herself! It also includes a description of the frost giant fortress of Holvirgang, and a new monster, the extraplanar scions of the titans called the Abyss gigas. This adventure is set in the northern reaches of the wintry land of Irrisen in the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can be easily adapted for any game world.

Written by Greg A. Vaughan

Irrisen (pronounced IHR-ih-sehn)[1] is a harsh cold northern land covered in the snow and ice of a winter that has lasted centuries. The snow never melts, and almost as omnipresent as the snow and ice, is the feeling of dread that pervades the whole of Irrisen, for as harsh and unforgiving as the land is, it is nothing compared to those who rule it. The land is governed by the white witches of Irrisen, the grand daughters of the terrible crone Baba Yaga. All the white witches are obedient to their queen, who is a daughter of Baba Yaga herself.

Government
Irrisen is, in some ways, run by quite a conventional monarchy. There is only one ruler whose word is absolute and whose power is unassailable. However, unlike almost every other monarchy on Golarion, Irrisen is not a hereditary monarchy. Instead, the monarch is chosen by the witch Baba Yaga who originally founded Irrisen over a thousand years ago. Every century, she returns from her endless wanderings amongst the planes to place a new daughter in charge of Irrisen; the old daughter leaves with Baba Yaga to view the infinite wonders of the multi-verse by her side. Baba Yaga also takes all of her daughter's children (Baba Yaga's grandchildren) with her; this means that every hundred years. there is a complete change of leadership and aristocracy of Irrisen. The grand children of the queen (the great grand children of Baba Yaga) are left behind and are one of the lasting legacies of any previous queen of Irrisen.
Irrisen does not have particularly good relationships with any of its neighbours. Its least hostile relationship is probably with Varisia. as it is separated by the near impassible Kodar Mountains. so they have very little interaction. Irrisen is currently in an uneasy truce with the Realm of the Mammoth Lords, though the reign of the current queen is coming to an end and some wonder how long this truce will last. Many have pointed to a build up of Irrisen's troops paroling its eastern border as proof that this truce will not last much longer. To the west, the Lands of the Linnorm Kings are even more hostile towards Irrisen. The proud Ulfen that inhabit the Land of the Linnorm Kings have not forgotten how Irrisen was once a part of their lands and how the treacherous crone Baba Yaga stole the land from them, even if that was over a thousand years ago. Along this turbulent border, the white witches have erected huts much like Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut to ward of trespassers. These huts each contain only a single porcelain doll in the imagine of a crone. Each of these dolls contain the corrupted soul of a stolen child, at night these dolls come alive and hunt any foolish enough to invade Irrisen.[2]

History

The history of Irrisen as a nation begins in 3313 AR - before this, the lands that now make up Irrisen belonged to the Lands of the Linnorm Kings. The winter of 3313 AR was particularly cold and harsh, even by the standards of the north. The first warning the men of the Lands of the Linnorm Kings received of Baba Yaga's fell intent was when her armies of cold fey and blue skinned ice trolls marched down from the Crown of the World. Led by Baba Yaga herself, the queen of witches was all but unstoppable, killing any who resisted her and enslaving the rest. It took her less than a month to claim the lands that she wanted, that would become Irrisen. Strangely enough, almost as soon as she had conquered Irrisen, Baba Yaga seemed to lose interest in it. Instead she installed one of her daughters as the reigning monarch. Shortly afterwards, Baba Yaga returned to her life roaming the myriad planes as her whims desired. After a hundred years, she returned and placed a new daughter in charge of Irrisen. This pattern has repeated itself every century with Baba Yaga returning to place a new daughter on the throne and take the previous monarch with her to travel the planes.[2]

Geography
Irrisen is a land dominated by the cold. It sits at the northern most limits of Avistan and borders on the edge of the Crown of the World with its glacial sheets forming Irrisen's northern border. Its northern location is not the only reason for its cold climate. Ever since being conquered by Baba Yaga Irrisen has been locked in an eternal winter. This harsh eternal winter gives Irrisen a palpable sense of dread. The second biggest feature of Irrisen is Glacier Lake which takes up a large area within Irrisen's interior. Two of Irrisen's three largest settlements are built either on its shore or on on of the rivers connected to it. Irrisen's capital Whitethrone sits on its north eastern shore.[2]

Settlements
• Algidheart
The city of Algidheart (population 6,720[1]) is in Irrisen. It lies to the west of Glacier Lake, on a river which flows into the Lands of the Linnorm Kings and eventually becomes known as the Rimeflow.[2]
Its buildings are built upon bridges across the river, and rise to staggering heights. They are connected by a tangled network of platforms, ladders and ramps.[3]

• Hoarwood
The city of Hoarwood is in the cold, northern nation of Irrisen. It is situated at the heart of the Hoarwood Forest. The entire city is carved from the trunk of a petrified tree of incredible size. Its only other claim to fame is the wild debauchery of the constant parties thrown by its ruler, Anelisha.[1]

Whitethrone

Home to the jadwiga ("children of the witch-mother"), the descendents of the witch Baba Yaga, Whitethrone is a playground for evil nobles, with Queen Elvannia's family enjoying the last few years of its ruling legacy before her mother instills another daughter to rule for a century. The city is home to snow goblins, ice trolls, and even winter wolves and worgs, all of them with the same rights as humanfolk. Visitors must beware, for Baba Yaga cast a spell on the Howlings district that allows the lupines to walk in human form to more easily interact with the two-legged population; the people of Whitethrone know better than to hunt wolves outside the city, or insult the shaggy-haired men and women whose breaths fog the air on even the warmest days.[1]

“Surviving a visit to Whitethrone is a lot like surviving a visit to Baba Yaga’s dancing hut. I’ve done both, and
I’ll share with you the trick: you must obey the smallest rules of etiquette, demonstrate unfailing politeness in
the face of contempt and condescension, and most of all evince no surprise at the most egregious suspensions
of common sense. Anything less may find your bones ground into meal. Follow these instructions, however,
and you may find your visit quite profitable, and in quite unexpected ways.”

—Dyso Vadrasethi, Almanac of Nations: Avistan

Visitors are wise to remember that Whitethrone is inhabited primarily by monsters and people from another world. The descendents of Baba Yaga, the jadwiga (meaning “children of the witch-mother”) came from an unknown realm far beyond the stars or planes, and while they are identical to the humans of this world, their ways are not entirely the ways of Golarion. The jadwiga rule Whitethrone absolutely, each in his or her own ruthless ways.
What makes life in Whitethrone both bearable and dangerous in turn is that these descendents are not always aligned with each other, and sometimes oppose each other directly. To survive in Whitethrone for any length of time outside of the tight strictures and closed world of the licensed merchants, visitors must learn the trick of playing these forces against one another, using them to block potential enemies and in turn shelter themselves and their plans. When not dodging jadwiga and their plots, adventurers can try their hands at coexisting with a variety of monsters who would ordinarily consider them food—for snow goblins, ice trolls, and winter wolves dwell in Whitethrone as citizens.
Another important point to remember is that Whitethrone is not intended for outsiders. The city is the hub of a network of world domination and a playground for the families of the ruling daughters of Baba Yaga. Heroes are typically seen as part of the world to be dominated or toys on this playground, so PCs would be well advised to spend their time in Whitethrone making sure their actions have some direct benefit to someone more important than themselves. As far as the rulers of Whitethrone are concerned, utility is the only reason humanity has a place in Whitethrone and not the Bone Mill (see page 60). A clever group of visitors can fit in long enough to do their business and get out—for longer stays in Whitethrone almost always end in tragedy.

People
The people of Irrisen generally come trace their heritage to one of two sources. Either they are descended from the Ulfen that ere enslaved by Baba Yaga or they are distantly descended from one of Irrisens previous queens. Regardless of their heritage the people adore the white witches though no one know whether this is genuine adoration or simply a result of Irrisen citizens fear of the terrifying witches. This adoration is put to the test when the changing of queens is imminent as before the arrival of Baba Yaga three knights; the white rider, the red rider and the black rider roam Irrisen assessing the loyalty of Baba Yaga's subjects. Those they find to be truly loyal are awarded with boons while cursing or completely destroying those they find to be disloyal. The people of Irrisen are generally quite isolated from the rest of Golarion as few traders ever visit Irrisen and just as few resident muster the courage to attempt to leave. They generally spend their days tending what few crops will grow in the harsh conditions.[2][3]

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:44 am

Post Re: InterestCheck:Sunday Pathfinder Lvl17 Module:Witchwar Legacy
I'm interested in playing and the time and day are perfect for my schedule. I'm a longtime player from Basic to 3.5 and most other games besides d20. I have yet to play Pathfinder, but I have picked up some of the books and have access to the SRD.

Due to so many changes, I will probably want to play a melee or physical ranged class...at least something definitely light on magic so I don't slow the game trying to keep track of the new or changed spellls. =) So far, a monk, or maybe a rogue, looks the best fit for me, but we'll see.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:43 am

I'm certainly interested in this, as a short term diversion. I wouldn't mind the opportunity to try playing at a level this high (My previous record is 14). I'm a very experienced player, and I am quite familiar with both the setting of Pathfinder, and new game material for it. I can fill any role depending on what the party needs.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:31 am

I'm interested in playing if you'll have me

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 am

Ok folks, please send your character sheets and descriptive information to me at

strattonel
at yahoo.com

Thanks

Reckless

EDIT: two traits allowed as well

Last edited by Reckless on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:44 pm

I have a character sheet mostly finished by DisFanJen, a two-weapon fighter build. If you guys want to discuss your roles/characters before you all make similar builds to each other, this is the place to do it.

Thanks for your interest.

Stratton aka Reckless

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Huh?

A) the interest disappeared?

B) We're quietly working on our characters?

C) RL is complicating things but we're still interested?

D) ????

I ask because

1) nothing posted here and no emails.

2) I have another person interested, and if any of you apply to category A, I'd like to get him started so we can get closer to gaming

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Sorry about not having posted anything. I'm definitely a C though. I had midterms this past week and the first part of this week. Should have something ready by Thursday, I hope.
Also, I can play whatever, but since I know a lot of people don't like playing healers, I might go with a healer style cleric or oracle.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:26 am

Thanks LillithDante. No problems, as I only have the 1 character submitted so far. Yeah, a Cleric or Oracle would probably be appreciated somewhere in the mix, right?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Alas, I can only play in the evening due to other f2f gaming during the afternoon, otherwise I'd be very interested.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 pm
Profile YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next