View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

New GMT player seeking group 

Post New GMT player seeking group
Hi all,

I'm a GMT-based player, totally new to OpenRPG, but very familiar with D&D3.5, FR lore, and various subgroups of text-based roleplay. I have limited experience DMing, and suppose I'm up for that too, though it might be more sensible to start out as a player.

Starved of PnP due to lack of interest in my area, what I'm actually doing is seeking the familiar (i.e. 3.5, FR, etc) but I'm perfectly willing to branch out and try new things as well.

I'm available to play currently only between about 17:00 and 22:00 most evenings, later on Fridays and Saturdays, but in a few weeks I ought to be able to do any time except early morning (I'm not a morning person).

If I'm being stupid and ought to have noticed a relevant post already there, then I'm sorry. Call me an idiot, but the mind boggled at the vast array of different things here, there and yonder, and I'll admit I'm a bit shy about asking to join specific groups, particularly when I only recognise half the systems, and have never played in most of them. :P

Thankyou,
Cyanobot

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Post Re: New GMT player seeking group
Did you ever find a group? I'm in similar circumstances.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:26 am

Kuro wrote:
Did you ever find a group? I'm in similar circumstances.

Ditto here for familiar circumstances. I'd be nice if some experienced players took their time every so often to help out those who aren't as experienced, but then again we all have our personal needs and are all limited in time to help and such. It'd be kind of cool if this thread grew into a group, maybe start a campaign from the people in here if we can find a DM?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:50 pm

I've been thinking about starting a third weekly game for a while but I haven't really given it much thought. Building a reliable, stable group/campaign is a lot of work. Players only see half of it. What they don't see is the actual effort that goes into making sure that everything goes off without a hitch on a weekly basis.

@Cyanobot: 1700 to 2200 your time is 1200 to 1700 my time. Not conducive to DMing because I work during the day. Fridays and Saturdays are closed off because I already have two weekly games on those days and those aren't going anywhere.

@CrazyPurpleApple: I hear your pain. Another stumbling block is that I refuse to run a 3.x D&D game again. I tried it for several years and ended up hating the system. So if I do start another weekly game, it's going to be 2nd edition AD&D -- but the problem is, good luck to me in attracting people who will want to try things out. Most players in my experience prefer 3.x D&D, 4E D&D, Forgotten Realms and Eberron. They may say they're willing to learn other systems/worlds/settings but rarely do they mean it. If I were to advertise for a game set in Andurin, I might get one reply. But if I advertised for a game set in the Realms, I'd have more replies than I knew what to do with.

Personally I think FR is boring. The only way I'll ever DM another FR campaign is if (a) the rules are 2nd edition and (b) if the timeline is set prior to the 1352 DR (the Year of the Dragon). That way the storyline can go in any direction without having to worry about some player saying "it didn't happen that way because it's not in the books!"

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:59 pm

I'd be very happy to play AD&D 2.0 rules as that's all I've ever known. I'm not the most experienced with it as there's not many people around here who's interested in tabletop RPG any more since video games took over. However I don't think it allows you the freedom and character development. I'm new to the whole OpenRPG thing so may need some time to adjust and learn as we play but if you'll have the patience with me I learn fast and show commitment. If you are interested in throwing a group together I'm very interested. Email me on Scottpalmer_666@hotmail.com and title it DnD or something to that effect. If you prefer to play other rules as well I don't mind learning but I'm more comfortable with 2.0. With the whole time set of things I've never really dived that far into it so I have no objections how you set it out. Hope to hear from you guys.

Kuro.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:37 am

Kuro wrote:
I'd be very happy to play AD&D 2.0 rules as that's all I've ever known. I'm not the most experienced with it as there's not many people around here who's interested in tabletop RPG any more since video games took over. However I don't think it allows you the freedom and character development. I'm new to the whole OpenRPG thing so may need some time to adjust and learn as we play but if you'll have the patience with me I learn fast and show commitment. If you are interested in throwing a group together I'm very interested. Email me on Scottpalmer_666@hotmail.com and title it DnD or something to that effect. If you prefer to play other rules as well I don't mind learning but I'm more comfortable with 2.0. With the whole time set of things I've never really dived that far into it so I have no objections how you set it out. Hope to hear from you guys.

Kuro.

I disagree. It allows you as much freedom as you have imagination.

People who play 3.x and newer editions need to get away from "the rules tell me how to develop my character" and return to "my imagination allows me to develop my character".

I'll shut up now.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:58 am

I agree entirely. I have quite a sporadic imagination so I tend to do things "out of the box" and love the freedom of the game that way. Instead of a specific path line and mechanics of things you have free roam (trying not to make it too difficult for the DM though) and it makes the whole game for me that bit more exciting. I do however have a tendency to be cheap and make use of what's around me for weaponry as opposed to buying it hahah. (Sometime, depending on my race/class/alignment I also make a difficult character for my party. Such as I played a gnome who was particularly forgetful and kept dropping key quest items. haha).

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:05 am

I started a game recently that runs from around 7 pm GMT (though it's supposed to start at 6, hardly anyone shows up until 7 or 7:30) until around 10 or 11 pm GMT on Sundays.

I'm sitting on the OpenRPG Dev II server right now, waiting for my group, but we still have room for another player. It's 3.5 D&D set in Oerth, the World of Greyhawk, starting in the Archbarony of Ratik, 1st-level right now, 32-point-buy for ability scores, max HP at every level (they'll need it....), and max starting gold for 1st-level based on class. A mix of adventures from Dungeon Magazine and my own adventures inbetween, with an overall plot that will gradually become more significant over time. The campaign and room-name is Ark's Oerth Adventures.

The recruiting thread is here http://www.rpgobjects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=513&start=50 and you'll find a bit more info there.

That aside, I still like 2E AD&D (it's what I started with), and I usually run more freeform campaigns using 3.x rules, but I don't have the Core Rules 2.0 CD-ROM installed on this computer so I don't have the 2E rules readily available (I couldn't afford the books until it was too late, so I just bought the CDs, then got into 3E as I finally had a job and spending money).

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:59 pm

I have the AD&D CD personally and if you would like a copy of the content in regards to the books listed in it, the information is easily extractable and I can email them to you. Also there's a few links online that allow you to download the ROM to your PC with a crack that allows you to run the entire features without the CD itself. Let me know which you'd prefer and I'll email them you, I'll also reply on your recruiting thread if you're comfortable with having a complete newbie both to 3.5 and OpenRPG in your games.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 am

No, I still have the CDs, I just don't have them installed on this machine. It's old and buggy and I don't trust it to handle any big programs anymore without suffering serious glitches (can't play computer games on this computer anymore, they stopped working, OpenRPG is the closest thing that still works on it).

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:56 am