View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 am

Long-term sandbox-style 3.5E game starting [Stonereach] 

Post Long-term sandbox-style 3.5E game starting [Stonereach]
Hi everyone!

I'm a very long-term GM (been playing RPGs since about 1982 or 1983) who hasn't done any gaming in quite a while because of life conflicts, but I am looking to get back into it. I'm trying to get a large gathering of players together for a new campaign I'm starting.

Basically, it's a sandbox-exploration style D&D 3.5E game. I have some players who will be running groups in person so far, but I'd like to get more folks involved if I can. Basically, the idea is that there will be one region that the PCs are exploring on behalf of the local officials. However, there will not be one unified party. Instead, the PCs will all be independent adventurers who can team up as they desire to go on specific expeditions. I assure you that there is plenty to do, see, and loot, and I want the game to be as player-driven as possible. This is similar in concept to Ben Robbins' West Marches campaign (you can read about it at arsludi.lamemage.com if you're interested).

Basically, I would like there to be a good-sized collection of players involved who can schedule game sessions with specific objectives, recruit folks to help them out as desired, etc., not all of which would be active at any one time, but all of whom would be involved in gathering and sharing knowledge about what is out there, reporting back to their peers (or not) about what they find and gradually making the place safer and delving deeper into the uncharted wilderness.

There are two main tools (other than openrpg) that I plan to use for this. The first is a Wiki site (stonereach.wikidot.com) which all active players will be able to edit, and which will serve as a clearinghouse for whatever information players want to share with the collective adventurer society--adventure reports, detailed information about monsters encountered, treasure found, rumors encountered, etc.

The second is a google group that we will use for scheduling events. All the players will be on this list and will be able to arrange expeditions with their fellow players. As long as a time and day work for me (the GM), you can plan events for whenever--so long as you have a group of 3 or more characters willing to make the trip and a set goal in mind (even if it's a nebulous one).

So, I know this is a lot of reading to do, but I hope it was worth it. Please take a look at stonereach.wikidot.com and either apply on there for membership to join our group, or email me and we can work out how to get you involved! shaun dot m dot haskins at gmail dot com

Thanks!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Post Re: Long-term sandbox-style 3.5E game starting [Stonereach]
I'm very interested. I'll send you an email.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 am

Thanks, Bill! I wrote back--let's see if we can get some more interested players on here!

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:35 pm

We have two players so far--one more and we can get our first OpenRPG session up and running!

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Sounds good :D

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 am

Awesome! To start off with, we're working from just the 3.5 PHB, so you can use any of the classes/feats/skills in there, and any race minus the half-orc to start. If you want to put together a standard 25 stat point buy character at lvl 1 and email it to me in whatever form at the address above along with a quick character description, we'll be on the road to success!

Thanks

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:49 am

Aww no half orc but okay I will be right on that

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:58 am

Awesome to hear it! I saw you signed up on the wiki. Put together a character sheet and email me with it at the address in the original post here and I will get you invited to the google group. Once I get you and one other player set up on the google group for scheduling we can figure out a time for our first session!

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Sounds fun and promising.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Just a quick note: we will be using Traipse and not vanilla OpenRPG for this game. It is really easy to download and get set up, so it should be no problem, and you can easily run them in parallel so it won't interfere with your other games.

Thanks,

Shaun

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:21 pm