View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Small D&D 3.5 Group looking for experienced DM! 

Post Small D&D 3.5 Group looking for experienced DM!
Small D&D 3.5 group of three looking for an experienced DM after our previous one vanished on us. We have access to most of the WoTC books available, a moderate knowledge in regard to 3,5 as a whole, and would be up for running just about any campaign or module, so long as the DM doesn't vanish on us (a big criteria). Players are mainly EST, with one is PST, and would not be opposed to looking for more players too, should the DM desire it. More details discussed upon contact (although most of it's listed here already).

If interested, please send an email to lokey57@gmail.com, or reply to this thread.

Thanks in advance!

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:10 am

Post Re: Small D&D 3.5 Group looking for experienced DM!
Yo Lokey, if you're going to need another player. Sign me up.

Edit : As long as times permit of course

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm

A person with Smiles in their username seems good in my book! :D

...but I'll let Lokey make all of the fancy decisions. *one of the members of the group*

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Sure :P, but we still need a DM. That's the main issue here.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Email sent...

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Email received. Reply sent as well.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Ok, here's the deal. I am up for DM'ing a game, as it's been a long time. If this type of format suits you and your group, let me know:

Time/Date:
Weekends preferably. Could do sessions of 3-4 hours, but would like to send out a 'Next Gaming Session' post for everyone to see what date/time would be good for everyone. This should help in those cases that someone is going to be out one day, and if the others want to switch it to Sat/Sun instead, it could work in everyone's favor. It will be in the following format: I am available the following dates/times. Vote on which ones you can attend, and the date that has the most attendance will be set.

Format:
If going with Homebrew, I would go with all core classes/races, with ability to add other classes from WotC Supplement Books (with DM approval). Core Pantheon used for deities. Mix of combat, RP'ing, and things that make you think! Players to start at first level, if you all agree to it.

NO PSIONICS
Starting level: 1
Character Creation Guidelines:
You have 28 D6 dice. You can assign any number of dice to a stat, but will only be able to take the top 3 die rolls for that stat. Example: STR: 4d6, DEX: 4d6, CON: 5d6, INT: 7d6, WIS: 4d6, CHA: 4d6. For STR, I would then roll 4d6, and keep the highest 3 rolls to be used for STR. INT on the other hand would get 7 dice rolled, but again, only keep the top 3 rolls. You will be able to swap ONE set of stats, nothing else. So, if those 4d6 get you an 18, and yet the 7d6 grant you a measly 12, then you can swap those two scores. Remember, only one swap allowed!
Alignment: Nothing Evil
Starting Wealth: Max for Class
Leveling: Two options. First - Objectives. You will have objectives. Once you clear them, you may level. Some of them will be complex, with different goals, but one main objective. Second option - XP. XP will be dished out for RP'ing, Combat, and Bonus XP for unusual circumstances/clever ideas/etc.

Background:
The current times have been quiet for the most part. It has been a long time since the name of Maximo Stonefist had been heard, other than wild stories of adventures and monsters. He has long since given up the brave life of adventuring and has been rumored to be living in a city by the name of Springside. Springside is a city that dwells in a lower valley beneath some mountains. It has always been a nice town, with the occasional chance for adventure popping up here and there. Many adventurers have made it their goal to make it to Springside, meet with Maximo, and learn all that they can from him. His teachings have been known to prove many adventurers as heroes in their own right. This is your destiny and your first decision is to make it to Springside. Be it for fame, riches, self discipline, or whatever, you have made your way to the roads to Springside... and that is where your adventure begins.

Ok - now I need some background info on the players. Experience, preference to Campaign Formats, etc. Pet peeves as well, to make sure we tailor this so that everyone has fun.

Campaign Voting:
1 - The Hands of Fate - Chosen heroes are sought to band together, defeat an evil that has been dormant for ages, and now is building it's own army. Special powers are found in each hero, (and will be tailored to each individual player) that seem to grow with the players. 4 Players required to make this one work well. Up to 6 players max. Homebrew Campaign.

2 - A Series of Misadventures - This type of campaign will be setup to where each of you are eventually enrolled into the Academy. You will have training, exploring of the local region, as well as 'Odd Jobs' that patrons from around the world come to Springside for assistance. You will be given the choice to pick a job, and see it through one way or another. Options to pick up an NPC will be readily available. 3 Players minimum, with ongoing chance to pick up a new player as new 'Jobs' begin.

3 - PLAYERS CHOICE - Let me know if you are seeking another type of game and I will see what I can do.

Questions?

Thanks!
PitFighter

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Well, I suppose I'll take this time to introduce myself~

Hi PitFighter! I'm Kuin! Very nice to meet you. Thank you very much for offering your DM services.

Out of our small group, I'm probably the least experienced, but I know what I'm doing. I started playing D&D 3.5 about a year ago, with no prior D&D experience, but I've been roleplaying since I was just a little kid. In the past, I've played a Psion, Rogue, Monk, Rogue/Assassin, and Psion/Warlock (gestalt). Sadly, I haven't been in a group that has played for very long, so I don't have a lot of long-term experience.

As for pet peeves, the only one that comes to mind is not having room for humor. I don't like it when a campaign is 100% serious. A funny or amusing situation here to there makes everything so much better for me.

Now, for the voting portion!

- Weekends are great for me. I don't go out a lot, so I'm often free. The occasional family party or whatnot may interrupt, but that can't be controlled.
- Level 1 sounds great. I've never played a level 1 campaign, and I've wanted to for a while.
- I like your system for character stats. A lot.
- I would prefer the objectives system over the XP system, but that's just me.
- Although the first campaign seems good, I would really like the second campaign.

Thank you again for offering to be our DM. I appreciate you taking the time to do this very much. If you have any more questions for me, feel free to just reply here. I get e-mail notices for this thread. It's nice meeting you! :D

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:27 am

Mmm... I'll answer and comment on what I can for now, although this might make the thread cluttered fast.

Time/Date

Weekends are fine for me, they don't conflict with my other campaigns and I'm generally available on those days.

Format

Core classes/pantheon of deities sound great actually. It always gets rather silly when people begin pulling out things like five eyed pixie warlocks and what not. That said...I may actually be inclined toward a warblade if permitted this time around, mainly as I have yet to ever play the "main attacker" type.

Character Creation: Don't particularly like this form of character creation, or hate it. Mainly as the dice always seem to screw with me. But then again, I still prefer it over 5d6b3 or arrays I suppose. (Here's hoping any "wizard" I may try to make this time doesn't end up being a sorcerer with 18 str and more health than the barbarian.) Max starting wealth for a class is nice though, less shenanigans.

Leveling: While the objectives option seems interesting... I am very disinclined to discard the xp system all together. Mainly as I feel that if we were to do so, it would start drifting away from being a Tabletop RPG and becoming simply a roleplay (not that's necessarily bad). Perhaps of mix of the two?

Background: Would Maximo so happen to be a dwarf? Just curious. Seems like a good plothook nonetheless though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Campaign Experience: I would say roughly about a year and a half's worth of D&D experience actually, with a few other systems in between every now and then. Started off being the party face, the rogue, which I enjoyed to quite an extent. Following which I started taking more of a "back seat" as the party wizard, druid, cleric, etc...but perhaps regret it at times whenever I see rather poor attempts at diplomacy. That said, having played about a goodly portion of campaigns in my own time (two of which are still ongoing, but with another group.), I've noticed that I have yet to actually play the party's primary melee combatant, which I hope to fix at one point (bonus if acting as the party diplomat/face also works).

Campaign Formats: As long as there's a "long" overreaching plot of sorts, I'm generally fine with most formats. Consistency is nice to have really, and it's always fun to see your earlier actions have an actual impact on the world the campaign is set in.

Pet Peeves: While humor in a campaign is nice (joking around is part of what makes D&D fun after all), I do prefer humor to be existent only when appropriate, and consistent with the setting. Namely...if the party is about to fight for their lives against an enraged dragon, I would prefer if "Astral Tomatoes" were not summoned to combat it. *cough* Generally detracts from the mood of the situation, and makes it harder to take it seriously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Campaign Voting: Personally, the first option is more appealing to me, as it's more interesting being "chosen heroes" than what seems to be a ragtag band of mercenaries. However, given that our group currently only consists of ah...three of us (although as seen earlier in the thread, we may be able to procure a fourth with some recruiting) the second may be better. Depends on what we can do about the player count I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mmm...would you be opposed to having the rest of this conversation on another medium, say IRC, an Openrpg server, etc actually? Might make it easier to plan the rest of this out.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Sure, I can open up a discussion room for this, if that is what you all would like. Good for quick questions, etc. I am available most today, as I have done my 'chores'. Or at least, the wife thinks so, ;)

If you want to swing by, I will open an OpenRPG Room today, leave it open, and see if anyone is going to come by for a chat. Or, if it's best for a different day, let me know. I will be on the following location/server:

Room: Hands of Fate 3.5
Server: Blackstar Games Server

Later!

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next