View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

D&D Next Anyone? 

Post D&D Next Anyone?
Hey, I've been taking a look at the D&D Next product and it sounds like something that'd be good to playtest. If you're not familiar with it, you need a Wizards of the Coast account (free) to receive the materials. It seems like 3.5 but with some nice modern updates and tweaks. I'd suggest anyone interested to take a look here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dndnext.aspx The email really does take 30-60 minutes to come, unfortunately.

I would like to play a Wizard, but if people are interested and there's no DM then I can do that (perhaps both? who knows!). Let me know what you think!

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:11 am

Post Re: D&D Next Anyone?
AQX, the reason Wizards is coming out with this is due to Pathfinder stealing many fans, the release of 4th ED Scared away many fans, and the familiarity and over all ease of learning Pathfinder made Pathfinder a choice for these refugees. In fact, I find that Pathfinder is now better than DnD. Wizards ruined DnD when they created 4th ED, it ruins the realism of the game (as real as one can get with monsters and magic) and made it seem more like WoW. I would LOVE to DM if you would like me too, but, I would suggest you take a look at Pathfinder if you haven't I'm awaiting my e-mail now for this. ^__^ I was hoping to find a campaign were I could play my Assassins Creed build (It's far more lethal than I realized) Please, let me know if you've heard of/played Pathfinder. Yours

Monkey D Luffy

"I will be Pirate King!"

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:25 am

Hey man, I do know of Pathfinder. In fact, I've played several games in Pathfinder and I do like how it progressed from 3.5. However, the fact remains that it's closer to a "3.75" in that the magic items, spells, skills (for the most part), etc. were taken directly from D&D and modified slightly (or not at all). Pathfinder, at its core, made the base classes more powerful so that they're in line with later 3.5 material and beefed up the creatures just a bit to compensate. Don't get me wrong, it's probably the best D&D-esque system to use right now and I agree that 4E is D&D the MMO, but I think they're getting back on track with 5th Ed. We're back to ability scores, spells-per-level, no healing surges or other MMO-filler. I like things like implements, Advantages and Disadvantages (which are unique as far as my experience goes), and At-Will Magic Missiles (I play casters, so I know the most about Wizards/Sorcerers). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get a chance to look through the material. And of course, there are house rule possibilities, as well as feedback since the system is still in development.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 pm

I see that it is rather good, but, what I like is the possibilities with each class. Pathfinder will always hold a place in my heart because it is a very well thought out game, in fact, I find I like Magus, I've always ALWAYS Loved Fighters and Sorcerers, but, now, I rather enjoy Magus because of the combination, not to mention it's a very rich class.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 am