View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

Recruiting for game, what should I run? 

Post Recruiting for game, what should I run?
Looking for a 3-6 players for a regular weekly game, though I'm giving a limited choice what to play. I want to set up a regular day and at least one session before we start for setting development and discussion. Running a recruitment session Wednesday May 30th on Unshaped at 12 pm EST. Feel free to come by.

So, I decided to do something different with this campaign. Each session will be made up of a rotation of scenes. At the start of each session, each player and myself will make a roll and make an order of highest to lowest. First person sets up a scene, and after that, we go down to the next name on the list. Players will be encouraged to discuss and suggest to other players and myself what scene they should start next. As the gm, I will be referee, working with npcs, general storyteller, and mischievous plotter. This means that while I might not be in complete control of how the story moves, I still have enough control to keep you on your toes even in your own scenes.

The setting will be produced by starting with a framework(See below) and gathering the group together for questions and discussions. We'll then produce a setting from the questions and discussions so that we all have our hand in it. That being said, this is only a basic framework and we won't be using the settings provided along with any systems. Hell, we don't even need to play the provided systems, so feel free to consider all of the below even if you don't currently have a copy of a game for it. The majority of the games below can pretty much be played without much or any advanced knowledge of the systems and some can use one of any number of available systems.

Frameworks
1)Post-apocalypse

This framework is probably the most malleable out of all of the list. As I write this, I can't even comprehend what kind of setting this will produce because there are so many factors that need to be discussed. How was the world destroyed? What is going on now? What kind of people make up this world? The list of questions I will ask when we're figuring this one out is very long, but honestly this might end up being one of the more entertaining ones on the list. I suggest we figure out the setting before we decide on the system.

2)Monsters and Other Childish Things

This will easily be the most structured framework on this list. Why? Well, you're playing kids, so you don't really get a whole lot of say in what happens around you. Basically, you'll have a few questions to establish the setting and we'll be off. The fun part about MaOCT is that you get to goof off and be childish, but also very creepy. I only have one requirement: All monsters must be horrible and will be played by another player or myself. The fact that you have no control over your monster and another player gets to mess with you in horrible ways makes the game so much more entertaining.

3)Mage: The Ascension/Awakening

I used to play a lot of Ascension when I was younger, so this would be very nostalgic for me. I really like the idea of giving characters unlimited potential and saying "Okay, tell me how you'll do it". This game will be very dependent on the motivations of the characters, so I think it'll be very rewarding to see how things turn out. I do prefer the framework of Ascension, but with Awakening...I mean I have the book and never actually used it, so I guess now might be as good a time as any. I do require an overall theme with characters though, but it needn't be anything overly complicated.

4)Complete Madness

The above games have a framework for how things will be created so as to give you guys a basis to start. This game, however, is designed without limits. I can't give you a single clue as to how this one will turn out because it's all about your prompts. Each individual player will be allowed to produce characters and scenes with no restrictions whatsoever. What we end up with may very well be completely incomprehensible. This is exactly why I gave you the above options and didn't say "screw it, let's play this way" because some people like actual structured storytelling. Hell, some people like to look at a situation and say "yeah, that would totally happen", but I guarantee that is not happening in this game.

5)Other
If you have an idea for a framework or system you want to try out, feel free to run it by me as I only have a few requirements. I am not running anything in any kind of existing setting besides Earth. I feel too restricted and I don't want players to call me out on messed up details because I don't have all of the material memorized. Also, even if everyone else agrees I require the right to veto something on grounds that I'm not comfortable running it or I simply don't understand the subject matter enough to run it. If it only requires a some reading to understand it, I should be fine with it, but if it takes me more than a week or two to understand the premise you're suggesting it's probably too complicated or too much effort for me to run.

Days and time

As of now, Monday and Wednesday are my two best days since those are the days I "usually" have off work. Otherwise, my work schedule is pretty varied so I might not be able to make the same time every day. That being said, while I want a regular day and time each week, we don't have to hold ourselves to that same day and time. If our regular day doesn't work for me(or possibly you), I can usually post my schedule each week by Friday to rework the day for the week. Then, unless unforeseen circumstances occur, we should be able to return to normal time the next week. I am in the Eastern US timezone(-5 GMT) and if it isn't Monday or Wednesday early works better than later. However, late night and early mornings(10 PM - 6 AM) are almost always good for me. Let me know what you can do and we can work something out.

Last edited by SAFF on Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 am

Post Re: Recruiting for game, what should I run?
I just lost my Wednesday campaign, so a day of the week is available to me (doesn't have to be Wednesday.)

I'd be most interested in something post-apocalyptic, and in that vein, my vote would /probably/ go for Mekton Zeta...though you may remember I'd still love to get something with Wild Talents.

Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 am

Hmm...I might be up for Wild talents depending on how the setting turns out. I'll probably end up house ruling the crap out of it, though. I think I might reread through that one, it might add to my questions come time.

Thu May 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Running a recruitment session Wednesday May 30th. Should be on Unshaped by 12 pm EST, and should be around all day.

Last edited by SAFF on Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 27, 2012 1:16 pm

I shall strive to be there, what Server?

Sun May 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm going to say Unshaped, because of how open reacts to mayhem and the fact that some people haven't gone to traipse yet...for some reason. I really don't see the difference.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Made the sudden realization that I put 12 am instead of pm when saying when the recruitment session would start. That would have put it at midnight which I both would not have made it and would not have actually been able to remain awake for the remainder. I apologize for my bizarre inability to tell time apparently.

Wed May 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Just a reminder, I get off work at 8 est so can't be around til after then.

Wed May 30, 2012 7:05 pm

I ended up ending pretty early since I didn't feel like sitting around an empty room. It started out pretty well, though I don't know if I had any actual bites, but nothing ended well at all due to problems and the like. If you or anyone wants to start some sort of discussion up again, let me know. Right now not up for recruiting, though. Today was just a bad day for me. At least got to make good on my promises, I suppose.

Wed May 30, 2012 7:48 pm

So yeah, setting up for a setting building/question/discussion session to determine what we'll be doing. I can do this at some point on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Depending on the time, I may be able to do it on another day, but not likely. As long as one person shows up, I'm happy. However, anyone who doesn't come is out of luck on decisions. If we need more players we can set up an actual recruitment later once we have a game actually figured out.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:03 am