View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Is OpenRPG dead? 

Post Re: Is OpenRPG dead?
People should really use Mayhem, unless they don't have Traipse. DevII does not allow passwords, and for some reason a lot of idiots use it anyway and boot anyone who joins their room. I can't really fathom how someone could get embarrassed by internet strangers watching them role play. Arc doesn't have a working map. I don't know why people use these servers, except that DevII is on the top of the list, and Arc had the highest population after Blackstar went down, so people went there. I'm not sure how to get more people on these forums, but I think this and the Mayhem forum should link to each other.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:32 am

Is traipse really that tricky to install?

I pretty much just uzipped it, ran the setup with my existing python and old openrpg installs and it seems to be working normally.

Then again, I'm running windows XP...

Sun May 06, 2012 10:05 pm

JadeCriminal wrote:

I pretty much just uzipped it, ran the setup with my existing python and old openrpg installs and it seems to be working normally.

Then again, I'm running windows XP...

I want to answer this because most people don't know what is happening in the background. The devil is in the details.

Traipse is NOT that tricky to install. The real problem is the way OpenRPG has been setup to handle files. Because Traipse uses a more recent version of Python and wxPython than OpenRPG 1.8.0, users usually need to uninstall that first. Some people don't know that you need to uninstall Python and wxPython, then install a newer version, and that is why install failures occur.

But the biggest problem is the loss of data. OpenRPG causes two problems in the background that most people are unaware of. Firstly (as of last time I checked) the software writes to the Windows system configuration file the location of OpenRPG. This causes problems later down the road when you want to move folders around. It is also a problem when it comes to updating and this is why CCleaner is required in some cases. Because the software has written to your system configuration.

Another problem that causes the loss of data is how your data is stored in OpenRPG. A lot of people don't know your data is stored in a quasi hidden folder call %APPDATA%/Roaming. Unless you go looking it, you are not going to find it. And sometimes I have been unable to find it because I think Windows removes it when uninstall OpenRPG.

I think the worst fact of all, these problems are create when a users chooses to use the auto installer. It was designed for people to have a quick and easy way to install the software, unfortunately it locks their software ... a highly unwanted feature when the desire of the software is to be 'open'.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 am
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Is traipse really that tricky to install?
prof.ebral wrote:
JadeCriminal wrote:

I want to answer this because most people don't know what is happening in the background. The devil is in the details.

...Traipse uses a more recent version of Python and wxPython than OpenRPG 1.8.0, users usually need to uninstall that first...

... CCleaner is required in some cases. Because the software has written to your system configuration...

...your data is stored in a quasi hidden folder call %APPDATA%/Roaming. Unless you go looking it, you are not going to find it. And sometimes I have been unable to find it because I think Windows removes it when uninstall OpenRPG...

I think the worst fact of all, these problems are create when a users chooses to use the auto installer. It was designed for people to have a quick and easy way to install the software, unfortunately it locks their software ... a highly unwanted feature when the desire of the software is to be 'open'.

Yep! That fits my definition of "really tricky".

PLUS! I have yet to get a satisfactory install on Snow Leopard. Why? Same as reason #1: Traipse is not compatible with the "standard" (read stable) versions of Python, etc. on the Mac.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:20 am

But it's not Traipse to blame. The lock-in is caused by OpenRPG. If the user downloads and installs the Python files, then downloads and unzips Traipse .. setup runs without a problem. Traipse basically uses the older method of installing OpenRPG. And I've removed the portion of code that writes to the system registry.

As for the Python versions, I'm sorry I cannot help you with that. Apple is pretty slow in updating their Python versions.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am
Profile YIM WWW