View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

Need help. (Not spam btw, need help with a gaming problem) 

Post Need help. (Not spam btw, need help with a gaming problem)
If you are a mutant you can elect to give up all racial abilities, none are retained, in exchange for the ability to gain 1d6+3 spell like abilities with the following restrictions.

1. You may only choose spell like abilities from the spell levels you would have access to if you were a magic user (So if you're level 1, 0 level spells and 1st level spells)

2. When you level you may give up 1 spell like ability in exchange for a new spell like ability that would coencide with the ability you had last. (May be done with al abilities, but only at the level up proccess, not at any other time, so, if you had mage armor, you may only choose an ability that would be similar to mage armor)

3. Each spell like ability can be used only once per round, as a full round action.

I am thinking of running a Mutant game in PF, but am not sure if these rules are clear enough and or are not too powerful. It should allow freedom when creating a mutant, I am referring to X-Men type mutants. Please, comment and assist me! >,..,<

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:31 am
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Need help. (Not spam btw, need help with a gaming proble
By mutant you mean X-men style mutant? I could also see expanding powers to include weapon or armor enchantments at higher levels, but you might also want to mimic other powers by giving options to choose from as well. X-men style that is, if you like I could offer you ideas and help ya out.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:10 am

That would be awesome! :) I would appreciate all help, and I may do that, create options to choose from, and then, if they do not like it, create a new one with them.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:55 am
Profile YIM WWW

May I post some ideas, Rone? The idea you have is pretty cool ... though a bit rough around the edges.

Rone wrote:
1. You may only choose spell like abilities from the spell levels you would have access to if you were a magic user (So if you're level 1, 0 level spells and 1st level spells)
I think maybe you should make them choose a class progression to start with. Sorcerer kinda fits the bill. That lets them see what spell levels are "available" .. but it doesn't need to adhere to the class progression rules any other way.
Quote:
2. When you level you may give up 1 spell like ability in exchange for a new spell like ability that would coencide with the ability you had last. (May be done with al abilities, but only at the level up proccess, not at any other time, so, if you had mage armor, you may only choose an ability that would be similar to mage armor)
This would probably be easier to understand if you made them choose from one of the schools of magic. Say the ability was an evocation ability ... make them keep that school
Quote:
3. Each spell like ability can be used only once per round, as a full round action.
Obviously intended to balance the change in powers, and definitely a streamlined way to do it ... but I think after some level progression they might overpower the regular spell casters who would need to rest to recover spells. They have so many powers to start with, and they get to recycle their slots for greater powers ... you might consider a 1/per day for lower levels, and a 2/per day for higher levels.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:16 am
Profile YIM WWW

I like your ideas, and will add the one about the schools. But in my opinion, they wouldn't overpower the spell casters at a higher level. Because, spell casters will have tons more spells to choose from. Mutants will only have the same number they start with, so if you had seven powers, you'd only ever have seven no matter what level. And sorcerers will end up with hundreds.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Any more ideas?

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:16 am
Profile YIM WWW