View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 (Full) Pathfinder Monday Nights 7:30pm EST 

Post Re: (Full) Pathfinder Monday Nights 7:30pm EST
Kodi wrote:
Well happy birthday! Enjoy your night out!

What Kodi said! (again)

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Do we retain the abilities we gained on Hadragan from the Lens, or did those vanish when we exited that plane?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Kodi wrote:
Do we retain the abilities we gained on Hadragan from the Lens, or did those vanish when we exited that plane?

Nope, you lost them when Hadragan collapsed.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Okay. But now we're mythic, which has to be cooler!

I do hope our favorite dragon will continue to make appearances from time to time.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Post Mythic Alithsar
Below is what I have decided so far.

I thought of taking Mythic Spells as my 3rd tier feat; I could not come up with 4 spells. A better selection of spells is needed. Mythic Paragon is another choice I considered. In Alithsar's case, it does not apply to very much. It would be much more useful if it applied to regular feats and regular spells.

I have tentatively selected the path abilities: Itemcraft and Metamastery. The problem is Alithsar doesn't have the types of items that might benefit from Itemcraft; also, he only knows one metamagic. Alternative path abilities include Feat of Dexterity and Feat of Intelligence. Too bad Path Dabbling is not universal - I can understand why; still.... {sigh} Also nice would be an
Additional Arcana path ability, corresponding to the Additional Trick ability.

UPDATE 3: I don't like circular reasoning, it can cause me headaches. Itemcraft offers a +2 to caster level on potions, scrolls, staves, and wands. Question: having taken wild arcana, why would I even want a scroll, staff, or wand. Answer: to get the +2 caster level bonus from Itemcraft!

I don't think so!!! I have decided to pass on itemcraft.

ALSO: Whereas Feat of Wisdom can be used for Perception and Sense Motive (and Survival); Feat of Charisma could be used for Bluff, Diplomacy, and Use Magic Device (and Disguise, Handle Animal, and Intimidate). Feat of Charisma is tempting, but I rather let other team members do that stuff. Use Magic Device though..... {sigh}

UPDATE 2: Nevermind Update 1 !!! I have to agree with everyone else that Absorb Blow is too sweet to pass up. So, Alithsar will take Dual Path (Guardian) as his feat, and Absorb Blow as his Guardian's Call. Actually, this choice excludes neither the option to take the component power path ability, nor the mythic mage armor spell. Update1 is still in play; it's just that raising Alithsar's AC from 21 to 23 seems less urgent now.

Hmmm... The guardian path offers Alithsar the option to choose Mythic Companion as a path ability. While this seems like something Alithsar would do, it does not actually improve Vorel very much. IF Vorel could gain the mythic subtype or the mythic arcane template....{sigh}

UPDATE: I just realized that the component power path ability would let Alithsar wear armor, because he could then ignore the somatic component of spells he casts. The trick is to balance that against mage armor.
  • Mage Armor grants a +4 armor bonus to AC. Mythic Mage Armor grants a +6 armor bonus to AC, and a 50% chance to negate crits or sneak attacks. In addition, mage armor is made of force. One extended spell last 16 hours, and a regular spell lasts 8 hours. For 24 hour protection, Alithsar uses 2 first level slots (actually, one first level slot and one 1st level pearl of power) + 1 charge from his metamagic wand every day. Making it mythic would also use require 2 uses of mythic power.
  • Alternatively, Component Power (Ex) would let me get +4 AC from studded leather plus a buckler, or +6 AC from a Breastplate. The maximum dex bonus from a breastplate is +3, which is below my dex bonus (+5). I would need to get a mithral breastplate to increase the max dex to +5.
  • The trade off is a daily use of 2 1st levels, 1 charge from a metamagic rod, one mythic spell, and 2 uses of mythic power; versus one mythic path ability and 4,200 gp for a masterwork mithral breastplate. The Extra Mythic Power path ability grants two daily uses of mythic power, so the real trade off is 4,200 gp vs one mythic spell and 2 1st level spell slots, and 1 daily charge from the rod. In theory, on daily charge is worth 1,000 gp; however, that is a sunk cost as Alithsar already has the rod. Of course, a first level slot equals one use of wild arcana, i.e. one use of mythic power, or one1st level pearl of power (1k gp). In this instance, use of mythic power is sub-optimal compared to a 1st level pearl, as that use could be used to cast a 4th level spell instead and is thus worth a 4th level pearl (16k gp). Plus, Alithsar already has a 1st level pearl.
  • The breastplate is not magic, and can be enchanted for additional benefits, while the mage armor spell does not stack with other armor bonuses.
  • This is all about raising Alithsar's AC from 21 to 23. Is that the best way to use Alithsar's Mythic Power?

I will update this post when I make my final selections.

Mythic - Alithsar

4th Tier
Mythic Power (Su) Based off INT
Ability Score: Increase INT twice for +4
Bonus Mythic Feats
1st tier: Dual Focus (DEX)
3rd tier: Dual Path (Guardian)-> Guardian's Call: Absorb Blow
Hard to Kill (Ex)
Mythic Flaw (Ex): fey like material vulnerability - cold iron
Amazing Initiative (Ex)
Recuperation (Ex)

Mythic Path - Archmage
Mythic Spells (2 spells):
1) Magic Missile
2) Suggestion
Archmage Arcana: Wild Arcana (Su)
Bonus Hit Points (Vigor Points?): 3*4 = 12
Path Abilities:
1) {Universal} Feat of Wisdom (Su)
2) Extra Mythic Power (Su)
3) Extra Mythic Power (Su)
4) Extra Mythic Power (Su)

Last edited by PhillyG on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:26 am

Nice choices so far, Alithsar! Here are my choices:

Mythic Path: Hierophant

Mythic Flaw (Ex): Silver weapons automatically confirm critical hits and the critical multiplier is increased by 1. They also bypass any DR.

My choice among the list of first-tier abilities: Inspired Spell (Su): Expend 1 MP to spontaneously cast any spell on the divine spell list without using a spell slot. The caster level of such spells is increased by 2..

2 mythic spells: Bless and Cure Serious Wounds

2 mythic feats: Dual Path (Guardian) and Dual Focus (Charisma)

4 path abilities:
(1) Faith’s Reach (Su): Touch-range divine spells increase to 30-foot range.
(2) Extra Mythic Power (Su): Two addition uses of MP.
(3) Extra Mythic Power (Su): Two addition uses of MP.
(4) Extra Mythic Power (Su): Two addition uses of MP.

Gained via the Dual Path feat: Guardian->Absorb Blow: Spend one MP as an immediate action whenever you take damage from a single source. You take "10 times Tier" fewer points of damage. Also, for every 10 points of damage prevented, you gain DR 1/epic and 5 points of energy resistance against all energy types for 1 minute (these stack with other sources).

NOTES:
  • It seems likely that the Dual Path feat gives you a tier in your second path equal to that of your first path. Otherwise, abilities like the guardian's Absorb Blow would be useless because your tier would be zero. If this interpretation of Dual Path is incorrect, please let me know so that I can select something else.
  • I selected Extra Mythic Power so many times because the best path abilities don't become available until higher tiers.
  • Many of the path abilities seem rather lackluster, especially ones that cost a use of mythic power each time. In most cases, it seems better to conserve mythic power so that it can be used to get a second turn each round. For hierophants and archmages, mythic power can also be used to spontaneously cast any spell on their list without using a spell slot, which is hard to beat.
  • The guardian's Epic/DR path ability is tempting. But it's limited to DR 5 until higher tiers. And in the few cases I'm hit, it's likely to be for massive damage, against which DR 5/epic wouldn't do much (plus I'd already have Absorb Blow for such cases). Furthermore, epic damage bypasses this DR, which might be somewhat common if the toughest foes we face deliver epic damage.
  • It was also tempting to select Marshal as a second path, especially the following path ability: Focus (Su): After you or a mythic ally within 30 feet uses mythic power to add to a d20 roll, you may reroll the extra die granted by mythic power. You must take the result of the reroll even if it is worse. This can’t be used to reroll the die added to a d20 roll from the confidence ability.
  • Maybe Seldrim will wind up selecting the above ability.

Character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=393527

This has been a fun introduction to Mythic Adventures. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. :)

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:17 am

For anyone using HeroLab, there is a community sponsored pack for Mythic Adventures Playtest for HL here.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Mythic - Sodel

4th Tier
Mythic Power (Su) Based off CON
Ability Score: Increase STR for +2, Increase CON for +2
Bonus Mythic Feats
1st tier: Mythic Crafter
3rd tier: Dual Path (Champion)
Hard to Kill (Ex)
Mythic Flaw (Ex): Weapon Weakness- Seige Weapons (+4 bonus on attack and damage rolls, Crit multiplier +1, Bypass all DR)
Amazing Initiative (Ex)
Recuperation (Ex)

Mythic Path - Guardian/Champion
Guardian's Call: Absorb Blow (Su)
Bonus Hit Points (Vigor Points?): 5*4 = 20
Path Abilities:
1) {G}Catch Hazard (SU)
2) {C}To The Death (Su)
3) {G}Epic DR /5 (Su)
4) {U} Mythic Craft (Su)
Soldel Character Sheet

Hope you don't mind if I copied your layout.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Yes, the Bonus points will add to Vigor points.

Hard to Kill will have the following effect: Add your Constitution score to your Wound Points and Wound Threshold. When you are below your Wound Threshold, you become wounded and gain the staggered condition. You must still make the DC 10 Constitution check to remain conscious, however, your remaining wound points are not reduced by 1 on a failed save.

Example: Mythic George has a Con of 18. Mythic George's WP are 54 and his Wound Threshold is 36.

Normal:
Wound Points

Typically a creature has a number of wound points equal to twice its Constitution score. It also has a wound threshold equal to its Constitution score. Wound points represent the amount of physical punishment a creature can take before it dies. When a creature's wound points drop to or below its wound threshold, that creature becomes wounded. When a creature is wounded, it gains the staggered condition until it is no longer wounded. Furthermore, when a creature is wounded, if that creature takes any standard or move action on its turn, its remaining wound points are reduced by 1 and it must make a DC 10 Constitution check. If the creature fails that check, it falls unconscious.

When a creature reaches 0 or fewer wound points, it is dead.

-------
Recuperation re-write:
Recuperation (Ex): At 3rd tier, you are restored to full wound points (as well as vigor points) after 8 hours of rest as long as you’re not dead. This ability does not restore wound points lost to mythic damage (see page 35), but it does restore Vigor Points lost to mythic damage. In addition, expending one use of mythic power and resting for 1 hour allows you to regain a number of wound points equal to half your full normal wound points (up to a maximum of your full normal wound points), regain all of your vigor points, and regain the use of any class features that are limited to a number of uses per day (such as barbarian rage, bardic performance, spells per day, and so on). This rest is treated as if you had gained 8 hours of sleep for such abilities. This rest does not refresh the use of mythic abilities such as mythic power or other mythic abilities that are limited to a number of times per day.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 pm

I think that giant actually damaged me more than I accounted for because his critical was probably confirmed:

Reckless: Power Attack vs. Dwarf [1d20+22-3+2] => [19,22,-3,2] = (40) for [3d6+26+2] => [3,5,5,26,2] = (41)

Reckless: Possible crit!

Reckless: Power Attack vs. Dwarf [1d20+22-3+2] => [15,22,-3,2] = (36) for [3d6+26+2] => [6,1,3,26,2] = (38)

Even with my dwarven dodge bonus vs. giants, my AC was only 34; so that crit was confirmed. Absorb Blow would have absorbed only the first 40 points, leaving me with 1+38 additional damage from the crit.

On top of that I would take the 2 WP of damage due to the 2x critical multiplier.

The damage was so huge that at first I was in denial, thinking your first roll included the critical hit damage. But no!

But at least I'm still conscious for the time being, with 21 of 60 VP remaining.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next