View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

New player looking for some help. 

Post New player looking for some help.
Alright, I guess I'll just go ahead and jump right in.
I'm a new player to D&D, though I have played 1 or 2 games of tabletop RP before. I've Roleplayed in text base(no stats, just posts) and I really want to get into D&D. The problem is that I haven't the slightest clue where to start. If there is anyone out there that is up for helping me learn the game, please let me know. I have skype, teamspeak, and ventrillo. Whatever your fancy in terms of communication, please let me know if you're willing to help. Thanks.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:42 am

Post Re: New player looking for some help.
still looking for a game? me and few other are still looking for some other players. whats you skype?

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:27 am

Ryanbleach is my skype. Any time I'm on, feel free to send me a message. If I'm AFK I'll get back to you asap.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Hey vicegt, I am looking for a game so are you still looking for people to play?

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Welcome! And I dunno what version of D&D you're looking to get into, or what rulebooks you may or may not have, so I'll just mention the Hypertext d20 SRD website, which has more or less all of the open-game-content from 3.5 Revised Dungeons & Dragons.

It excludes a handful of iconic monsters and a few basic rules and tables from the PHB and DMG (and excludes most non-rules material), due to those few bits being held by Wizards of the Coast as part of D&D's Product Identity or whatever instead of open content (and thus not legally reprintable by others). The SRD includes most rules material from the 3.5 Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, Unearthed Arcana, Deities & Demigods, and the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and I think a little bit from the Manual of the Planes but not much.

Most core-rules material for 3rd Edition D&D (aka 3.0) is available at the http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ website.

4th Edition D&D has more-restricted rules access, AFAIK, requiring that you buy the books or pay for a DDI online-library subscription at the Wizards of the Coast website.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:48 am

Thanks, Ark, but I still need someone to play with and to talk me through the basics. Much better than reading novels upon novels of text explaining when I don't even have proof that I'll have anyone to play with.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:50 am

Hmmm..........well, there may be an opening in my early Sunday 3.5 D&D campaign. It runs from 6 or 7 pm GMT (noon or 1pm Eastern) for about 4 or 5 hours each week (typically running from 7-12 GMT). However, we don't use voice-chat software, just OpenRPG.

If you're interested I can answer some questions and explain the basics sometime on the OpenRPG Dev II server, if there's a day and time that works for both of us. I don't have any free time on Sundays or Wednesdays though.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:10 am