View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

Wild West Cinema 

Post Wild West Cinema
This is a rules-lite game that plays very fast and mimics the classic spaghetti westerns such as the legendary man with no name series that includes The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The game is very simple and quick to learn and I can provide materials to the players to aid them in learning the game ASAP. I also have cheat sheets to make things even easier I can give to everyone.

Are any people out there interested in playing a Wild West RPG?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Post Re: Wild West Cinema
daddystabz wrote:
This is a rules-lite game that plays very fast and mimics the classic spaghetti westerns such as the legendary man with no name series that includes The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The game is very simple and quick to learn and I can provide materials to the players to aid them in learning the game ASAP. I also have cheat sheets to make things even easier I can give to everyone.

Are any people out there interested in playing a Wild West RPG?

Yep. As we talked about last night and I have been reading the book and I would be able to run the game, assuming we get enough people

Openrpg.com Moderator

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:27 am

I'm a huge fan of westerns in particular those by John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. I actually have a Wild West RPG campaign I ran as a pbp that I could run too. I own two d20 Western RPGs (Sidewinder: Recoiled (which is pretty awesome) and the OLG Wild West by Mongoose Publishing (which is alright). I actually mixed material from both of them for my Fort Griffin 1870s game.

I'd be open to checking out this rules lite game.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 am
Profile YIM

Well thats 3 people, 2 players and a GM. there has to be other people interested out there

Openrpg.com Moderator

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:18 pm

I might be interested (though the only Western game system I know is Deadlands) but I'd need some help with the game system. What time/day were you thinking?

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Not sure. We are trying to work that out.

Also we have two people who wants to run the game. I think Daddystabz, however would rather play so I am more then happy then throwing my hat in the ring for that.

Openrpg.com Moderator

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 pm

I would indeed prefer to play it rather than run it.

Wild West Cinema is a very rules lite system that is tailor made to do spaghetti westerns like the Eastwood movies by Sergio leone that I love so dearly. If we wanted a grittier more realistic game that is deadly to emulate a style more like the movie Tombstone I'd suggest Aces & Eights. The basic rules are only 8 pages of the book and anything else in the game you add is optional to make whatever game you want out of it. It is modular.

I am fine with either, as I love both. Dave from my BoL game I think is interested as well and I might be able to grab another besides him too.

No matter what game we choose I can provide everyone with materials to help them learn the system VERY fast and I can help you with anything like making characters, answering questions, etc. as well.

Cyroa and Lando, please e-mail me at jonathan.baldridge@gmail.com for game materials to aid in learning whatever game we choose.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:06 am

I might be willing to try and run a Deadlands if you want another GM as well. *shrug* No idea how the dice rolls would support that but *shrug* I always liked the game.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Cyroa wrote:
I might be willing to try and run a Deadlands if you want another GM as well. *shrug* No idea how the dice rolls would support that but *shrug* I always liked the game.

It looks more like we are leaning towards Wild West Cinema as the game we are going to play.

Openrpg.com Moderator

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:20 pm

I have put up ads for this game at several sites so we will see if we can snag 1-2 more players. We really only need around 3-5 max.

In addition, I'd like to suggest a couple house rules. These were discussed by myself and others at RPG.net with the author of the game, Dave Bezio (Grubman), and he agreed these are good ideas.

1) Instead of people only having the choice of special abilities listed with his/her chosen archetype instead make it so any player can choose any special ability from any archetype to have the kind of character he/she wants to play. It basically makes it one big pool of special abilities you have to choose from.

2) The Kid's special ability called "Little Rascal" is problematic, potentially allowing The Kid to always go first in combat. Instead make it only work occasionally. This was intended to be thematically the Kid sneaking a gun in and getting the drop on someone unexpectedly.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:22 am