View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

[Vampire: the Requiem] Grim Californication 

Post [Vampire: the Requiem] Grim Californication
Anyone interested in a game of Vampire? First time storyteller, but willing to run it if you give me a chance to get settled.

I was thinking of running it on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

Anyone interested, either post here, or e-mail me at thaumologist@hotmail.com

Neonate characters only (unless you've got a concept I really like, run it by me and I'll let you know).

Say... 30 bonus xp to spend how you like.

If you plan on adopting a bloodline, check with me first, I'll allow most but may restrict some.

Setting: The City of Santa Itana, 1994

Santa Itana on the shores of Monterey Bay, between San Francisco and Los Angeles, is a place of oppourtunity. Surrounded by the Pacific ocean on one side and the Diablo mountain range on the other it is a place of unsurpassed beauty and one of the largest cities in California; capturing the zeitgeist of the state and presenting it in miniature.

It is a city of drama and music; industry and technology; and of the living and the undead.

In the 70s and 80s the city was in a bad shape, it suffered from a surge in unemployment, corruption and crime. Entire neighbourhoods turned into abandoned warzones; bars and clubs shut down; construction projects were left unfinished throughout the city; office buildings emptied as companies went under or relocated to larger cities. It seemed the city was on the path to self-destruction.
But in recent years many lower-budget Hollywood and televison studios began to move their production companies there, availing of the cheaper workforce, resources and space. They were soon followed by a number of mid-level music production companies, taking advantage of numerous unemployed musicians, eager to make it big. Santa Itana has quickly garnered a reputation as a stepping stone to the larger entertainment world, drawing many hopefuls from across the states who see it as an easier alternative to Los Angeles. Corruption and crime remain high but that image is often successfully downplayed to the outside world, and it does little to deter star-struck hopefuls.

In the present day, Santa Itana is gaining a reputation as a burgeoning cultural city. With a long established history of traditional theatre and street musicians, the arts have alway been firmly entrenched in the city, but both industries have seen a surge in recent years.

The University of Santa Itana also does much for the reputation of the city, renowned for its School of Science and Technology; it has attracted promising students from throughout the world and drawn the attention of numerous multinationals (who have also managed to capitalize on the rampant corruption of the city), eager to capitalise on each new breakthrough.

But it also holds an unseen world of oppourtunity, hiding in the the shadows but influencing the entire city.

Demographic Notes:

The population of Santa Itana is estimated at about 4 million.
40% White
25% Hispanic
15% Black
15% Asian
5% Multiracial

There are roughly 150 Kindred in or around Santa Itana, with many created recently in the wake of a devestating hunter raid in an attempt to re-establish control of the city.

Plot Notes:

The Carthians have only recently seized power in the city, but they're quickly expanding their spheres of influence. The ancient elder Julian Peterson now tentatively rules as Prince of the city and is eager to establish order in this domain after the disruption of the hunter raid. He has established a Senate in an attempt to placate the the other covenants in this time of turmoil. The Carthians are determined to prove their philosophies are superior to those of their predecessors, the Invictus, and will go to any lengths to rebuild the Kindred society. The Carthians lost much in the recent hunter raid, but have come out better than they went in.

The Invictus lost much in the recent attack, both in Kindred society and in kine. Ex-Prince Otto Hung, ruler of the city and Invictus, was destroyed, the details of which are still murky. Because of their prominance in the city before the attack and their contacts in the local politics and entertainment industries, the Invictus Kindred were the first to be discovered and attacked. Most of the covenant's ancillae were wiped out, along with many of the neonates; and there is currently a power struggle within the covenant between two of the remaining elders, Baron Samuel Bartley of Chinatown and Countess Sophia Dupont of Sudden Valley. Until they've sorted out their own house, they've tentatively agreed to work with Carthians.

The Lancea Sanctum have been long established in Santa Itana, with a large following among the local Kindred, but have held little real power due to an ineffectual leadership who were unwilling to challenge Invictus dominance. The recent hunter attack wiped out all of the ordained ministers of the church, leaving the covenant leaderless. Hearing of their plight, the Sanctified of San Francisco sent one of their priests, Father Brendan McDonagh to take on the role of Bishop of Santa Itana. A charismatic and calculating man, Bishop McDonagh has quickly raised the status and influence of the Sanctified; igniting a fervor in his congregation, many of whom are turning to the church after the destruction of many of their contemporaries.

The Ordo Dracul has the fewest members out of any of the covenants of Santa Itana. They do not actively seek new members and are very secretive in their dealings. Although small they are comprised of mostly elders and ancillae, and have a vast amount of power and knowledge at their disposal. The Dragons' Academy is located somewhere on the University grounds and they guard their territory jealously, woe to any who hunt there without their permission. They have agreed to take part in the new senate set up by the Carthians but are mostly disinterested in the rest of the city. Their low profile, even among Kindred, left them untouched by the hunter raid.

The Circle of the Crone have welcomed the change in leadership, aligning themselves with the Carthians now that they have taken control of the city (tentative though it may be). Disapproved of by ex-Prince Otto Hung (a stanch believer in the Church of the Lancea Sanctum), the Circle stayed out of politics and the city, performing their rituals in the surrounding mountains. It is rumoured that they have dealings with mages and werewolves, but they refuse to talk about any such connections. As they have begun to move into the city, they have sparked some conflict with the local Sanctified, but any such incidents have been small and isolated as the Sanctified reorganizes. The Circle, like the Dragons, were uneffected by the hunter raid as they had little dealings with the city until after the attack.

The Kindred are in a precarious position, tensions remain uneasy between the covenants and kine contacts have been disrupted by the recent attack. Numerous new Kindred are being Embraced as each covenant seeks to regain control and expand. The Senate struggles to keep the peace between the covenants, with Peterson manipulating them as deftly as he can.

But new businesses arrive in the city each day, as of yet untainted by Kindred influence. Properties throughout the city are up for grabs from corrupt officials for 'favors'. And covenants and factions are courting the lowliest neonate for support in the new world order.

It's the perfect time for an ambitous Kindred.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 am

Post Re: [Vampire: the Requiem] Grim Californication
While not a huge fan of nWoD, I've played a bit, and might be interested in a Saturday night game (only night I'd be available).

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:02 pm

LillithDante wrote:
While not a huge fan of nWoD, I've played a bit, and might be interested in a Saturday night game (only night I'd be available).

Awesome, well, if you can e-mail me your preferred starting time (and time zone too) and I'll see what can be worked out.

I may run more than one campaign, got a pretty free schedule for the next while, so as long as I can find other players there should be no problem running it on that day

If you want to work up a character, feel free to e-mail me it or post it here.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Just a heads up, but from my experience, you can get more players to recruit on the official White Wolf forums then you could on these sites.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Ah, thanks for the advice. I've posted it around a few places, but I'll head there next.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I'd love to join in. Where ddo I sign up?

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:51 am