View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD (Recruiting) 

Post Re: Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD
Oh don't worry, I understand, you're not coming off as a jerk at all. Least not to me.

After going through the Iron Kingdoms books I have come up with a second character option that will follow the path of business while keeping diplomacy.

If I can write in that the characters are noble in their background story and it'll have basically the same effect as having a class say that I'm noble, I'm ok with that. That was the primary reason for taking the noble class. I've tried this in one other game and I listed it in backstory but the DM decided later on that it didn't count as the character sheet didn't prove it. >.< Forgive me for being worried as well lol.

This being the case I think I'll go with Bard as the first level. Which helps because then the crafting and profession skills are opened up.

So now I have another question. How much of the Iron Kingdoms stuff is implemented into this? Just the classes, equipment, technology? Do I need to care about any of their lore or governments?
From what you've given us now of the history, it sounds like it's just the tech that'll be used.
Could you help me with a few more detailed things that would aid in creating a 'noble' backstory? Here or PM is fine. But I'll need to know the name of a region that I would come from, having nobility, and access to learning things about clockworks and steam. I think you mentioned such things are fairly new, so I don't know if they're found everywhere yet or not. The type of government for that region would be helpful as well, to help determine if my family was a land owning type of noble, or if we had bought our way into the nobility. For that matter, would nobility exist? Or would the family be more along the lines of just being important and wealthy? For example, I think a Governor or Very Large corporation owner in the US would be the closest the US has to 'nobility', where Britain has nobles, but they hold no real power, just land.

Again, I'm sure none of this will be helpful at game start, we're only lvl 1 anyway lol. But when we hit 15 and suddenly find ourselves trying to stop a civil war, I'm sure it'll come in handy ;)
And again, I'm just very used to DMs caring only about what's on my character sheet, not what comes out of my mouth, or my character's mouth, or my character's diary (history).
Which brings up a gameplay question.
When bluffing/intimidating/diplomating/etc, Do you want us to role play what we want to say, then roll the die and give bonuses or penalties to the roll based on what we said? Or do you want us to roll the die, and then role play what the character says 'based' on the roll?

Last bit, I have a tendency to ask a lot of questions and try a lot of things, feel free to tell me to hush if I get in the way of things by doing that. I don't always catch myself.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:37 am

As far as the Iron Kingdoms supplement is concerned, we will only be using the classes, races, equipment, and technology. Don't worry about the Deities or governments.

In my opinion adventurers are not your average peasants. If they were the game would consist of you going about your daily life in a small village, and classes would be more along the lines of farmer, herdsman, tradesman, etc. Most of the classes in D&D require a fairly good bit of training, which costs money. So, I view the average adventurer as being from a middle to upper class family, unless otherwise noted through back story. Being a noble wouldn't be such a far fetched thing.

All the regions are a bit different, mostly climate, with a wide variety of governments. The governments range from Republics to Patriarchal to Nomadic Tribes. It all comes down to what you want. You could be a rulers' niece/nephew, a poor noble with nothing but title, the daughter/son of the Tribal Chief/Shaman, or be a relative or part owner of the largest manufacturing/trading/mining/lumber/etc company in the kingdom. You let me know what you want, and I'll fill you in on the kingdom and a bit of history to go with it.

For the social skills, I'd like you to role play what you would say before you roll. In the majority of cases what you say won't help or hurt the roll, unless you are extremely rude.

I like having players ask a lot of questions and try a lot of things. That's what makes it interesting for me. As far as getting in the way of things...until you start calling me on the phone mid session with crazy ideas, *cough*Xaoc*cough*, I don't think we'll have a problem. :D

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey! I think I only did that once! and it was to save the entire party. It's not MY fault they were going to unleash the plague on the entire world. It's not MY fault that the gate spell I cast opened a gate large enough for the entire ship to fall through (three cheers for 2nd ed wild mages with two weeks of preparation time)... Ok, maybe that last bit was my fault. But, the rest of the parties bodies grew back thanks to Sudhirs wish. So, no harm no foul. It is too bad that the ocean level had to drop... and I wonder how many creatures from the plane of fire were killed when that much water was suddenly materialized into the heart of the plane of fire... I'm just kind of sad that people were as upset with me as they were. It's not like I ACTUALLY killed them... LIke I said, their bodied grew back.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:54 pm

So. I've been asking a lot of questions about the other players characters with out really giving much detail about my character... Since most of his history is a secret to be divulged later, i'll just do it from a mechanics point of view.

Skills:
Appraise
Concentration
Craft:
....Alchemy
....Clockwork
....Mechanika
....Steam Engine
Knowledge: Mechanika
'Jack Handling
All at a skill modifier of 13

Knowledge: Arcana Skill modifier 15
Spellcraft Skill Modifier17

Speaks, Reads, and Writes 8 Languages

Feats:
Precocious Apprentice
Collegiate Wizard
Improved Initiative
(And one more that is a secret)

Edit: Rechecked my math for skill points... realized I'd left some stuff in the maths field from a previous character. Total skill ranks should be fixed. I guess that's what happens when you recycle a character sheet. Also edited terminology or correctness.

Last edited by Xaoc on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm

I'd like to a informal session this Wed, Aug 31, starting around 7pm CST. I will probably start it and be there for an hour or so and then have to leave and come back a few hours later. For those that aren't aware, I have a son in the NICU and am currently living at the hospital. With it being an informal session, the wife will decide I HAVE to go up with her when she decides it's time to go. Mostly it will be a meet and greet amongst the players, it will also let me know who is really going to play. During the time I'm there I would be more than willing to help with character creation question and the like, and while I'm not Xaoc could probably answer most questions.

If you are interested and can't make it Wed, just let me know and it's not a big deal. I hope to actually start the campaign within the next 2-3 weeks.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:57 am

I can't make it Wednesday, I'll be on my way to MEPS.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:03 am

Ok, MEPS as in Military Entrance Processing Station or Medical Expenditure Panel Survey? Just curious because those are the only two MEPS I know of. :)

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:59 am

I updated my Character bit.

If you're going to MEPS, does that mean you're going to be entering the service soon? If so, do you mind if I ask what branch, and if you know what MOS and what your ship date is going to be?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:00 am

Oh, also, Zalun, would you like me to set up a forum for the game? If so... give me a name for the campaign and I'll have it up within 24 hours or so.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:05 am

Lets say... Unfathomable Entropy, I like the way that sounds.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:04 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next