View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD (Recruiting) 

Post Re: Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD
I would totally be interested in this. I've been wishing for a DM open minded enough to allow the characters to flourish in an open world setting, things like making their own countries and such.
Plus I love steam punk.

The only thing is the low character level, I'm just not used to it. But it's a worthy price to pay for the other benefits I see in this game :D

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 pm

And, I promise, it probably won't stay at such a low power level very long... err...

Just word your first wish correctly.

Also... if you read the creation rules carefully you can find all sorts of goodies just laying in wait for you to be creative enough, bold enough, and (potentially) crazy enough to find and be willing to use them.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Well I'm currently working on a Diplomat
Since I can't prove it's not possible this is what I have so far for an idea.

Race: Half Elf
Template: Half Vampire (+2 LA)
Basically the Human parent was also had a vampire template.

But the class is being a problem because I want to be Lawful non Good.
That rules out anything that would normally be a Diplomat, except the Marshal, which I just don't like.

I was a little vague with that wish though wasn't I? Lol

Edit:
Huh... after looking at several possible classes in other books, looks like I'll end up using Rogue as Diplomat xD

Second Edit:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy ... hoice.html
Any chance that would be allowed? Any version of it on there you'd prefer is fine. I would guess the last one on page one though.
It's perfect for what I'm looking for.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Can you give me a bit of help with templates? I'm looking to be a wizard, and I want be a generalist, a "Yeah, I got a spell for that" guy. Do you know of any races/templates that will help a spellcaster out?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:20 am

First lets start with the Noble class. To be frank I don't like the feel of it. It doesn't have a cohesive feel to it, I think it needs a bit of play testing and tweaking. In my opinion it is still in the 'fan creation' stage. I also don't think that it would fit this setting very well.

Second the Half-Vampire template. I have nothing against the template in general. There are however a few things I'm wary of with it being used as a PC Template. First the Blood Drain ability is out of the question unless you want to be hunted constantly. The Children of the Night ability would be seen as a bit scary for most NPCs as well. Then the big one, Charm Gaze. Because you have never played in one of my games before I am a bit concerned with how this ability could be used. The problem I see with it is the fact that you have said that you are looking to play a NON-Good character. Chaos, Lawful, or Neutral there are a lot of ways for a character to rationalize using this ability on or to the detriment of the other party members. Now I hope no one would take a similar ability and turn it on a party member, it is not something I would stop, but I can guarantee you that it would mean a quick death from the unaffected party members if they found out. I won't disallow it, but I will caution you. If I see it used to the detriment of the party I will remove your character and/or you from the game. Now that is not to say that I will punish in-fighting amongst the PCs or even PC on PC violence as long as it does not detract from the game as a whole. Proceed at your own risk!

Third is a quick bit on Alignment in this setting that may give a bit more leeway on some classes. Basically when the PC turned Deity ascended he made a few changes to Alignment restrictions. Being the god of Dragons, and there being few dragons in the world at the time, he removed the mandatory Alignment restriction on Dragons, which eventually changed the restrictions on all races on the material plane in this world (This does not effect outsiders, demons, devils, celestials, etc). This is not to say that all Black Dragons are now good, it just means that it is possible that some are good. This also freed up a lot of the restriction on classes. For one Monks no longer have to be Lawful (similar to the Oathsworn Variant). Paladins are no longer restricted to Lawful Good, but they are restricted to with in one step of their Deity's Alignment. Some classes though, are inherently good or evil (I.E Blackguard or Unholy Paladin).

Another thing that needs to be done at creation, which I remembered I have to tell you about before you will do it.

Everyone needs to create a +10 Item up to 100,000gps. This item can be a fit any body slot or be a weapon or armor. If it is a weapon or armor it is restricted to +5 Bonus and +5 Enhancement, meaning not epic quality. If it fits into a body slot (i.e ring, gloves, boots, cloak, etc.) you can stack enhancements from different items into it. You can have a ring with sustenance, +5 Deflection bonus, +5 Natural Armor, +5 Armor Bonus, whatever the sneaky bonuses are, and so forth. The limit is net +10 on Weapons and Armor up to a value of 100,000gps, keep in mind there are enhancements that don't count towards the net +10, and up to 100,000gps worth of magical qualities on a single item.

This item will then be taken and the magical qualities reduced to your appropriate ECL. The item will then be given an XP Chart similar to that for PC leveling. You will then have to choose to spend your XP to enhance the item in stages. The purpose of this is so that you have one ideal piece of equipment that you can increase as you level. You can choose not to participate in this, but that does not mean that you get 100,000gps to play with.

And Finally, Pent I will have to go back through some of the books, but I'll see what I can find to suggest. I'm sure when Xaoc checks the thread next he'll start looking as well. He knows where some of those things are hidden better than I do.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:12 am

Still have further to consider, but looking at the options (including the 100kGP thing), it's most likely I'll go with the Rhinocerous in that case. (Though a growing tattoo for the cheetah could be...interesting...)

Still need to consider the merits of each, but on-board, and slowly working out the details.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:25 am

Hey, Pent. Zalun and I discussed what we thought might work well for a generalist wizard, did he PM you with what came of that?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:56 pm

He did, and thank you, that would work out very well. I fear I may be overshadowed, though, as Zalun said you were already playing a caster. However, I do feel that I can at least be of aid during non-combat and exploration, and I may specialize in killing other casters. Also, I read of a class variant or feature that allowed the wizard to give up his familiar to eschew his spell book, memorizing it instead. Not sure what book its from, I think its called Eidetic something. Can I do that?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:05 pm

My casters focus is not on spell slinging, think of him more as a gadgeteer.

As an example, I figured out a way to (after a few levels) toss 6 fireballs per combat round. Assuming a GM allows a specific item, and you can acquire two of them, this can very easily happen in a standard game. SO don't take that as an indicator of the potential power level of the game. Now, the indicator you are looking for, I'm working on a way to make it so that I can do that (or similar) every round... 42d6 has an average damage of 3.5*42=147 damage. I think I can probably pull that off by 6th class level... Assuming the funding s there. Here's how it works, in principle:

Dual wand wielder (Allows a wand to be used in each had at the same time)
Reckless Wand Wielder (Allows a wand to be used at +1 caster level)

6 Arcane Mechanikal Fireball (or other spell) Wands (Does the Damage (or other misc effect))
2 Arcane Mechanikal Rod of Many Wands (Allows three wands to be used in one hand at one time)
1 Arcane Mechanikal Arcane Turbine (and associated connectors) (Provides the spell charges to the Mechanikal wands to allow them to function.)

So far I've figured out several potential ways to come close to the 'every round' goal, but have not run them by Zalun just yet. To accomplish this goal I'd need to figure out how to generate approximately 20 charges per round. I'm pretty sure I know a way that I could do 6 fireballs every 3 rounds, maybe even 6 fireballs ever 2 rounds... I might even be able to pull off a 2 rounds firing, 1 round resting rotation.

Also, eventually, once the money is available, I will be traveling with a mobile artiliery/assault weapon... I think I'm going to call him tiny... and I might do the same thing with a maximum level maximized empowered scorching ray... 216 points of damage based on a ranged touch attack seems pretty nice.

So... Yeah, it's not so much that you will be overshadowed because I'm playing a caster, more because I am not afraid to try things (and potentially blow myself up when said things fail) that others would assume impossible.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Update: I got told 'no' on the above ideas.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:25 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next