View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD (Recruiting) 

Post Re: Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD
Khorne Smash?

Saw a few familiar faces here so I thought I'd stop in and say 'hi'.

So, hi to Z, X, and Phil. :)

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Grimm! :)

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:38 pm

Hey Grimm!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey Grimm!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 pm

I should make it for the meet and greet :D
And I'm still working on the backstory and how it'll effect the character.
I'm not entirely sure how I want to set the skills up yet.

But I'm looking at clockworks and gun smithing as crafts and knowledges, and hopefully professions as well. I'm sure you can figure out why.
Also, were firearms an exotic weapon in this setting? Or are they Martial? I forget...

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:16 am

Firearms are an exotic, they also require a significant amount of money to maintain. The best quality firearms are "Magelock", the smallest of Magelock Pistols costs a minimum of 650gp, actual price is up to the GM it seems. I'm still going through the materials to see if I can find an "actual" price. The book presents them as" only issued to military to highly experienced Gun Mages ...
an auction house in Five Fingers is rumored to have one or two ... expect bidding for the smallest magelock pistol to START at 650gp, while bidding for a military magelock would easily start at over 800"

If I were running the game, to get the benifits of a mage lock, I'd say something along the lines of weapon cost + masterwork + quenched sericsteel cost.

((Serricsteel is an alchemical process used on steel to make it harder and stronger.))

The cheapest one shot firearm that I can find in the book starts is a pinlock pistol:
Item: Pinlock Pistol
Cost: 150gp
Damage (Medium) 2d3)
Crit: 20/x2
Range: 30ft
Weight: 5lbs
Type: Piercing

The most expensive is a Serricsteel Military Rifle
Item: Serricsteel Military Rifle
Cost: 900gp
Damage (Medium): 2d8
Crit: 18-20/x2
Range: 200ft
Weight: 12lbs
Type: Piercing

Ammunition:
Military Rifle: 10-12gp/shot
Pinlock Pistol: 5-6gp/shot

Reloading:
Pinlock pistol
Takes a full standard action and a successful Craft (Small Arms) check DC 8

Military Rifle
Takes two full standard actions and a successful Craft (Small Arms) check DC 12

If you are wanting to use firearms as a significant portion of your combat damage, I strongly recommend taking the Gun Mage class. It's the only way I've seen to make spending that much money on a single attack approach reasonable.

Zalun's games tend to be combat light. Those combats tend to be short. I wouldn't expect more than three full rounds of combat per combat encounter. This means that you will get off, at most 3 shots in a combat round, assuming you have three weapons. Assuming 20 combats to differ the cost over, and the cheapest weapon of standard quality possible, that is 60 bullets at 5.5 gp each for 330gp in ammunition, plus 450gp in weapons costs. (and that is assuming that you never roll a critical failure, which is statistically unlikely, statisticaly, after firing 60 shots, you would have crit failed at least once meaning a 4th firearm should be figured into these costs)

That math equates to roughly 780gp, for a net average of 13gp per attack, regardless of success, for an average damage of 4 per successful attack.

The Gun Mage has abilities that drastically reduce this cost as well as significantly increase damage output, as they can fire spells through their guns and create special bullets that do more damage as well.

Comparatively, a fighter using a normal Falchion will do more average damage at an almost infinitesimal cost. 75gp across 60 attacks is 1.25gp per attack for an average damage of (5+Str_Mod) usually +4 or +5 at first level in Za's games for a melee fighter.

Don't get me wrong. Guns in a fantasy game are cool. Hell, Sampomrys (my character) is going to be churning out firearms at later levels, some even larger than cannons. Since my classes primary function is to create items for the party to use, I already have to pick up Craft: gunsmithing, small arms, clockworks, black smithing, weapon smithing, armor smithing, mechanika, alchemy, and Steam Engine. And, I've already found a way to do it all and have a doubled maximum skill rank. (Yes, my skill rank for craft skills is 8 at first level, and I've found a way to get all of those + Craft: Sculpture... might as well make everything look good right?... at rank 8 at first level, using only published WotC D&D 3.5 rules)

Oh, and, as always, if anyone wants any help figuring out how to do what they want with esoteric rules, just ask. :)

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:56 am

The availability and cost of firearms will depend on how many of the players want to use them regularly. If there is only one of you, then firearms will probably be scarce and expensive. The more people that want them, the more available and inexpensive they will be. If you really want to use firearms with a decent dmg output, I would suggest the Gun Mage class and the Pistolier/Rifleman PrCs.

Like X said, my campaigns tend to be combat lite and those combats tend to be short. This one might be different, but I won't know for sure till after we start and the party starts moving through the world.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:13 am

I look forward to seeing everyone, who can make it, tonight. I'll have the room open on Blackstar around 7pm cst, look for Zal's Game.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Post Re: Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD (Full)
Yeah! we've got a full group!

My character is a Builder (and user) of items that blend arcane magic with technology
Roles that can be filled: Caster (direct damage), Caster (DoT), Caster (Buff/Debuff), Caster (Healer), Melee (Tank), Melee (Damage)
Currently I can't fill these roles quite as well as I'd like, but I can do an adequate job at any of them if that is what I prepare for at the start of each day. Once we get a few thousand GP in our coffers I should be able to fill almost any role, assuming I've had enough time to prepare for it, and assuming you want to, this can also be accomplished for your character as well.

Strengths brought to the party:
Able to build almost ANY magical item any character could want for significantly cheaper than any character could purchase it for, or even create it for, assuming the party is willing to give me the necessary time to build it. This effectively doubles (and then some due to a class feature that reduces the cost to create an item, that will stack with feats that do the same thing) our treasure hauls.

Also, potential book keeping... Treasure...
I tend to suggest we split loots into 2+players, with the two 'extra' shares going to a group fund that will be used for things like resurrections or items that the group as a whole needs such as mounts or the like.

A few of my Eventual plans:
Creating a mechanikal wagon, potentially even a flying ship of some sort.
Creating a Warjack and an associated set of warcaster steam armor.
Creating mechanikal weapons and armor for the party that will potentially be more useful than 'normal' magical items of that type.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Post Re: Recruiting players for Wed Night 3.5 DnD (Full)
Alright, my character, Trixie Ursam, is the daughter of a wealthy 'New Money' Noble whose father early on told her she has to work for her inheritance just as he did. From an early age she learned that she enjoyed playing with gears and clockwork items and simply seeing what she could create using them. When she graduated from the University, one of the few times her father paid for something, she was well on her way to her new life's goal; she would earn her inheritance by forming a successful rival gunsmithing corporation to the only "Clockworks Guns" in the capital. The business of gunsmithing was just beginning to truly take off into fully formed companies rather than small time shops, so perhaps now would be a good time to get in on it. And deep down she knew she could use her knack for creativity and gears to perfect this new killing tool.

She knew however that she would need a large starting fund if she planned on skipping the small time shop. So she began adventuring as a diplomat, consulate, anything where her upbringing amongst the upper echelons of life could give her an edge. She made a few friends along the way, had her fair share of goose chases, but over all she felt she was on the right track.

Roles she can play are Spokesperson, Buffer (to a point), and crafter. She has a limited range of abilities really but later in the game I'm hoping she'll also provide a steady income.

Her strengths are that she can talk. If a fight is meant to be avoided she'll be your best first shot. She may be out of her element out on the streets, but even a petty crime lord has some inkling of the upper class that she can use for an edge. His minions on the other hand... well you guys can handle them I'm sure.
Other than that she can repair and maintain any guns in the party, possibly improve them as well. Her knowledge of clockworks would also extend to rope and pulleys, or really anything else that might require some amount of logical logistics thinking. Series and junctions and anything related, she can wrap her mind around it. Being a bard she also has the normal bardic talents that I'm sure will help out.

Eventual plans are to start a mid sized shop with a manager for while she is away.
Grow that shop as large and prosperous as possible.
Earn her father's noble title and thus his inheritance, as well as her own by that point.

Helping the party will be a way to gather funding at first, but could easily turn into simply helping friends, or even saving the world. Who knows what an adventurer may find these days? "Ursam Firearms, we saved the world, we can save your hide."

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next