View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

creating a game to spec, also interest check 

Post creating a game to spec, also interest check
I'm trying to design a game system from scratch as none of the RPG systems appeal to me. I'd like to play something closer to an empire-building or RTS system, but I keep starting over as I realize each idea I come up with is turns out to be boring garbage. I think if I combined my ample free time with someone else's superior creativity, I might be able to build something that is enjoyable to play.

Here are the game models I'm considering at the moment. Generally I start with the basic Infinitron framework, and build my rulesets by extrapolation:

-Small scale class-based tactical infantry skirmish (Team Fortress 2) ; 1 - 4 players controlling teams, or up to 30 players controlling individual units
-Large scale resource-based strategic wargame (Supreme Commander) ; 1 - 8 players controlling armies
-Magical Dueling Wizards with Large Monsters and Powerful Spells (Magic: the Gathering, Pokemon, every show on Cartoon Network) ; typically 1v1, but can support larger players, typically symmetrical player layout
-Space-based economy builder and dogfighter, with Spaceships, in Space (X3, Homeworld, etc.) ; this model will undoubtedly result in spiraling complexity and become unplayable after 5 minutes
(All of these are the most recent ideas and are still being conceptualized, which is probably the only reason they haven't been scrapped yet. If you've got an idea for a system or setting that isn't a blatant ripoff of an existing property, I'd love to have a crack at building it.)

I only just downloaded this thing a few days ago, so I have no clue what the community is like. Judging by the front page, this is mostly about D20 and GURPS and 1:1 player/character ratios, but I figure there might be an audience for other genres as well.

Maybe larger-scale simulations aren't done because they're still too complicated to be entertaining, even with computer assistance; or too impersonal to grab interest in the first place. Feedback plox.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 am

Post Re: creating a game to spec, also interest check
How about fantasy wargaming, like SSI's old Fantasy General.
It was redone recently by a Russian outfit and released as Fantasy Wars but I always believed that the original SSI campaign setting deserved some fleshing out in the form of a spin-off RPG or RTS.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 am

Post Re: creating a game to spec, also interest check
You should check out Fields of blood: The book of war
http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=7310

I am working on making a homeworld style modification for it.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 am