View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

Polymorph question: D&D 3.5 

Post Polymorph question: D&D 3.5
what happens to an ongoing spell like mage armor, protection from evil..or invisibility etc....when you polymorph into a new creature for 1 minute/level. I couldn't find any reference in the 3.5 FAQ for this. If mage armor lasts 10 hours....for a 10th level caster....and you polymorph for 10 minutes into a hill giant....what happens when you revert back. The rules state that magic items that the new form could use....they would use...and if they could not use..when you revert back they return. Do does the same happen with ongoing spells? So lets imagine you are currently invisible........and you polymorph into a medium sized humanoid...do you become an invisible humanoid? If you had mage armor on before...and you polymorphed into a hobgoblin....would you become a hobgoblin with mage armor and would the mage armor spell still persist when you turned back into your normal self?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:02 am

Post Re: Polymorph question: D&D 3.5
To my knowledge, seeing as they're wildly different effects, there should be no issue with interaction.

Of course, there is the possibility that the form you polymorph into could be ineligible for the spell. If this is the case, I'd say the spell would go inert, and its timer would still run.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 am
Profile YIM

Not to be rude, but this isn't really the forum for this. I personally don't mind, but I know in the past such threads have been closed (or even deleted) quickly.

I will add my two cents that perhaps we could use a board for general games/rules discussion. It may not see much use, but someone may find it helpful. (If the days where this kind of thread would be unwelcome have passed, please read below.)

[Added] As for the rules 'clash' you're mentioning, I'm going to agree with the post above; magical effects are magical effects, they aren't items. There shouldn't be any impact on them from a polymorph spell, though some GMs (I'm not a GM, but I would include myself in this field of thought) may say that if a spell is no longer valid to your polymorphed form, that it discharges/fades/what-have-you entirely, and does not return.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 am

mage armor adds an armor bonus to AC, since whatever you polymorph into is unlikely to come pre-equipped with armor, the spell would still function, but barkskin active when you poly into, let's say a dragon, the dragon form has a higher natural armor than the spell, so the spell, while still active, has no effect.

not many spells offhand would stop working entirely due to a polymorph, one exception is bear's endurance when you poly into a construct or undead, no con means no spell benefit, and no eyes with a vision based spell is pointless, i understand that until the duration wears off or the magic is dispelled, the spell is still active, wether or not it's doing anything benefitial.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:47 am