View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

[Intrest Check] Gehenna City: Supers, Heroes v. Villains 

Post [Intrest Check] Gehenna City: Supers, Heroes v. Villains
Short version: Two groups; one Heroes, the other Villains. The concept: A (potentially living) game world where each group tries to escape a purgatory style city causing conflict between the two groups.

The longer version:
Gehenna City; Bastion of hope for the future; Rotten and diseased to the core.

It's been several years since you arrived in Gehenna City and discovered that fate conspired against you apparently ever leaving. It's not such a bad place though. Sure it has it's idiosyncrasies, such as people that can fly, and entire districts that weren't there yesterday appearing out of nowhere and you know them as if they've been around your entire time here. However, in spite of the drastic departure from what you knew as reality, you have managed to adapt and accept these new facts relatively quickly only taking a few months to adjust your world view and being the trek of becoming a productive member of this new society. You've managed to find yourself a decent job, with a smallish but decent apartment in one of the nicer areas of your favorite district of the city. Once you became established in the city you found yourself wanting something. You tried everything; dating, social climbing, promotion hunting, possibly even abuse of drugs, sex, or other more nefarious items or activites; still you're left wanting. Feeling like something is missing. Today is the day that all changes.

In Gehenna City average citizens regularly experience rare industrial accidents, freakish astronomical events, encounters with otherworldly beings, aberrant genetic mutations, or other phenomena that leave them changed. Something more than what they once were. So frequent is this phenomena that news papers stopped reporting on it decades ago. Usually these people continue to go about their daily lives with no change in their routine. Lulled into complacence by the sheer lack of novelty these events present in this location. Eventually their powers fade away, allowing the person to go back to their 'normal' lives and be relatively happy.

Occasionally one of these events will happen to someone not entirely unlike yourself. Someone with the drive and desire to actually become more than what they once were. The only question is: Will you use your powers to clean the city of it's scourge, or bend it to your will?

Gehenna City; Bastion of hope for the future or Rotten and diseased to the core. The choice is yours.

---
I am looking for a group of at LEAST 6 mature role players. In theory, there is no limit to the number of players that can be involved in this project, however I must impose a limit of 10 due to time constraints of the real world for my group. If other GM's think they'd like a crack at running games set in this universe please contact me and I will get you the pertinent details.

Details:
The system being used is a very old system that very few people seem to know. I will be teaching this game system to any and all participants. I have all materials needed as PDF.

2 groups, each with their own game night will be concurrently running. Occasionally an additional session will be scheduled for all or part of both groups. This "additional" session will occur as often as the two groups come into conflict. The goal here is for the Heroes and Villains to be in conflict.

Ideally, both groups will be unsuccessful in completing their ultimate goals for the duration of the campaign. There is a metagame reason for this, a genre reason, and an in story reason for this.

Success, or 'winning' as the case may be, is viewed distinctly differently than in most games. Success is determined by who 'the city' allows to leave. There are criteria for this and the members of your group will be helping your character to achieve this goal. Defeat at the hands of the opposing faction DOES NOT impact the 'scoring' for these purposes.

Individual heroes and villains are not only permissible, they are highly desired. Individuals will be featured in a "guest star" or cameo type role, but are often necessary for individual sessions.

Character growth will not be restricted. A hero can become an antihero or villain, while a villain can do the same. Characters that will not work within a group will fill the role mentioned above as an individual. An antihero may be best suited for this task as they are often in conflict with both heroes and villains, but rarely at the same time.

All concepts are acceptable assuming they are mature, tasteful, workable within the system, and are not someones property.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Post Re: [Intrest Check] Gehenna City: Supers, Heroes v. Villains
Just to keep things up to date, I currently have 9 people that have expressed interest in playing, the next hurdle will be finding a day and time that will work for everyone involved. If there is a 10th (or more, as i believe there will be at least one that drops due to scheduling issues) who is interested please feel free to drop me a line via PM as that has worked pretty well so far. Since there will be two groups on two different days, there is a bit more flexibility for scheduling.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:05 am

I'm interested! Where do I sign up?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:33 am

I would prefer to play a hero.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:52 am

I'd be interested as well.

I'm not sure if I missed it, but what system is this?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:39 am

It's an old system called Alternity. It was the system that TSR put out just before WoTC bought them out acquiring the license for D&D, it also has a lot of similarities to D20, as well as some very marked differences. It has, at it's core, an extremely simply very unique skill based die mechanic. Both the campaign settings for d20 future and d20 modern were originally settings for Alternity. (Dark*Matter for modern, Star*Drive for future.)

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:56 pm