View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

Dark Ages Mage 

Post Re: Dark Ages Mage
HarryJJ wrote:
Ah I'm afraid I won't be able to play if those are the times as I'm based in London Uk

I have had some players in the UK and other places other than the U.S. before, but the time differences do tend to make it rough for them. I wish you well, but most of the games advertised on these forums are in U.S. time zones. I saw someone advertising a U.K. or Australian timezone game a week or so ago, so I suggest you look through the forums.

I am still looking for 4 to 6 possible players for a Dark Ages Mage game set in the 1230s in the U.K. and Europe.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 pm
Profile YIM

I'll play, if you don't care that I'v never played mage.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:08 pm

vash wrote:
I'll play, if you don't care that I'v never played mage.

Experience with Dark Ages Mage isn't necessary, but it would help if you've played with Mage: The Ascension or Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade or tried any Ars Magica in the past. However, you can do without any of that too if you like medieval/dark ages historical/myth. Do you have any prior old World of Darkness experience (Vampire, Werewolf, Hunter, Changeling or the like)?

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 pm
Profile YIM

Vampire stuff doesn't appeal to me. I don't like how everyone in those games is supposed to all be a vampire/werewolf/ghost. I don't want to be the same as everyone else, unless we're all humans. I don't like the system very much either, but I read a review of this game, and it looks fun.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:14 pm

vash wrote:
Vampire stuff doesn't appeal to me. I don't like how everyone in those games is supposed to all be a vampire/werewolf/ghost. I don't want to be the same as everyone else, unless we're all humans. I don't like the system very much either, but I read a review of this game, and it looks fun.

Mages are all mortals, they just have the ability to use magick and such. There are only 6 of the future 13 traditions in Mage: DA so you got limited choices. I might permit the material in the grimoire supplement as well. Everyone will be one of the 6 types of mages from the main book with the Old Faith and the Order of Hermes being the two primary ones in the British Isles. There maybe vampires who will be trying to kill you and the like since they all exist in this same setting and are enemies of one another.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:17 pm
Profile YIM

You don't have to sell me on the game. I'm just saying I don't like the other WoD stuff.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Those were the two I was considering, the Order of Hermes being the probable choice.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I mentioned that so others can have that information as well. :) Either of those two is fine. My personal favorite is Old Faith who become the Verbena later on. Feel free to make a beginning character per the rules and submit it to my email or pm.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:29 pm
Profile YIM

Does mage really use the Ars Magica magic system? I wasn't aware of that, but you mentioned it, and the reviewer said it was like a sequel to it.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:34 pm

vash wrote:
Does mage really use the Ars Magica magic system? I wasn't aware of that, but you mentioned it, and the reviewer said it was like a sequel to it.

I mentioned the other systems in case you had tried any of them so you had some understanding how Mage differs from games like Vampire/Werewolf, but is similar (set in the same setting/background etc)... it doesn't use the same system as Ars Magica. It uses the general oWoD system instead used by all the Dark Ages line and the modern versions. It is indeed a sequel since Ars Magica is more about "ancient magic/legends and fantasy" where Dark Ages is more medieval since it is set in the historical 1230s. Not that you can't try to summon a "dragon" or the like if you really want too, but the believe/risk is much harder.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:43 pm
Profile YIM