View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Interest check GURPS 4ED 

Post Re: Interest check GURPS 4ED
I was planning on doing a bandit a la Tuco from the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thu May 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Cool, try to send me your characters before thursday. I want to make sure that I have everyones adv/disadv listed so I can be better prepared to run this.

As far as how I GM, I use reaction rolls a lot for any character that doesnt have a set scene or reaction (and even then I might still request a reaction roll). So keep that in mind if you are going to play someone who likes to burp, scratch his crotch, has one of his eyes milky white with bad BO who does all the talking.

The first game should be run on LITE rules. Discussion is open after game for add on books like Gung Fu (which seems an obvious choice for faster gun play). It would be best if everyone understands the combat rules. This isnt dnd, you cant do much per turn in one second, if you do it will be sloppy and full of penalties. The game can be seriously bogged down with just the normal rules, but if everyone knows the rules, and passes their turns, it wont slow the game to a crawl. GURPS isnt about what you will do on your turn, but what you are setting up for your next turn.

Fri May 21, 2010 2:19 am

Should we be creating characters just from the lite rules or include the whole of the basic book?

Fri May 21, 2010 8:40 am

I'm using Old West as a guideline since it was written for 3E, but I'm actually using 4E main Basic book for my pc. Going for a gunslinger outlaw/former soldier type, probably along the lines of Jesse James/Youngers/Wild Bunch. My idea is sort of the "Man with No Name" from the classic Clint Eastwood trilogy.

I have played GURPS a couple of times so I'm familiar with the rules and how combat flows. All you need is 3d6.

Fri May 21, 2010 12:41 pm
Profile YIM

You can use the whole characters book. Obviously certain advantages arent allowed, like super-human ones.

Reason I mention combat is because I always get that odd stare when they realize they cant do much in one turn, some are confused that it takes one second to reload one bullet into the chamber. As tho we are all aware of the combat rules, it wont slow it down and will keep the turns flying.

Also, you are responsible for any bonuses and penalties to your character. Forgetting that an advantage gives you a +2 on a roll is your fault, and will cost you a brain fart moment in the game, forgetting that you get a -1 on a roll from a dis can cost you points at the end of the session, which I count as bad roleplaying (i.e, since forgetting that you have a crippled hand, yet are firing like an ace with no penalties would be considered unrealistic). I will have my list on your characters stats, but either way its not possible for me to remember all stats on all ads/disadvs.

Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 pm

I am having schedule issues with thursday. Next weeks thursday is fine, but afterward there might be a chance that I wont be able to run the game until 9pm est time. I will be open every weekday (anytime, until I find work that is, because I am an unemployed college student) except mon and thurs (unless its after 9pm est).

Fri May 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi guys,

I am interested in playing GURPS here. I live in Southern California (USA), near Disneyland. I am a new GM, with a gaming group there (Banestorm Fantasy.) I have the 4th ed. rules, including GURPS 4th ed. Lite. I know 4th ed Banestorm and Martial Arts rules.

I'm game for any of the mentioned genres , especially Cyberpunk, Supers, or Psy with Horror, or post apacalyptic. I have not yet looked at the 4th ed. rules for Cyberpunk, Supers, or Psionics yet.

When are you starting?

Cheers, :D
Champion of Chaos

Darkness wrote:
The world hasnt been picked yet, and the choice of the world is open to suggestions (supers, space, ninjas, fantasy, horror, etc.), though I shine in serious themes, and unless there is a huge consensus, I will pick the best genre within the groups choices that fits the group and my gm style.

This will use the free GURPS LITE 4ED pdf for the game and combat rules until everyone is comfortable moving on to the more advanced stages of the game. The main character book supplements additional character traits. The campaign features advanced rules for the game. Players only need the free GURPS 4ED lite to play, I will teach the new rules and move on gradually as I move on to the advanced books, but again, all that is needed is the free LITE book, which is only 32 pages.

Post here or send me a private message if interested.

Sun May 23, 2010 7:54 am

Post Character Creation?
Does the GM have the conditions for character creation posted somewhere? Which genre? How many points? What's the Disadvantage Limit? I assume, as per 4th ed. rules, that negative points for Attributes less than ten count against the Disadvantage Limit?

I wanted to Private Message the GM, but unfortunately, I can not figure-out how to do it on this system. I'll try to put my AIM and Yahoo! Messenger IDs on my profile. I didn't see those listed in the GM's profile, nor could I figure-out how to email the GM.

I thought I saw other posts regarding a player wanted to play an old-west-style character, but I can't find it on the "Interest check GURPS 4ED" topic.

Thanx,
Champion of Chaos ;)

Sun May 23, 2010 8:13 am

Darkness,

I'd prefer to start earlier since I'm unemployed myself (but I'm an experienced programmer/project manager) and looking for work, but I could do a 9 pm est to 11 pm est game on Thursdays. My other weeknights are currently taken by other games or personal/family stuff.

As for character creation

Darkness wrote:
Era is Post Civil War

Charaters points are 150pts.

Send them to lostcauseinnyc(at)gmail.com

One paragraph of a story is best, since i will want to write in your stories as story plots and seeds for the game. This will be your chance to mold this campaign into something you want since I will reflect on your stories for inspirations, and it will revolve around these for the theme.

You are free to build whatever, Cowboys, Bandits, Business men who return to being ruthless enforcers (like in Unforgiven) Chinese labormen with Kung Fu skills, French soldier from europe, etc. If the group doesnt mesh well, then I will contact you with ideas to make them seem like they would be a group with common interest as opposed to a group wondering why they are a party in the first place. I am free on some days next week to help build characters if you do need the help, especially since I have the Old west Campaign book.

Game should start Thursday 7:30 pm est (5:30 mt) on the 27th.

Sun May 23, 2010 2:00 pm
Profile YIM

Its up to the group if they want to start early or not.

I am most likely going to return to my martial arts training on mondays and thursdays from 730 to 830pm est (they recently changed the time and day, but its not sure yet since I dont know if i should dive into my bank account just yet). It takes me half an hr to go and return back. So if it was going to be run during the day, it would have to end at 7pm. I dont mind a 9 to 11pm game. But as of right now its not an issue, because its not for sure yet that I will return to MA.

Keep in mind this game is starting lite. I havent run a full fledged ruled GURPS game since 3ed (I used to be part of the Steve Jackson Games MIB convention GMs), and theres no way I can retain thatmuch rules info right now with all my projects and finals I find myself buried in. I should be implementing all the goodies of GURPS when I am done with this semester.

Mon May 24, 2010 12:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next