View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:49 pm

Tomb of Haggemoth 3.5 D&D Wednesdays Recruiting 

Post Tomb of Haggemoth 3.5 D&D Wednesdays Recruiting
Tomb of Haggemoth
Game will likely start sometime between 2:00 PM and 8:00 PM EST on Wednesday. Time to be decided later. Will be recruiting on the Blackstar server on OpenRPG on Wednesdays during this time as well. Please drop by if you can.

The Hook
All of you have received a letter sent to you by a Bard named Zenatos. He writes of an amazing opportunity that he assures will not disappoint. You are hesitant as you have first hand experience with one or more of Zenatos's infamous expeditions which have either failed with few survivors or completely wasted your time. However, you feel no rancor for the scatty old coot and figure it won't hurt to go see him and maybe, just maybe, this time he's on to something wondrous.

The Adventure Itself
Search for a tomb that may or may not exist in an adventure that makes the journey more fun than the destination. The destination is pretty fun too. The Tomb of Haggemoth is an adventure published under the d20 open game license by Robert Kendzie. It will last multiple sessions. The tone is not exactly serious, though I could make it serious if I wanted. I don't.

Characters
Characters are level 3. Standard character generation(4d6 ability scores subtract lowest, max hp on first level, ect.) Standard first level gold amount + 1,500 extra. Cite Sourcebooks
You don't need a character background, but I'd like one if you've got the time. Thinking about what your last encounter with Zenatos was like would be nice as well.
Restrictions:
Clerics cannot be devoted to an idea and still cast spells or turn undead, but I'll allow any deity. If you make it up, just make a decent description on your character sheet.
Players that want to play a dwarven arcane spellcaster MUST have a particularly spectacular concept before I will even consider allowing it.
There are no other restrictions on characters, though I ask that you send me a sheet beforehand. If it's too bizarre or overpowered I may not allow it.
This is in 3.5 edition of D&D, however, I will switch over to Pathfinder if enough people prefer it. The only difference is that I have to rework the adventure to the different power level.

Setting
I'm setting this in a personal setting called the Moaning Drink. The world consists mostly of islands and a few continents smaller than Australia. Coastal living is significantly more common than usual. In fact, if your character can't swim and/or hasn't been on a boat before, it would be surprising. Aquatic subraces are somewhat more common. Characters likely are used to chartering ships to move to and fro.
Arcane magic tends to to be feared. Just keep in mind that if you practice magic openly, you will be watched. If you become too much of a problem, someone may want you to be "dealt with". On the opposite side of the coin, mages sometimes get a significant bonus to intimidate for just existing. Dwarves consider arcane magic to be best left alone and often times will exile mages. Thus most Dwarven made magic items are Divine in nature.
If you want any other information on the setting, just ask. I might have something very specific for your character. I could also just send a pdf of general information, if you want.

House rules
I use a critical miss and hit chart. I know a lot of people dislike these as they think they are cruel, but I assure you that mine are tried and tested and tend to cause just about as much death as the game tends to give out anyway.
Spellcraft rolls are required to cast spells. Failure means that you might lose control of the spell. Consequences are anything from strange effects on your spell to completely different results to penalties. Critical success makes the spell significantly more effective. Divine spells tend to have less bizarre consequences.

Contact
You can always PM me on this forum(probably a better idea), however, you can also e-mail me at ElSingingBush@yahoo.com.

Last edited by GloriousLemming on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:24 am

Post Re: Tomb of Haggemoth 3.5 D&D Wednesdays Recruiting
I can in fact run a game at 8PM EST, however, this is the latest I can start. This is because I tend to work Thursday mornings and don't want to cut too much into my sleep and I feel a 4 hour minimum is required for a game to progress at a decent pace. If I don't have to work on any given Thursday I can run a game as long as everyone wants.

As far as inexperienced players go, I am willing to work with players and am quite patient with people. I believe roleplaying should be a communal effort and that should include helping people learn the game as well.

Any further questions can be asked here as well, in case anyone wants to.

Last edited by GloriousLemming on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 pm

I would love to play. I am thinking a good mix of fighter and caster. How do you feel with the Malhavoc Press Books?

EDIT: Starting gold is going to be based off of the base 1st level gold or base 3rd level from page 135 of the DMG? If it is from the PHB then the total is going to be around 1200 gp if not more less than a standard 3rd level character.

2nd EDIT:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=284136

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:55 am

I have no problems with anything from Malhavoc Press though I will need to know exactly what you plan before we start. The only reason being that they tend to add extra rules to make base classes different. I just like to make a list of said rules so I don't have to look them up during game is all. If you don't use any of them, then it doesn't matter at all.

I should probably rephrase that in the above post. Starting gold is in fact starting gold for first level + 1,500. The reason it's lower than usual for 3rd level characters is because I've added a few extras to the adventure and this keeps balance a little. In character reasons would likely be because you wasted money on your previous work with Zenatos. Greedy characters will likely be just a wee bit angry at him for this. However, I must stress that no one should actively despise him because I've seen someone try and it just dragged down the first session. If you think you're better than that, don't let me stop you, but I'm just trying to make sure things go smoothly.

As an added note this is in fact the third time I've run this particular adventure and my fourth time going through it. I like it that much. Oddly enough this adventure is technically one of the first games in the early stages of the setting I'm using, so in canon the events technically already happened before. Of course that's not a plot point or anything, I just find it funny. I have no doubt that I'm the only person who will find this funny.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:40 am

Hi,

My prefered time is also 7-9pm EST. I am quite busy, but Wed is perfect for me. I have played D&D 3.5 quite ofen in the past and I am familiar with the rules.

OpenRPG is great for me right now.

I do not know the adventure you are to game, but I love surprises and the unknown.

I am a reliable person, so you can count me in if you still have room!
I prefer fighters, mages or spy types (mages with some rogue in them). I can also play any other class as required.
Please contact me here for an answer as a reply or PM (whenever that is enabled for you).

LAter!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:31 am

I'm actually glad people are looking at this as a sort of unknown. I was kind of hoping to go with that. It's not a straightforward adventure at all. There are loads of things going on everywhere you go(even if there aren't, I've added a few) and very many things to do whether required or not. This is not a game that can ever be played the same way twice.

As far as what we have, assuming everyone who has displayed interest so far remains, we have no real needs anymore as all of the major roles are covered to a point. However, a dedicated mage would be useful and to a lesser extent so would a dedicated fighter. Trackers and survivalists might be important and a Bard or Knowledge and lore based character would be quite useful considering the nature of the game. However, since all the bases are covered in a way, I think players should pick whatever they like best. This idea essentially brings complete strangers together all with a rather flimsy grasp on the situation with a person who likely wouldn't have many people taking his bait, so to speak. So feel free to go with whatever you like.

I would like to point out now, we have 6 people displaying interest. The standard game runs at a requirement of about 4-6 and if I increase the difficulty I can get up to 8. Keep this in mind particularly if you are not one of these 6 people.

As of this point, I would like anyone still with me to state their availability on this forum and we can narrow it down to a best time. However, my own availability is still set in stone unfortunately. Also, even if we've already discussed things or if you're even just mildly interested I'd like whoever can to show up on this Wednesday at any time after 2 PM EST. Communications is important and I'd like to see how far everyone has gotten. If everything is together by this time(unlikely, but you never know) I am fully able to run at any time I'm available as long as everyone is ready.

Last edited by GloriousLemming on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:16 am

Ok,

If you will still have me (please confirm), I will play a full mage.

I am available 7-8PM EST wednesday as said before.

What material, content do you alow? If you have a homebrew stuff, can you send me information?

Later

Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:21 am

I allow pretty much any sourcebooks or information as long as I get to review it first. I'll see what I can put together by Wednesday for you in terms of homebrew stuff. I'm not sure there's much you'd be interested, but it might give you an idea. If anyone else wants any, just ask.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:26 am

I can do Wednesdays any time past 2 PM EST, tho I'd prefer the earlier the better, as I am GMT+1, so the time difference may become an issue if we start too late. Also, I am almost finished with that Gnome Barb, so you should expect a pm with a link to the sheet soon. I didn't took anything extravagantly, so you shouldn't expect any munchkins from me. :D I would like, however, to ask on your standing with Augment Crystals from Magic Item Compendum. You know, the ones that you attach to a weapon or an armor and it gets a minor magical a-la-enchantment effect? SOme DM's I've played with don't allow them, so just asking if you might.

[Edit] Apparently, I can't sent PMs for some reason, so here's my sheet. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=284212

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:47 am

As far as time goes, it's very possible we'll have to go with 7-8 PM EST starting time. Should be able to get a good 4-5 hours out of that if we can start on time and don't get off track. However, if anyone is willing to compromise on an earlier time, we might be able to get an extra hour or 2. Either way, it matters little to me as even a few hours is better than nothing.

As far as the sheet goes, I have no problems with it. So far the group seems to be rather versatile, which is very good.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:56 pm