View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next
 Barbarians of Lemuria CONAN anyone? 

Post Re: Barbarians of Lemuria CONAN anyone?
daddystabz wrote:
It means automatically. The Mongoose book mentions they are wiry and thin. I believe it also mentions they are low of constitution, if I remember correctly. I think it said Conan punched and killed one once with a single punch.

I think I'll just make him poitanion. I was thinking of a noble bladesman.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:14 am

Buying off flaws is only done through character advancement. Let me look over Zingarans again in the Mongoose stuff.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:20 am

daddystabz wrote:
Buying off flaws is only done through character advancement. Let me look over Zingarans again in the Mongoose stuff.

That's cool. It's all good. I mostly wanted to play the character as a zingaran for flavor, but I'd rather not take a penalty for it. I can Play an Aquilonian noble just as well. Just let me know how you want to call it.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:15 am

I looked up Zingarans in the Mongoose Conan RPG and I was right. They receive a -2 to Con scores due to being wiry/thin and not too hardy. Conan killed one with a single punch it mentions. That is why they must take the Delicate boon in my BoL translation.

You can reference this on pg 37 of the Atlantean Edition of the Conan RPG by Mongoose.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:53 am

It's however you want to call it, daddystabz, and I'm happy to play the game whether you stick with your decision or not, but I want to make a case against enforcing racial penalties. I don't think it's the best idea for this game.

First off, simply put we are playing heroes. I think it's reasonable to say that all Zingaran NPCs take the delicate trait, but since we're playing the exceptional characters in the world, here the key word is 'exception'. You can say that heroes are more interesting with flaws, and I say that should be player's choice, anyway.

Second, I don't like the idea of translating directly from another system. This isn't d20 and I don't think it should be treated like such. If we are translating from Mongoose's RPG, then why does this translation only apply to flaws? Why not say that Cimmerian characters must spend 2 points in strength, or Stygian characters are prohibited from being barbarians? I'm not saying this is a 'slippery slope', I'm asking, 'why only this, and not anything else?' I think the bottom line is that translating from d20 adds restrictions and complications that are antithetical to BoL's design philosophy.

That's my two cents. I want to add that I like Mongoose's d20 Conan RPG a lot, but this is not that.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 am

You can take multiple boons and flaws in this game depending on how you play your character. I'm trying to stay true to the source material and in REH's Hyboria, Zingorans are wiry and not very hardy. This is why they suffer an automatic -2 Con in the d20 game by Mongoose. What good is it to roleplay in the Hyborian setting if we don't stay true to the material? If we don't strive to maintain the source material we might as well play some generic setting. Check my list of boons and flaws and you will see that many races have to take a certain flaw because it is an inherent part of their culture/makeup from the source material. I put all the options in there to closely simulate the source material. This campaign is not about min/maxing. Regardless if we are playing the Mongoose d20 version or this game we are striving to maintain the source material. The very description of the Zingaran race goes out of its way to talk about how they are not hardy at all and wiry. The entire race. Many races have to take Illiterate as one of their flaws. This is according to the source material.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass, I'm just trying to stay true to the source material.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:34 am

I have thought the matter over and discussed it on other forums. The decision I've come to is to scrap mandatory requirements. You can simply choose any boon or flaw from the appropriate racial list. The lists are narrow enough to still do justice to the source material yet not making certain things mandatory also ensures player choice and for exceptions of the general rule of thumb to be possible.

So all the choices you have for boons and flaws will be identical for each Hyborian race but not all choices are free....no madatory requirements.

Does that work better for you all?

Last edited by daddystabz on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:30 am

Btw, here is a link to a nice Conan BoL character sheet!
http://www.mediafire.com/?eoa4yzwmoy0

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Have you looked over the Boons and Flaws from Legends of Steel? some of those would fit nicely in a Hyborian setting as well.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't have the Legends of Steel PDF for BoL. I wish I did. I only have the Savage Worlds version.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:10 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next