View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:18 am

Savage Worlds - Rippers-esque Victorian Horror 

Post Savage Worlds - Rippers-esque Victorian Horror
I've recently discovered the Savage Worlds system and have been quite taken by the Rippers setting - Victorian-era Gothic horror. I post here to gauge the level of interest in a campaign set in a modified version of this setting - basically I would toss out much of the greater mythology in the books (the Rippers and Cabal as organizations) and use the nuts and bolts for my own stories. I envision a melding of my favorite aspects from the Rippers book with a more Lovecraftian sensibility; the characters do not begin with any personal knowledge of the supernatural and are drawn into a world they did not believe existed.

Suitable character concepts that jump out to me are things like detectives (police or "consulting" - this is the era of Sherlock Holmes after all), a doctors, scholars, and priests, although anything era-appropriate is viable. The characters would not necessarily start out knowing each other (though they might, if fitting) as the first adventure would be tailored to bring them together. Gameplay would be roleplay intensive so non-combat-oriented characters would be quite at home.

The only thing you'd need as a player would be the Explorer's Edition as the modifications to the actual gameplay from the Ripper setting aren't huge and I can easily lay those out in subsequent posts. I'd hope for a core group of at least four or five players, though I'm definitely open to more as I know how difficult it can be to get everyone together on one night and the fact that the characters would have disparate lives of their own lends itself to easy story reasons why not everyone need be present at every session. The sessions would likely be in the evening if a weekday or the day if a weekend, final determination based on player availability. I'm in PST myself and have commitments during the early evening on many weekdays, so we might be a shade on the late side for East Coasters if we do opt for one of those days, and I've committed to another SW game Sunday evenings when/if it gets off the ground.

Last edited by UngratefulDead on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Post Re: Savage Worlds - Rippers-esque Victorian Horror
I LOVE Rippers and have always wanted to get into a group playing it. I do love the setting in the book though with the organizations, etc. I might still be interested in playing though.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:36 pm

daddystabz wrote:
I LOVE Rippers and have always wanted to get into a group playing it. I do love the setting in the book though with the organizations, etc.

If there's an overwhelming preference for that I suppose I could be persuaded (though I'd run a different campaign from the Plot Point Adventures, so no worries for those familiar with them) - the characters would still start unaware but would be recruited in to the Rippers.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 am

I've only recently started looking into Savage Worlds, but if you're willing to take on a new player with decent role playing experience - I'd be happy to join.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 am

I'd be interested in giving Savage worlds a try depending on what day we decide to play on

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Greetings,
I'd be interested in participating in this campaign as well. Though I've never played in a Savage Worlds game, I have looked through some of the materials and I imagine there would be little trouble in learning the system. Also, the Rippers setting seems most intriguing, particularly if Lovecraftian motifs are included, as I am quite the fan of those works. I am also in the PST zone, and available in the later evening, therefore, our schedules would likely mesh.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:15 am

Still looking to do this?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Yeah, I'm still definitely up for this - with four potential players I guess we're at the point where it would be good to start narrowing down a time.

My most East-Coast-friendly day would probably be Friday (not always a good night for general availability though, I know), I could do something like 6 PM-9 PM (9-12 EST) with earlier or later also an option as pretty open that day. If another weekday is preferred I could do 8-11 PST sessions on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday (11PM-2AM EST). I could also do a Sunday afternoon session and perhaps evening if my other game falls through as it hasn't started yet and there's some technical issues apparently. I'm also interviewing for a job (out of work at the moment), so there's no guarantees that wouldn't change in the not-so-distant future, but it's a day-time thing so evenings would likely remain fairly open regardless.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 pm

I can actually play a game on Monday if you are still up for it

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:26 pm