View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

3.5 DnD Game LF Players 

Post 3.5 DnD Game LF Players
A 3.5 Rule Set (Not very strict with rules, making up some as seen fit)
After a great war spanning the continent, the south seeks to rebuild its people after a terrible, war-stricken time. 5 nations border each other, looking to attain dominance and reclaim 'their' land. Farther north, a small mercenary group seeks to attain wealth and power. You are the group.

You can travel anywhere, including staying in the Northern kingdoms to attain your wealth.
Possibly control armies and a nation, or join a military force
As a mercenary group, you can do as you chose, I will just mold your beginning path into a campaign

Players:
Rangers, Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians, Bards, Clerics - Accepted
All types of characters - Evil, Good, Whatever

At most a party of 4 will do, maybe 5

I am not an extremely experienced DM, though I play with my friends often, which we don't abide to all the rules

Playing Times:
Mon - Thurs (4:00 EST - Whatever)
I can attempt to adjust to other times

Respect everyone fairly!
Thanks!

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Post Re: 3.5 DnD Game LF Players
do you mean core classes, or just the 6 listed? the bard seems an odd choice for a decidedly combat-oriented divine class allotment which is why i'm asking.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Just those listed. A Bard may seem odd, but I'm just looking to spice up the group, see any conflicts that may arise. It will not be all combat oriented, lots of traveling, etc.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Any specific reason why Arcane casters and Druids aren't allowed though Clerics are?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 pm

bards are arcane casters, but not primary/upper tier casters like wizards or sorcerers.
the way i see it, the party should have a ranger for travelling-fills warrior slot, a cleric-fills cleric/divine slot, and a bard pulling double-duty in the rogue/expert and arcane slots based on the game design. characters 4&5 can be just about anything they want to be.
as for being a mercenary group...paladins don't generally join them especially when most individuals in them are either chaotic or evil (sometimes both).

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 pm

In the current setting, there aren't supposed to be many arcane casters, just some of lower tier. There may a cause for the paladin to join with another evil character, though highly unlikely. As I said, I'm not the most experienced, but perhaps you guys could teach me a thing or two if you joined. My group in real life, which meets about once every 2 weeks, plays with odd rules and ignores many other rules. It may not sound as enticing, but it definitely spices up some things. Can anyone else list what they would expect in a team of mercenaries? I put all but arcane spellcasters (Not including the Bard), and I am willing to accept other classes aside from the core ones.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Rogue with the proper skill sets can be very valuable to a mercenary company as a spy and saboteur. The Scout (from Complete Adventurer) is another solid choice. Might consider looking at the "Heroes of Battle" book (not Tome of Battle). It has a lot of great tips for playing games that center in or revolve around large scale wars, including rules for siege engines/engineers.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks for the advice! I forgot to include Rogues as well, but they are accepted. Is there anyone who can actually join though?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm

i could join, i'd have to wait for a more definite game schedule since my tuesday and wednesday game GMs are either sick or missing and there's another game i'm trying to get into probably on monday (all run at the same time as yours), so i'd say best bets as of now are on thursdays.

technically, the PC doesn't need to be a part of the mercenary group, instead they could be hired as an advisor/consultant, kinda like an on-call doctor (cleric) or a preferred supplier of magical goods (wizard) who would also be willing to provide information or other, more direct services to the company.
as for full-time members, i see them as more warriors than anything else, so the fewer spells the better, but that's just my opinion. this particular company could have a mini-theocracy leadership, anyone in command has cleric levels.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:41 am

I would be interested in playing. Either a ranger or a fighter.

I take it we are starting at level 1?

I am not available mondays or fridays due to running games

Not really available until 8pm est but can play until 12am or a little afterwords

Openrpg.com Moderator

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:45 am