View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 pm

Saturdays, d20 Modern/Future/Urban Arcana, recruiting! 

Post Saturdays, d20 Modern/Future/Urban Arcana, recruiting!
I'm looking to recruit a few players for a new campaign I'm starting up, to replace my previous game in this slot. I have 2 players from the previous game, but would like another 2 to 4 players.

This is a d20 Modern campaign running on Saturdays from 5 to 7 pm Pacific Time (8 to 10 pm Eastern) on the OpenRPG Dev II server, in the Wardens of Aedenshire room. I might want to run it at 4 pm Pacific if all of the players are able to. Though using various rules materials from d20 Modern, d20 Future, and related supplements, this campaign is set in a medieval/Rennaisance-era fantasy world with magic and artifice, largely focused on arcanotech, a broad category of devices built to operate on magical energy drawn from the preserved body parts and vital fluids of magical creatures. Arcanotech has revolutionized many aspects of life but has seen especially significant use in military applications, resulting in such wonders as flying Airships, powerful War-Golems piloted by skilled Golemriders, mighty Golembound warriors with arcanotech grafts, intelligent Emulant Golems, and the Etherweave dream-construct that allows for rapid, long-distance communication and sharing of information through arcanotech dreamports, though some trained Etherweavers become pirates and steal or disrupt others' use of the information stored in dream-constructs.

Your characters start at level 10, with maximum hit points, 32-point-buy for ability scores, and a starting Wealth bonus of +20, plus any Wealth modifiers for starting Occupation and your 10th-level Profession skill check. Action Points at char-gen will include those for 10th-level and half of those granted at 9th-level, rounded down. Nonhuman characters are playable, and many races from d20 Future can be used in this campaign with different appearance and background descriptions to better suit the campaign setting. Your characters are members of the Wardens of Aedenshire, fighting and searching for ways to end the Rexian Civil War and establish lasting freedom for Aedenshire.

Many rules from the official d20 Modern books will be useable in this campaign, usually with just minor changes in flavor text. Cybernetics is referred to as golemtech, a subset of arcanotech, and cyborgs are called Golembound, as the implants and prosthetics they receive are all made of golem-like pieces crafted from materials like wood, stone, metal, and crystal, with portions incorporating preserved body parts from magical creatures, such as the tendons of a displacer beast or the heart of a gorgon. Mecha are War-Golems, built similarly to golemtech grafts. Robots are Emulant Golems, designed much like magical golems but with more mechanical parts and some arcanotech portions powering them. The Etherweave is essentially akin to the HI-Net, a virtual reality network, but the Etherweave is actually a part of the Ethereal Plane and crafted from ethereal protomatter, accessed through arcanotech devices called dreamports, which project the user's mind into the Etherweave in such a way as to allow limited interaction with the protomatter there, as well as interaction with other Etherweavers' mental projections.

Aedenshire is a small country occupying Aeden's Valley, a large and fertile vale in the Frostfort Mountains that divide the continent of Teles. Aeden's Valley lies near the northwestern end of the mountain range, in a strategic location where the mountains are shorter and more weathered, less treacherous to travel than other parts of the Frostfort range. This puts Aeden's Valley in a valuable position for trade and conquest, the only reliable route for overland travel between northern and southern Teles. This has made the valley a hotly-contested region, and especially vital to the Rexian Dominion when it conquered half the continent over two centuries ago. The arts of arcanotech were developed within the Rexian Dominion over the course of the last century.

It was no surprise to anyone when the rebel uprising that shattered Rexia began in Aeden's Valley, ten years ago, provoking the Rexian Civil War that continues to this day. The people of Aedenshire (formerly the Rexian Domain of Aedenshire, a province of the greater Rexian Dominion) overthrew their Rexian overlords in the valley and have since re-established their old tribal and feudal affiliations. The monarchs, chieftains, thanes, archons, jarls, and other leaders of Aedenshire continue to fight together against the Rexian Dominion, but their fragile alliance wanes as the war drags on and lasting freedom remains elusive.

The Rexian Dominion still maintains sovereignty over much of the Southlands, where it originated, though pockets of rebellion and invasion have broken up portions of the southern Domains. Northern remnants of the Dominion include the Talonian Dominion of the northeast, where Rexian factions remain strong, as well as the Jotunlund Grafdom of the northwest, where giants have conquered and adopted some of the Rexians' cultural trappings, and the Free Marches of the central Northlands, where independent territories have broken free of Rexian rule but continue fighting amongst themselves and with their neighbors to the east and west. Compared to the Free Marches, Aedenshire is fairly organized and civil, though not by Rexian standards.

Early in the Rexian Civil War, rebel leaders in Aeden's Valley rebuilt an old organization from their region's past, now known as the Wardens of Aedenshire. Long ago, the tribal leaders and feudal lords of Aeden's Valley established a pact called the Wardens' Accord, which binds their disparate peoples together when invaded by outsiders from beyond the Valley, supposedly dating back to the explorer Aeden himself when he adopted the Valley as his new home and rallied the natives to fend off invasion from Northlanders. The Wardens' Accord established an organization called the Valewardens, drawn from volunteers and conscripts within the Valley, whose duty was to fight off foreign invaders and organize local forces to fend off such invaders together. Valewardens could conscript a certain number of people from each tribe, clan, or feudal realm during invasions, though local leaders got to choose who to send into the Valewardens' service, within certain parameters of the Wardens' Accord.

The people of Aedenshire restored this organization and its mandate in a new form, the Wardens of Aedenshire, based on what remained of local lore regarding the original organization. Now Wardens of Aedenshire fight as champions of the Valley, mostly battling foreign invaders, but also disrupting the war-efforts of nearby countries so they cannot stage an effective conquest of Aedenshire, as well as occasional championing of local lords and ladies in duels or tournaments against one another. The Wardens of Aedenshire are afforded great respect and, more importantly, great resources for fighting their battles against foreign powers. This includes an exceptional number of War-Golems and Golembound among the Wardens, relative to any other force in Aedenshire, rivalling even the elite companies of the Rexian Dominion in Golemic forces.

At the time of the campaign's start, it is the 4th day of Summer's Peak, 2nd month of the year 230 R.R. (year 230 of the Rexian Record), which is year 10 A.R. (After Rexia) in Aedenshire. The months of the Rexian calendar (still used in Aedenshire) are named after the seasons in order of Rise, Peak, and Fall, starting with Summer's Rise, Summer's Peak, and Summer's Fall, the first three months of each year, followed by similar months of Autumn, then Winter, and finally Spring. Each month holds 4 weeks of 7 days each. Nothing is known in Aedenshire about the world beyond the continent of Teles and some neighboring islands. Aglinar is the dominant language of Aedenshire and some of the Free Marches, as many of Aedenshire's human inhabitants are descended from Aglinar barbarians from the Northlands. The Rexian Dominion uses the Rexis language for most official matters, but local Domains retain their own regional languages from before the Rexian conquest. Other common languages of the region include Dorna, Korik, Leonist, Sigrine, and Tolnan. The racial languages noted in core rulebooks for nonhuman or monstrous races are also commonly used, such as Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Gnoll, Gnome, Ignan, Infernal, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.

I'll post more information later.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Post Re: Saturdays, d20 Modern/Future/Urban Arcana, recruiting!
This looks like a really interesting game to get into, and the intro shows you know how to write (always a plus, hehe). I haven't played modern recently, but I've been going over all the info and I'm looking at a Smart/Techie character, and all the rules and such are coming back to me. If you could use a Smart/Techie character, or even a Smart/Field Scientist type, I could get something around in the next few days.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:58 am

I would be interested in playing in that setting if you still have room

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 am

We certainly still have room! I'm hoping for a total of 4-6 players to start with.

A Smart Hero/Techie should be fine, I don't think either of the first two players is making anything of the sort. So far the only confirmed PC we have is a Strong Hero/Tough Hero/Bionic Agent, focused on high Defense and melee damage.

A bit more info regarding the rules-material in use:

Allowed game-materials include much of what's in the Modern SRD, the d20 Modern core rulebook, most of d20 Future, some of d20 Future Tech, most of d20 Cyberscape, and some or most of Urban Arcana, though I haven't finished looking through that material yet to decide on how much of it will be used. Starships aren't around in this game, only airships, which will use some starship rules but not all, and with much slower speeds and probably only lower-PL starship-tech, limited to atmospheric use. The standard cybernetics rules are in effect for this game, as described in d20 Future and d20 Cyberscape, so there are limited slots for cybernetic "Golembound" implants. The Cybertaker feat can increase your maximum number of allowed implants as normal, but the Cyborg feat is not available (implants must be bought, or grown through Cyberwarrior levels). Mutations, wetware, necrotics, magical advanced classes, nanotech, genetic engineering, and some other options will be available as well, though often under a different flavor-text description suited to the fantasy setting.

The general Progress Level for technology in this game (arcanotech rather) is PL 7, with limited amounts of PL 8 tech around as experimental prototypes. As normal, the Purchase DC for PL 8 tech is 5 higher than the standard PDC, while Purchase DCs for tech of PL 6 or lower are reduced by 2 for each PL lower than 7. I may veto any given item or technology that doesn't fit the campaign and general setting (no dimension wands, jump gates, teleportation booths, etc). If you're not sure about how to handle any particular option from the books, or if you want to be sure whether or not it's acceptable in this game, just ask about it.

Starting Wealth will actually be calculated as though for 1st-level, but with the benefit of any feats or class features you may have acquired that affect Wealth, and +20 added to your starting Wealth, along with your 10th-level Profession skill check (trained or untrained) afterward. Mecha, starships, robots, or the like will not be purchased as single packages; each component with a Purchase DC must be bought separately. Note that you can take 20 on Wealth checks for purchasing anything at character creation. Dice rolls for the starting Wealth bonus and any Wealth loss from purchases will be rolled on the game-server with me before starting play.

If any given item needs to be purchased at a particular character level in order to qualify for a feat or advanced class or the like, then consider your Wealth bonus for that particular purchase to have a +1 modifier per level at the time instead of the +20 bonus noted above, and none of the Profession check's bonus to Wealth applies to any such purchases from prior to 10th-level (for instance, Cyberwarriors need an internal or external weapon mount implant before entering that advanced class). Likewise, if any given feat or class feature grants an item or implant or the like, use your level at the time of that feat's or class feature's acquisition to determine what item or implant choices are available.

I'll post some more setting/background details in the next day or two. Note that this campaign might focus as much or more on roleplay and non-combat activities as on combat, so it may be helpful to have some non-combat skills or abilities for your PCs. Though the Wardens of Aedenshire are primarily a military force, it's not unknown for them to engage in espionage, negotiations, exploratory missions, and other activities from time to time, and some units within the Wardens are especially focused on such missions. I can't say for sure how this group will play out until we actually finish at least a few game-sessions and have a complete roster of PCs.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 am

Good to hear then I will make a fast/tough hero

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:55 am

I agree with Napalm, good news. Of course, I'm not gonna be too great at combat, but it looks like we've got more than enough muscle, eh? I'm gonna start my character but wait for more info before doing skills, gotta decide what's changed and therefore what's good to invest in. And grab some new tech, of course.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:28 pm

considering a dedicated field medic, will likely have the sheet done later tonight.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 am

I've received mjrbatou's character sheet and it checks out, just need to finish a few descriptive details and picking out equipment.

You folks can pick out what equipment you want even if you aren't sure yet if you'll be able to afford it all once we get on the game-server to roll the Wealth checks.

I was too busy yesterday to work on more game/setting details, so I'll finish and post them later tonight instead.

If anyone else has a preliminary or nearly-finished character sheet, please post or private message me a copy or link to check out. We'll discuss and finish char-gen on the game-server this Saturday, hopefully. I should be on OpenRPG around 4 pm Pacific or thereabouts (until at least 7pm), but I'm not entirely sure yet since we have relatives visiting this weekend.

Also, I'd like to know if folks are available to play at 4 pm Pacific Time on future Saturdays?

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:58 am

I'll definitely be available for Saturdays at 4 PST, that's 7 EST for me and if my other game runs Saturdays it's earlier in the day.

Question: I was considering a Neural Computer Link and Neural Network Jack. They're both PL8, but I feel they'd be interesting additions to the game.

Edit: The last part just sounds more confusing as I read it, so it was removed. I'll use my char as an example:

Current Wealth (Before any rolls): +20 +6(Windfall x2) +2(Investigative Occ.) +3(Profession, 13 Ranks) = +31
I believe we'll be rolling the 2d4 to that, but do we take that total result, +31+(2d4) and then try to beat that number via Profession Check to gain a few additional wealth?

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 am

............I just tried to type up a response, but apparently, due to various stupid distractions around the house, it took too long and the forum ate my post when I tried to post it. -_-

!^&*!%^)!%^(!^%(!^%)!!%!!

The short version: yes those implants are available, at the usual +5 to PDC due to their higher PL. If you want to connect to the Etherweave without being close to an allied Dreamport, you'll want to add the Satellite Datalink gadget to the Wireless Neural Network Jack (+1 to the PDC). And your Profession rank bonus (+3) would not be added to your Wealth until after rolling the Profession check against a DC of 28 + your 2d4 roll, given the numbers you listed.

Further description and setting detail may have to wait until morning, after that stupid post-eating forum crud.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 am