View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 D&D 3.5 campaigns on Sundays (now on hiatus) 

Post Re: D&D 3.5 campaigns on Sundays, need more players!
Hi Arkhandus & all,
If there is still an opening, I would be interested - reach me at caviet.mortis "at" gmail "dot" com and I'll put together a character, would play a human, very flexible role wise. Last played in 87, so would be rusty at first but I'm sure I could pick things up quick.

Thanks,
-Tisker

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Tisker...if you haven't played since 87' the game has gotten a bit more complicated. I remember in the eighties I could have one favorite character and many NPC. The game has evolved a lot where most people focus on one very detailed character with a lot of skills and depth of character development. Regardless, basic things like hit points, armor class, experience points to gain levels remain. I suggest you show up on the DEVII server of openrpg at 9 pm ESt and query the DM Arkandus on whether we can manage another player....I think we still need 1-2 more because we have some inconsistent players....and the group is very supportive about helping new players to D&D and new people to the openrpg format. Cyst aka tomm.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:21 am

Yeah, we probably still need one more player for the Sunday night game (6 pm Pacific, 9 Eastern).

I don't mind explaining how to handle OpenRPG or the game-rules for folks. Ten important things to note about 3rd Edition/3.5 Revised D&D, relative to 1E/2E AD&D:
1. THAC0 has been replaced with BAB (Base Attack Bonus) which is added to attack rolls
2. Armor Class is now a higher number (10 + modifiers for armor, shield, Dexterity, etc.) so attack rolls succeed when they're equal to or higher than the target's AC
3. Higher rolls are now always "better" than lower rolls (with the odd exception of teleportation errors and I think Confusion-effect random actions, which still use a d% roll table of results)
4. All multiclassing is now like the older-edition human dual-classing but without losing your old class benefits (and you can return to advancing in an old class later, and all races use the same multiclassing mechanic)
5. All races have access to all classes and without any race-based level cap (humans are still generally a good choice for any class, due to their bonus feat and bonus skill points in 3.x rules)
6. Proficiencies are now mostly handled through feats while nonweapon proficiencies are now skills with ranks (and each class has a set of class skills, which can be advanced further in rank than cross-class skills, and class skills are cheaper to purchase ranks in, but anyone can use any skill unless it's a trained-only skill, such as Disable Device or Open Lock)
7. Thieves are now rogues, and thief skills are now part of the general skill list (though most of the old thief skills are only class skills for rogues, bards, rangers, and such, so other classes have a tough time advancing those skills and can't reach the same maximum rank)
8. Hit Dice are no longer capped at 10th-level for characters with classes (but monsters now tend to have more Hit Dice as well, and NPCs now have class levels, though most NPCs are still low-level and most NPCs use a set of weaker NPC classes like warrior, expert, adept, aristocrat, and commoner, rather than the more-powerful PC classes like fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard, etc.)
9. Extra attacks per round are determined by your Base Attack Bonus and the extra attacks use a lower bonus than your first attack of the round and combat rounds now represent about 6 seconds of time with Initiatives rolled only at the beginning of battle (monsters with multiple natural weapons, such as claws and a bite, get their own set of attacks per round rather than determining it with BAB)
10. Arcane spells and psionic powers may be used normally while wearing armor and spellcasting actions normally resolve on the caster's turn rather than later in the round (but arcane spells suffer a chance of spell failure based on the type of armor worn, and certain spells require longer than 1 turn to cast, such as Summon Monster spells which can be interrupted before the caster's next turn)

That pretty much sums up the important differences for figuring out 3rd Edition D&D after playing an older edition previously. The core rules for 3rd Edition are available online through the System Reference Document (SRD), since Wizards of the Coast bought out/bailed out TSR and used a more-open policy with 3rd-party publishers and such (though now WotC makes 4th Edition D&D and has abandoned the old d20 System and Open Gaming License, now using a more-restrictive Game System License for 4th Edition). The best copy of the SRD I know of is the Hypertext d20 SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Ark, if you are looking for another player, I would be happy to join you. I just need to know how to contact you. I have yet to figure out how to browse and figure out the workings of the OpenRPG forums if your email would be listed elsewhere on the site.

*Figured stuff out easily here. Assumably, you must be my friend in order for me to see your email address. I am guessing.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:43 am

Sorry folks, I had problems with my internet access for an hour or so around game-time, so I wasn't able to show up on the server until about an hour late. After a while waiting there with Keen, Garfield, and Navi, I decided to call off the session until next week. I'm really tired now and a bit sick, so I decided to just continue the game next week when we should have more of the group present.

I'll send an e-mail or something for anyone whose posted interest in joining the group this week, but I'm too tired to deal with that stuff right now, so I'll take care of that on Monday or Tuesday.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 am

sorry Ark - I waited until about 10:20..then rollled over and fell asleep....I'm gonna send you my phone number to your email address. Write it on your refrigerator or something. if you have an internet problem just give me a hollar.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:29 am

HI,

I have been away for 4 years from roleplaying (busy life) and starting to feel a nasty urge to come back to roleplaying and D&D. I played quite a bit on 3.5 DMing and also playing tabletop. My busy schedule makes it hard to play tabletop, so I would like to go back and try openrpg again (played a bit on openrpg 5 or so years ago).

If you are still looking for players for your sunday night campaign (9pm EST sunday is perfect for me) I would be interested. I like a good gaming group full of solid players.

Let me know if there is room. If there is please give me details.
Later.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:34 am

Argh, I was too tired and distracted this week to remember to send out e-mails at any of the times when I wasn't busy and was near the computer........haven't done much on the computer this week. I'll see about e-mailing folks tonight.

We have 5 players in the Sunday night game currently, plus 1-2 who may or may not be returning and haven't shown up or contacted me in a few weeks. So we're looking for 1 or 2 new players on Sunday nights (maybe 3, at most).

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 am

HI,

If you are interested in having me as a player, please send me a message explaining the details. I am a good player, reliable and like a healthy roleplay/combat mix.

I can play a cleric or a fighter or anything that will fit the group right now.

Let me know,
Later!

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:07 am

I suggest you show up on the openRPG dEvII server. we nominally start at 9 pm. EST.generally anywere between 9-10 depending on how punctual the group is. Somewhere in the beginning of this thread are details of the campaign, 32 point buy, new players somewhere between 8-9 level.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:27 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next