View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 pm

Problems with letters: Filter, Saves, Updates 

Post Problems with letters: Filter, Saves, Updates
Hello all,

our Star Wars group played last night again with OpenRPG. Thanks to those who made it possible.
I always find the group is playing more "in char" than when we meet in reallife.

But we had a few problems, too:
At first, my OpenRpg didn't run the full Autopatch through. It crashes always at weapons.xml.
Since I thought that would just relate to Dungeons and Dragons, I didn't care.
I was able to simply play, but I have to admit, that we didn't use much of the OpenRPG features (old group, well known setting).
We didn't need a map or something.

But we are from Germany. And we have special letters, that are very common: Ä/ä Ö/ö Ü/ü or the ß. (the last is not a 'B')
Everytime we type an answer with just one of those letters included ... the message did not get sent.
It slows down the speed, because you have to read your messages over and over (and those letters are just very normal to Germans, so hard to find).

Then I thought I could help myself, by creating a Filter:
Everytime I used an 'ä', the program replaced it with an 'ae'. But first time I tried, the program crashed. After that, the alias lib couldn't be closed, anymore. Then I couldn't type any message or got an update on the chat log. (Even though the program didn't seem to have crashed)
I don't know how, but then I got a working filter. I saved it. And then I exportet it to the tree (I wasn't sure what it means, but I thought I should have as much "saves" as possible, so the program would use it as a default and I wouldn't have the trouble next time).

Now I started my OpenRPG and ALL my aliases are gone and my filters (even the default ones). There has been no save-file I could load.

Is an Update dealing with that?
How can I permanently save? It would be useful for preparing the quests as a GM.
How can I save / load / import my configurations?

Nevertheless, we had a great evening and were able to play since a long time.
Thank you !

And how we say in Germany:

"Viele Grüße" ;)

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 am

Post Re: Problems with letters: Filter, Saves, Updates
I always hate encoding issues.

OK, so German should be easy enough. You are still using Windows 1252 / Latin 1 character set. It should be the same character set as US / UK / most Western Europeans use. So basically this might simply be an inability to use the top 128 characters of the standard set which is a simpler matter to test. I find I can send the ß character (code = 223, hold Alt and press 0223) and it sends to chat just fine. What version of OpenRPG are you using? You said something about an "autopatch" although I am not sure when OpenRPG updates without asking, but at any rate if it fails in an update what is the version it claims to be when you have the program up?

Confirmed: I could not get a simple filter changing "ß" to "B" to work, although it did save, the program didn't crash, alias lib didn't refuse to close or re-open and OpenRPG didn't freeze up as reported. I think the latest alias lib saves are only to files (not to the tree). I assume you have a slightly older version than me which is no surprise since I have the latest development version nobody is testing :(

So it looks like you might have lost your filters due to the alias lib being saved in a bad format because of some issue with the top 128 characters. Is it really gone or do you have most of it left if we could fix the flaw in the file? There's two places you might have it still. One is as an .alias file in your myfiles folder. If you have it still there make a copy before messing with it. If you fail to load it you might be able to edit out the bogus line by hand by editing it in notepad or something else. It's a simple xml format. Simply find the part which represents the filter that caused the problem and remove that section of xml. The same could work for aliaslibs saved in your tree as a node. Save a copy of the entire tree and edit it in some text or xml editor and remove all the xml referring to the new filter.

But all of that is only if you lost a lot of data in the alias lib and have no older backup and perhaps that is NOT the case since you seemed pretty happy. If that's the case and we don't have a loss of data / data corruption issue then you might only need update your version of OpenRPG. Now you said this somehow going wrong on a file called weapons.xml (which as you say is itself pretty ignorable as an issue). If that is preventing you updating you can always reinstall OpenRPG anew from 1.8.0.0 (the latest versions of OpenRPG / Traipse are happy to have multiple versions installed without them all messing each other up so you can install a new version and not delete your old version until you are sure the new one is working, you can also rename the installation directory without ill effect).

So in summary:
what version of OpenRPG are you using? if it is not at least 1.8.0.0 or Traipse try upgrading / installing a new.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:57 am

Thanks for the fast answer!

I use the openRPG version 1.8.0, which is the latest, right?
And the Update starts automatically when I start openRPG. There was no option I activated for that, in fact did I start with looking for other ways to help me, one day after the problems appeared.

I tried what you said about the 'ß', by holding ALT and typing '0223'. The 'ß' appeared in my command line. But I wasn't able to send it.
By pressing RETURN, the command line clears, as if you did send a message, but there is none.
I figured a way, though: Plugins / Control Panel
There I activate the Spelling checker.

I just type '/spell add ß ss', and every word with an 'ß' in it, will be spellchecked into a word with an 'ss' instead (which has been the former right spelling in German).
That would be fine for me, but we have a few letters, like the ones above (ä ü ö ß ).
Can I load an .xml file, so that everytime I start openRPG, I can load a file and my spellchecker is active, replacing the German letters in some similiar ( ae ue oe ss), which most people are used to.
And since this is quite comfortable (if those settings could be saved in a file), is there a possibility this file could get loaded by openRPG as an autostart or something?
I don't know, since there is the Plugin to be turned on for it.

You solved the case about the alias lib:
It wasn't gone, it was just somewhere else. I didn't notice that I had more than one version of the program installed. I played with one of them, while the program crashed.
Then I accidently started the other one, because of the desktop shortcut.
My German-letters-filter there should work (it did before), but if my alias lib backfires again by crashing the whole program, I would like to know if I could load / autostart a filtersetting like described above.

And just curious: What is Traipse? :)

And maybe another matter where you could help out: I couldn't find any character sheets for 'Star Wars d20'. It's different from the Saga Edition, so I already started with changing the character sheets. It works so far, but it's ... simple. :) Do you know where I could get some resources for that (awesome) game?

Thanks a lot

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Traipse is a fork of OpenRPG. Sometimes bugs ahve been fixed there that have not int he main "branch" although in this case I think it is the other way around.

I checked and the ß bug is in 1.8.0.0 and 1.8.0.4 but seems fixed in 1.8.1.0

That makes sense now I think of it although I had not thought about that issue. I was trying to fix some issues involving copy and pasting text that contained some unicode characters like the special characters for elipsis (...) or special characters for open and close quotes or double hyphen (--). These are used by some word processors. Apparently the same code change fixed the é and ß stuff (diacritics).

The 1.8.1.0 version is currently only a developer version. On the updater select dev or developer in the first drop list and 1.8.1.0 in the second drop list. (I think that's how it looks - I can't get my updater to work because I am having internet issues currently). Now there's a bunch of new features in that version and I've been using it for six months but not many others have been.

On the topic of plugins you can have OpenRPG remember which you want to load when OpenRPG starts. Under the menu Plugins / Control Panel a dialog pops up and you can select a plugin and hit "autostart".

On the topic of how to get the Star Wars special node / character sheet (and others) right click on "Game tree" in the tree window and select "Insert Features Node". Open the features node and then under "Templates" and "Tools" double click on "Create New St*r W*rs character tool"

For other tips on using OpenRPG to play Star Wars I suggest talking to Alicia here:
http://swrpgrc.com/

She's made some notes/help on using OpenRPG too and has been active in helping people make OpenRPG more understandable in the past.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:47 am

Great, then I will try Traipse, too. Do my character sheets for openRPG work for Traipse, too?

When I select
current version: dev
version: 1.8.1.0
and I hit UPDATE NOW, the Update stops at d20feats.xml
always.
[EDIT: DOS shows me:
File "C:\Python26\lib\urllib2.py", line 510, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError<reg.get_full_url<>. code, msg hdrs. fp>
urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 400: Bad request_ request protocol version denied]

I would really like to try that version, but I don't know how. What have I done wrong?
Is there a direct downloadlink for the dev-version?
And would it work together with other players 1.8.0 versions, or would they need 1.8.1.0, too?

Ah right! Would the plugins also remember what I typed in the last time (in case of the spellingchecker, for example). Or do I need to configure it again?
or can I open a file with commands, where all my spellingcheckings are listed? /openfile or so?

Yes, thanks! I found it.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:37 pm

prof.ebral is usually very active on the forum and Traipse is his project but when he gets back i imagine he'd be happy to explain any differences as he sees them. I'd be interested to see if Traipse has the same issue with the German diacritics / special characters. probably yes.

I am not sure why your updater is failing. It might be the server but my internet is a bit screwy and I can't test the updater.

So... as you say OpenRPG's installation process is nothing but copying files across which means there's a couple of alternatives to the usual updater to get you the 1.8.1.0. version. One is just to zip it all up so I did that here:

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/openrpg ... GfeJe5cbLr

For some reason it's 5.5 mb not about 1-2 mb as normal but because of my internet problems I can't get a vanilla copy so I am sending a copy of my own files minus obvious personal stuff (though there might be some custom plugins in there). I zipped it using 7zip.

I am not familiar with the spellchecker plugin but I cannot imagine whoever wrote it would make you re-enter the word substitutions every time you play as that would be terrible. Try playing with it. Of course hopefully 1.8.1.0 will work for you.

As for whether it is the sender or receiver..... I believe that the fix was that odd characters are substituted for an HTML entity. That would mean that if you have 1.8.1.0 you can type the special characters and 1.8.0.0 can receive them OK, but the 1.8.0.0 guy couldn't type and send them to you (or anyone).

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 am

davidbyron wrote:
I am not sure why your updater is failing. It might be the server but my internet is a bit screwy and I can't test the updater.

I wonder if this is related to this persons problem.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=714

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:50 am

You are awesome, sir!
Everything works so far.
I did not test the downward-compatibility with the former versions,
but I'll check this out later (otherwise openRPG will become potential threat to my studies.. ;) )

Thank you!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:22 am

My own problems may be virus related. Either the virus or a problem trying to fix the virus. Currently I get nothing from the updater at all (no connection) or the metaserver (no server list) and I get no images loaded. Oddly enough though I can still get in a game because the messaging still works fine and I have servers bookmarked.

I wonder if something like that isn't going on because we know that the updater works. I can see it failing to start but stopping half way through is just plain weird. Add to that their other issues.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:31 pm

OK fixed my own problems with a windows reset that shouldn't have worked but apparently did.
Now I can try to repro this issue.

I download a fresh installer and run and update from a fresh 1.8.0.0 to 1.8.0.5,

As the right hand window fills up with the list of files being updated the scrollbar doesn't show well until you resize the dialog wider. It looks like the weapons.xml file is the last file updated and its not doing anything more but sort of flicker. Its actually adding a lot more files to the list. When it is finished it closes the update window and if I restart OpenRPG it does not try to update again.

I do appear to have an error (on the DOS box) from the aliaslib that looks like its trying to filter a non-existent string of text and failing, but OpenRPG carries on and ignores the error.

The reported error does sound like an internet connection type of error.

Quote:
File "C:\Python26\lib\urllib2.py", line 510, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError<reg.get_full_url<>. code, msg hdrs. fp>
urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 400: Bad request_ request protocol version denied

There's nothing to suggest the error occurs in the update process beyond the fact that it tries to keep on updating.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:49 pm