View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

Troubleshooting OpenRPG, Python, wxPython on Mac 

Post Troubleshooting OpenRPG, Python, wxPython on Mac
I have been struggling with these programs for over a week and really hope someone can help

I have reinstalled a number of times even trying different versions. After numerous failures, I tried editing script and removing frameworks from system folders to start from scratch. It just gets worse. Now when i install Python, i have to uncheck the Fix system Python on Custom installation to avoid an install error. Worse yet, after a successful install of wxpython, it still tells me in terminal that "i really really need wx!". I can't update anything or otherwise try to troubleshoot. OpenRPG just won't run... Anyone Mac Wise out there have any ideas or links to tutorials, etc?

Short of reinstalling Mac Snow Leopard, is there anyway to get python installed off the Mac Install discs?

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Post Re: Troubleshooting OpenRPG, Python, wxPython on Mac
Sounds like you really frelled it up. It would have been nice to see the original problem before you tried reinstalling everything. You should not have had to mess with the frameworks or any of that.

As for adding python from the install disc. I've never done this but all you should have to do is insert your disc and pick optional installs then find python and follow the instructions. Like I said I've never done this but that should do it.

Now whether or not this fixes your problem I don't know.

The most common problem with openrpg not running on mac is that it tries to use IDEL to run the file. If this happens just "get info" for the start client file and set it to open with python launcher instead.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks!

Problem is, I went to some (really) bad 3rd party walkthrough advice and when i tried returning the original folders to their place from the trash bin, it never reverted everything back to normal. Now that you mention IDEL, that stirs some recognition. . . had I only known about this board before I started messin :)

As for the install disc, there is no option of installing Python. The OS is Snow Leopard if that makes a difference. The only options for install are programs such as Roxio and a few others but no mention of Python. I'm tempted to reinstall the OS on top of existing - will this cause further headache?

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:36 am

Sounds to me like your going to have to reinstall. This should fix everything back to where it should be.

There may be an easier way to fix this other than a reinstall but I don't know how.

I would suggest checking on a mac support forum first to see if anyone there can give you better advice.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks, Paul!

Your advice has been great. Good to have folks around who know what they are doing and are willing to help

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:16 am

I had a similar problem.

My solution: Install OpenRPG on a virtual machine. I did this because OpenRPG requires a version of Python that is incompatible with other software that I use.

I use the free VirtualBox (was Sun now Oracle) and Ubuntu. My Host OS in CentOS.

I know that you can not run Mac OSX in a virtual machine but you can run it as the host. I can recommend this Virtual Solution as a quick and dirty fix until you find the Mac OSX answers that you need.

By the way. Check the Python versions. You might need Fink for some other stuff.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:07 am