View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

Can't get OPEN RPG to work? 

Post Can't get OPEN RPG to work?
Whenever I try to load the server or just openrpg, the black dos menu comes up. There's like 10 lines of script, and then the dos program just immiedately closes. It's so fast I can't see anything that is in the codes.

Help?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Post Re: Can't get OPEN RPG to work?
There should be a "crash-report.txt" in your o-RPG folder. Please post it's contents here.

Also please run "system_check.py", this should create "openrpg_sysinfo.txt". Please also post the contents of this file here.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Tried looking high and low through my O-rpg folder and could find no such report.

Also, go to the run screen. try to run it and get

"Windows can't find 'system_check.py'. Make sure you typed the name in correctly and then try again"

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:42 pm

When you are using Windows Vista/Seven do not use the search function.
It only searches your personal office-documents. It wouldn't find itself, any important windows file or even the explorer.exe/winload.exe if the future of the universe would depend on it ;)

Depending on the fork you installed, the files can be found in different places.

As you seem to use Gilgrease-Release:
All thre Files are/should be created in the folder where you installed OpenRPG(i.E.: c:\programm files\openrpg), If there aren't at least 6 folders and 13 .py/.pyc files, your installaton is damaged.

If you use Traipse:
There should be 3 folders (mercurial, System, System-1) and 7 py/pyc/pyw files. If not, you haven't used the setup.py as you should have done.
The system_check.py should be in the traipse-folder (c:\traipse on my computer), and there should be one in each of the system-folders. I don't know why this tripple redunancy exists, but use the one in the main-folder.
"openrpg_sysinfo.txt" and "crash-report.txt" should be created once in each system-folder as well. If they are the same, just post the one.

You can not run openRPG from run-dialog or the commandline in that way. They are not compiled-programms. "python c:\traipse\Traipse.pyw" or similar should work however. (this say the python.exe to run the script called traipse.pyw for a Traipse-installation).

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:14 am

The System-1 folder you speak of is a by product of running setup.py twice. Traipse renames the System folder to System-1 or System-2, etc... (Basically System-# where # is the next in line) to ensure you lose none of your data. You can safely delete it, but I would make sure you have all of your files recovered from it.

The mercurial folder is the portable mercurial that I am using so the Update Manager can use mercurial without the forced install. The forced install was ugly and dependent on Python versions.... no longer. The mercurial folder will be renamed to merc_engine in Pious to prevent possibility of Traipse running an installed Mercurial (causing conflict) instead of the provided Mercurial (which will have a known structure).

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:21 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks for the info. I deleted the folder.

@Nick_mi:
I still think you use the gillcrease fork of OpenRPG, so that shouldn't affect this error-search-chase much.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:11 pm

So what do I need to do?

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Cool! A new tech support volunteer! Do you do any coding?

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 am

davidbyron wrote:
Cool! A new tech support volunteer! Do you do any coding?

No, I'm just a application developer trainee, who likes to guess. But usually my guesses are fairly good and I learn fast. But you have a piont here, as the dos-windows is supressed based on the ending and even traipse has it's share of .py files (sometimes I even read the manual/faq :) ).

Nick_mi wrote:
So what do I need to do?

How about checking and telling us what fork you use/folders and files you have? Checking again if there is realy no crash-report and system_check.py of if you just overlooked it?
What files do you use to start?
Give us some info's here. No one in this forum has a +10 Crystall Ball's that tells him what Problem OpenRPG has on your computer ;)

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:27 pm