View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Miniatures BG transparency 

Post Miniatures BG transparency
Hi... It may be a stupid question, but what color is considered transparent by program. I once loaded a picture with white bg to miniatures and bg was transparent. But now i cant get it to be transparent again...

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Post Re: Miniatures BG transparency
Transparent is as far as I know the only color that will come out clear.

Sometimes an image will look like it has a white background but that is just the way whatever program your using to look at is framing it.

Did you change the format of the image, like to jpg. Because jpg doesn't have a value for transparent and any pixels that were transparent in the other formate will become white when you change it to jpg.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:10 am

I am almost certain that OpenRPG does not have transparency. All of the images are forced into BMP format. This is a limitation of wx.Python as far as I know.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 am
Profile YIM WWW

And yet I once had a picture with transparent bg, and spoony constantly have pictures with transparent bg on Lordkat Live streams... This openRPG of yours just full of surprises ))

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 am

Well I use Gimp2 and transparent backgrounds for my .png files I create. OpenRPG will display transparent if you have transparent in the mini. Simple enough. As to how transparent is created in a image file that's a whole 'nother topic. I don't really know but Gimp handles it with layers and alpha this or that. I just Google the help on it if I forget.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm sure that picture I use already have transparent bg... they are battlecharsets for RPGmaker, so they are MADE to have transparent bg...

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:26 pm

Can you link to them?

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:29 pm

After I worked on picture with GIMP it stopped loading from my PC. Just ignores pressing "Add Miniatures"... BUT... if i load it from the web it works perfectly. I suppose, pictures actually were without transparent bg...my bad...

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm

prof.ebral wrote:
I am almost certain that OpenRPG does not have transparency. All of the images are forced into BMP format. This is a limitation of wx.Python as far as I know.
I can also verify that Traipse can supports transparency. Of course, this only works if the file is in a format that supports tranparency (like .npg) and O-RPG can read the format.
The best way to get transparency, if there isn't any already, is either Photoshop or GIMP (for those who don't have 2000 $ ;) ).

This works best if the background in your original has only one colour: Use "Fuzzy selection (Magic wand)" on the background, invert the selection, copy seletcted picture in a new picture with a "transparent" background. Save as .png.

Note that most File-Formats that use transparancy tend to create much bigger files than .jpg (.png can be 2-3 times as big), so keep that in mind when you have to upload it to a server first. But for most times, you shoudn't get to close to 100 KiB with your miniatures.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:06 pm