View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

Pious Paladin Network Code Far More Stable, Node Conversion 

Post Pious Paladin Network Code Far More Stable, Node Conversion
I can comfortabley announce in the Pious Paladin release of Traipse OpenRPG I have corrected the random disconnects that have plagued OpenRPG for several years now. The new network code is far more stable, now, than in previous versions.

The new node sending code stops nodes from being sent, even to the server, until one person has accepted the node. Receivers of nodes are allowed to see the size of the node, in HDD space, before they accept it also. Once one person has accepted a node that is to be sent to multiple people, the server retains the sent node to send again until it has received 'Accept' or 'Decline' messages from the other clients.

Admittedly the network code is still not as stable as I would like it to be. Occasional disconnects do happen, though it appears the problem is not related to the network code. Rather, the error is caused by a thread being killed by a different error or the server resets the connection and a new connection and socket is not created.

Hopefully this will help bring people over from OpenRPG 1.8.0, which is not in active development. The developer of that version unfortunately has presented a facade. DJ Gilcrease is not the original developer, and no one who was on the original development team is working on OpenRPG 1.8.0. In fact, no one is.

------

In the Pious Paladin release of Traipse OpenRPG most nodes will convert to the new format I've created. I have minilib_handler and webimg_handler nodes that do not convert properly. I also see a problem with nodes in containers not fully converting. The node conversion method is of great importance for the stable release of the Pious Paladin release, as it will allow users of the older versions of OpenRPG to load their old tree and not loose one iota of data.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Pious Paladin Network Code Far More Stable, Node Convers
Forgive me, but I would rather wait until the stable release of Pious.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Post Re: Pious Paladin Network Code Far More Stable, Node Convers
No offense taken, but you may be wating a long time. Understand that Pious Paladin is a vast rewrite of the software. It greatly advances older features. Take a look at this video of 'Live Nodes': www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXT4hJn1ZIM

Nodes in Pious Paladin open instantly. When a node uses references to find data, such as grids with auto calculations, that data is threaded. With 'live nodes' you can open your node, modify it, and the open node changes as you modify the node.

I understand waiting until the node conversion works well enough to convert your entire old gametree. I understand if you are a server admin waiting for some server features to be completed. But if you plan on waiting for 'Stable' ... I think you are doing yourself a diservice. I have a lot of work that needs to go into the software yet. There are a lot of new features that need to be fleshed out and completed. I'm at a stage in development where I wont be adding anything new, I'll just be working on making the features in Beta better and complete.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW