View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:06 am

Shadowrun Dieroller 

Post Shadowrun Dieroller
I'm a new (possible) OpenRPG User and new to Python. I and my group are interested in running different systems, including Shadowrun 4th Edition and (possible) the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game.
As far as I can tell there is no Die Roller for even Shadowrun. I tried the wod roller, but I don't even understand what this one is counting/calculating out of the dice and the others can only add.
Is there any way I overlooked (trough not understanding) how to pull this off? Except for just rolling Xd6 and counting them by hand.

If not, I could make a functional roller. I have no Idea of Pyton by now, but I know C++, Delphi and PHP good enough to make one with one arm on my back in them as the algorithm is simple (wich means I have most likely overlooked the way).
I have already located the pyton manual and tuotorial, but not taken much look jet (it's too late for me).

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:40 am

Post Re: Shadowrun Dieroller
I don't know what the Shadowrun die roller algorithm is. Can you tell me what it is?

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:03 am
Profile YIM WWW

0. [Get the dice; get two counters]Save Xd6 in a array, one field per dice; make two counters: hits and glitches starting with 0
    1. [Process the array]for every dice/arrayfield:
      a. [Check for Glitch] If it is a one, increase glitches by 1
      b. [Check for hits] if it is a 5 or 6, increase hits by 1
    2. [Print the results] Give out your results in the format "Dice thrown"/"Hits"/"Glitches"

Thats it basically. I must admit Glitches is as misnomer, as a Glitch is a single event that only accours if half or more dice show 1's, but I don't got a better name.
Special chases: There are situations when a 1 and 2 are counted for glitches or every 6 may be rerolled (wich may or may not count for glitches), but that is also not much aditional work.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:44 am

so it looks something like this:
7d6 = [1, 2, 5, 3, 5, 3, 4]
Glitches = 1
Hits = 2
Output = 7, 1, 2

Correct?

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:07 am
Profile YIM WWW

I am pretty sure there's Shadowrun support, and most likely you could even roll those dice using standard std die roller functions.... but a better solution beyond the technical answer here might be to ask some OpenRPG users who play Shadowrun.

Two ways to find them would be:
(1) try briefly scanning the names of servers and rooms on an evening and see if any look like they are playing Shadowrun. The rooms in black are public so you can enter them and ask for some help (if the session has started use "whisper" or the GM whisper tab).

(2) join one of the OpenRPG communities that has on-going Shadowrun style games being played and ask them how they use the software.
I know there have been SR games in the past on Mayhem (must get free membership), don't know about now:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Mayhem_Gaming/index/

(3) Google "Shadowrun" and "OpenRPG" but watch out for stuff which is quite old. Maybe add "2009" or "2010" to the search terms.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm

There is a dieroller already setup for Shadowrun on OpenRPG.

/dieroller sr

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:28 am
Profile YIM

I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of Open, but I run a Shadowrun game already on it. I have no problems with the existing die roller. I just type in /dieroller sr4 and it works just fine. I might not be understanding the nature of your question though.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks a lot. The "Die Roller Notes" only included the rollers std, d20 and wod so I have fallen under the impression I need a plugin for shadowrun - one I couldn't find. So I was just overlooking it, as I supsected.
I already tried the sr4 roller, but I think I will have to ask the shadowrun comunity on how to operate it properly.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:38 pm

reat dice roller, I will be using it for all my hidden GM rolls.

If you are doing some changes in the future I to would like to see a option for extended test. And I think its a good idea to keep the adjustable target number, since some campaigns may use higher or lower target numbers(even if one plays SR4). A option to quickly be able to do opposed tests would be good as well.

But thus far this is the best dice generator for SR4 I have found. Thanks!

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:05 am

There is a shadowrun dieroller, as already pointed out. In addition, I developed a modification to OpenRPG specifically for Shadowrun4. It let you put in formulas like [(attribute+skill)d6+modifiers], which the standard dierollers can't handle.

I posted the mod here, and on mayhem a few years ago. I haven't kept it up to date as no one seemed to be playing Shadowrun. I don't know if it is compatbile with the latest version of OpenRPG, or with Traipse.

I'm excited to learn that people are still playing Shadowrun4, and would love to join one of your games. Playing Shadowrun once again would provide the motivation to dust off my dieroller and update it! Whom do I have to kill to make a spot for me?

BTW: My dieroller can't do opposed tests; because, typically, someone else rolls for the opposition. The GM compares the number of successes from each roll. My dieroller did handle the rule of sixes, and the rule of ones.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:35 pm