View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:14 am

Problems installing OpenRPG on OS X 10.6 

Post Problems installing OpenRPG on OS X 10.6
I am having some trouble installing OpenRPG on my Mac. I'm running OS X 10.6. I've already installed the latest Python and wxPython 2.8. After downloading OpenRPG, I opened start_client.py and got the following message:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import os, os.path
import runpy

runpy.run_module('updater.gui', run_name='__main__', alter_sys=True)

import pyver
pyver.checkPyVersion()

from orpg.orpg_wx import *
import orpg.main
from orpg.tools.orpg_log import logger

if __name__ == "__main__":
os.chdir(os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0])))
if WXLOADED:
mainapp = orpg.main.orpgApp(0)
mainapp.MainLoop()
else:
logger.exception("You really really need wx!")

I have no experience using Terminal, and have no idea what any of this means. Like I said, I installed wxPython, so I don't know what happened. Any help would be awesome.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:46 am

Post Re: Problems installing OpenRPG on OS X 10.6
How did you get that message? That doesn't look like an error message as much as simply the first part of the file, start_client.py. What program is it that is creating that error?

Also try running the system_check.py and post the results of file openrpg_sysinfo.txt here please.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:32 pm

davidbyron wrote:
How did you get that message? That doesn't look like an error message as much as simply the first part of the file, start_client.py. What program is it that is creating that error?

Also try running the system_check.py and post the results of file openrpg_sysinfo.txt here please.

The program that gave me that message was IDLE. Opening system_check.py (again, default opening with IDLE) gives me the following:

import sys
import time
import platform
import wx
import orpg.orpg_version

class system_check:

def start(self,log_file='openrpg_sysinfo.txt'):
self.log_file = open(log_file,'w')
self.log_file.write("OpenRPG System Info " + time.strftime( '%m-%d-%y', time.localtime( time.time() ) ))
self.check_openrpg()
self.check_py()
self.check_wxpython()
self.check_platform()
self.log_file.close()

def check_wxpython(self):
self.log_file.write("\nwxPython Version: " + wx.__version__)

def check_py(self):
self.log_file.write("\nPython: " + sys.version)

def check_platform(self):
self.log_file.write("\nPlatform: " + platform.platform())

def check_openrpg(self):
self.log_file.write("\nOpenRPG Version: " + orpg.orpg_version.VERSION)
self.log_file.write("\nOpenRPG Build: " + orpg.orpg_version.BUILD)

if __name__ == "__main__":
syscheck = system_check()
syscheck.start()

Again, I have absolutely NO experience using Python or console, so all of this might as well be in Ancient Egyptian to me at this point :p

I read in another Mac help thread to try running start_client.py using Python Launcher as the default program. I've tried that and it gives me this (edited to remove my name and such):

'/Applications/OpenRPG1.8.0/' && '/usr/bin/pythonw' '/Applications/OpenRPG1.8.0/start_client.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/OpenRPG1.8.0/start_client.py", line 7, in <module>
runpy.run_module('updater.gui', run_name='__main__', alter_sys=True)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 135, in run_module
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 54, in _run_module_code
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 34, in _run_code
File "/Applications/OpenRPG1.8.0/updater/gui.py", line 8, in <module>
import wx
File "/var/tmp/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-13~231/2.6/DSTROOT/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>

File "/var/tmp/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-13~231/2.6/DSTROOT/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module>
ImportError: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core_.so: no appropriate 64-bit architecture (see "man python" for running in 32-bit mode)

Does this help explain what's going on?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 pm

You are using a 64 bit machine and have installed 32 bit Python ??

Yes, you use the python launcher. IDLE is an editing environment.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I downloaded what I thought was the correct Python. I saw "10.4 through 10.6" and assumed that was the one I wanted. So I suppose I should uninstall everything and try again?

EDIT:
I uninstalled Python and wxPython and tried again with the Python 2.7 PPC/i386/x86-64 Max OS X Installer Disk Image version that's on the Python website. I'm still getting the 32-bit error message.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Alrighty then so the initial mistake was using IDLE -- the free Pythion editor -- to try running the Python file. OK solved that.

Running python properly you got an error because you're 64 bit. OK so you re-installed your Python / wxPython.

Still getting a similar error.

Is your wxPython 64 bit too? wxPython has two versions for each version of Python; 32 or 64 bit varieties.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm not sure if my wxPython is 32-bit. The only Mac versions I see on the wxPython Download screen are the Unicode and the ANSI versions. Is ANSI the 64-bit one? I originally downloaded the Unicode version.

EDIT: Uninstalled wxPython and installed ANSI version. Still the same result.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 pm

That will not make a difference. It does not look like there is a 64 bit version of wx.Python for Mac, so you will have to run it in 32 bit mode.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW

This should help: http://community.activestate.com/forum/ ... ow-leopard

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

This could potentially help, but I have no idea how to implement the suggestions.

EDIT: I finally figured out how to pull up "man python" and saw how that says to switch over to 32-bit mode, but every time I enter the command it says to use, I get "SyntaxError: invalid syntax." All this programming moonspeak is starting to get very discouraging. I just want to game with my friend who just moved across the country. :cry:

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 pm