View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

Advanced Node Editing Question (Traipse & OpenRPG Standard) 

Post Advanced Node Editing Question (Traipse & OpenRPG Standard)
I created a few nodes (character sheets, feat reference libraries, etc for Pathfinder.) How do I lock the node? What I mean by "locking" is disabling the option to edit the node (such as disabling right click menu or having no design option for the recipient of the node). I have seen this done before and I think its great but I do not know how to do this for my created nodes on either Traipse and OpenRPG Standard. Thank you.

My Pathfinder [3.7] Home Brewed Campaign Forum

My Pathfinder [3.7] Home Brewed Campaign Mayhem Gaming Forum

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Advanced Node Editing Question (Traipse & OpenRPG Standard)
That's silly. The node is in XML format and can easily be modified with a text editor. Currently Traipse does not provide that feature and I probably wont put it in there. Why do you want to lock your nodes?

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW

He might mean the "usefulness" designation although I thought that was just to prevent accidentally deleting important nodes, not editing them.

It's also possible he means the default behaviour upon double-clicking on a node which can be set to the Use dialog or the developer /edit dialog but I think it defaults to use.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Ill try to find some more character sheets that have used that or done what I was talking about but here is one that is actually included with OpenRPG Standard (by included I mean It was in the data folder after full update, not sure if it was in there before updating) in the folder for 3.5, in there is a sample character sheet (it looks like it is still 3.0 with the skill list but it was in the 3.5 folder) that has design disabled for just about everything and the very few nodes that have it seem to just run the node rather then edit it. The node (or the character sheet) allows users to edit specific fields ONLY such as name, armor, etc without allowing them to alter the set up or design layout of the nodes that contain the fields (i.e not allowing the user to alter the name field to be a drop down menu or add new fields like last will and testament). This is not quite what I was talking about but it is close enough in terms of not allowing the nodes to be altered. So any ideas how that was done would be wonderful.

As for why? I don't want the sheets and libraries I spent hours on to be altered to allow someone else credit for all that work. Granted for the feats, I do not own the rights to the information itself but the layout design and how it is organized I want to keep people from altering. It's like the deck of cards node in Traipse for example (which I loved). I don't want to copy it but I might make my own version using that as inspiration but I don't want to just alter that and claim its original. I don't want others to just copy my work and do minor alterations and "claim" they did all the work. If my work inspires them then they should use it in their own original work, not alter mine and claim its theirs.

I hope that helps clear up what I was talking about. Thank you.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am
Profile WWW

It's not the sheet, it's the nodehandler.

I'm going to chime in here with a little more information. I consider all of the node templates that came with OpenRPG to be in the public domain. For a number of reasons:

1. If the node is GPL then whatever is placed in the node is GPL. This becomes bad news when the GPL clashes with other licenses.
2. The data in the nodes amounts to nothing really.
3. My response from the Copyright office: viewtopic.php?p=1366#p1366

That last comment kinda points out to you that you can't really protect the layout of your node. What that last part allows though, as the node template is public domain you can add new material to it and then copyright it. But... it's really the node data that is protected not the node layout.

The best thing you can do is share it with your name on it. If you want a license I would recommend the CC-Nd-Sa. I'd recommend Non-Derivative because it attempts to preserve the integrity of the node yet at the same time a user can logically share a modified version with the un-modified version. But that's what you want really, isn't it? Attribution for your work and the end user to receive an original?

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 am
Profile YIM WWW

Well if you feel the sheet layout is good maybe we can throw it into the general distribution and put your name on the list of contributors to OpenRPG. Because its open it's essentially impossible to prevent people copying and editing your work. In fact that's the whole idea of open software. But as for credit you could simply put your name somewhere prominent.

I know the sheets that are uneditable that you mean now. They are custom "nodes" - not really single nodes at all but in a sense the program thinks of them as one big node - and they are coded in Python to get the to work differently. So they are another level up of complexity to get working.

If you are interested in 3.5 you might like the new stuff I've added to 1.8.1 OpenRPG that has code to handle bonuses and effects properly. ie it can tell that you have two "enhancement" bonuses and only the highest one counts. I also managed to get it so that my shapeshifting druid can swap out all his stats and stuff at the click of a button an retain all the correct on-going enhancements and bonuses (except Con bonuses to HP are screwed by WoTC concept that for druid shapeshifting only con changes have no effect on HP but- oh right - all OTHER Con changes do - bleh).

A lot of the changes in 1.8.1 are specifically to appeal to people who write character sheets. For example there's the "Clone with replace" feature which copies a node (and all its contents) and at the same time as copying it performs a find and replace with strings so you can copy a PC sheet and have all the name changes instantly or even copy one skill node and create a list of 20-30 skills just by typing int eh names of those skills in a text box.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:08 am

Hmm ok, well at least I know now where to go to do what I want. Now I just have to learn about nodehandlers before I share my creations. Thank you very much.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:24 am
Profile WWW

davidbyron wrote:
Well if you feel the sheet layout is good maybe we can throw it into the general distribution and put your name on the list of contributors to OpenRPG. Because its open it's essentially impossible to prevent people copying and editing your work. In fact that's the whole idea of open software. But as for credit you could simply put your name somewhere prominent.

I know the sheets that are uneditable that you mean now. They are custom "nodes" - not really single nodes at all but in a sense the program thinks of them as one big node - and they are coded in Python to get the to work differently. So they are another level up of complexity to get working.

If you are interested in 3.5 you might like the new stuff I've added to 1.8.1 OpenRPG that has code to handle bonuses and effects properly. ie it can tell that you have two "enhancement" bonuses and only the highest one counts. I also managed to get it so that my shapeshifting druid can swap out all his stats and stuff at the click of a button an retain all the correct on-going enhancements and bonuses (except Con bonuses to HP are screwed by WoTC concept that for druid shapeshifting only con changes have no effect on HP but- oh right - all OTHER Con changes do - bleh).

A lot of the changes in 1.8.1 are specifically to appeal to people who write character sheets. For example there's the "Clone with replace" feature which copies a node (and all its contents) and at the same time as copying it performs a find and replace with strings so you can copy a PC sheet and have all the name changes instantly or even copy one skill node and create a list of 20-30 skills just by typing int eh names of those skills in a text box.

Argh I wasn't expecting it to be coded in Python like that. Further down the rabbit hole I go. More coding practice is in my immediate future. Well at least I know now the direction I need to go and the ways these nodes were modified in. Now I just have to learn them so I can also do that too. Thank you.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:30 am
Profile WWW