View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

Failed to connect to server... 

Post Failed to connect to server...
I am new to openrpg but not entirely new. I was successful in connecting to servers in the past, infact just 4 days ago. I used standard 1.8.0.5 and had no problems. My problems started when I tried to switch over to Traipse (the latest one, something orc). Well after I stumbled around on how to install that, I finally got that to go to the update manager. I managed to get the main screen up but nothing would populate in the server gui list. So I tried to run openrpg (standard) and a gui list populated but every bold black server (not hidden) would just "failed to connect to server..." I made sure both programs had access through my firewall (i am running windows 7, no router) on the port people specified (6774 or something like that) as well as making sure the server list was up to date (forget the link but it was in another post by the traispe developer I think "I ate your death knell" was in his signature). So I uninstalled both applications and all the python files and reinstalled openrpg standard after rebooting only to run into the "failed to connect to server..." problem again.

What happened?

How can I fix it?

How can I get both openrpg and Traipse to work?

Thank you.

My Pathfinder [3.7] Home Brewed Campaign Forum

My Pathfinder [3.7] Home Brewed Campaign Mayhem Gaming Forum

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:33 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Failed to connect to server...
The server GUI list problem is my fault. i am actively working on Patch-3, the final Ornery Orc patch.

There is a file in your templates folder called default_metaservers.xml. Just copy that to your myfiles directory and rename it to metaservers.xml

That will fix the server list in Traipse. Sorry about the issue, I am working on support for multiple metas and I have to juggle some recovered meta server code as well as trying to add the feature without breaking the software. And as you can see, I failed.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:01 am
Profile YIM WWW

The Traipse Fix worked for the GUI list. I could even connect to servers on it. The openrpg standard connected to server before I reinstalled Traipse, but not after. I tried to connect to another server in openrpg standard (while traipse was connected to another server successfully) but I got the failed to join error again. I'm hoping it's just an issue not on my end now. But at least I can connect using one of the two software.

Thank you

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

Okay I found a work around for the Openrpg standard issue. If I load Traipse, everything works fine. If I load OpenRPG standard (1.8.0+) The GUI server list populates but checking a server and clicking the connect button yields a "Failed to connect to server..." error. Now If I go to the bookmark server list and connect that way, It connects me to the server just fine. I have tested this with a Windows 7 and Windows XP. Any clues why the software does this? I hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem. Thank you.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

Does that workaround work for servers you hadn't bookmarked previously?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Yes, in fact that's how I first found it by bookmarking new servers. It boggles my mind but I can use the software if need be. On the plus side It gave me time to learn the namespace concept and application on Traipse. I hope this can at least help others who had similar problems like I had. Thank you.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for reporting the workaround.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:08 pm