View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:43 am

Tree issues Traipse Ornery Orc 

Post Tree issues Traipse Ornery Orc
Greetings

I have encountered an Issue that I am not sure how to fix. I received an error message that my tree file was corrupt and being regenerated. if I check the /myfiles directory there are 67 tree_## files, I attempted to copy one of the "regenerated files to Tree.xml and just received the same error. no matter how I changed the files I could not get Traipse to load past that error message. I backed up the tree files to an alternate location. then reinstalled Traipse it will now load. I can load the back up file via insert node file but it does not save to the new tree file and must do this every time I launch the program, not a big deal but I am unable to save any changes

I do not want to have to recreate all the nodes I have created so any help would be greatly appreciated

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Post Re: Tree issues Traipse Ornery Orc
This is an issue I am correcting in Pious Paladin. The problem occurs because there is no check to ensure the XML added to your game tree is properly formatted ... so some data will corrupt the tree when added.

Other times the data could become corrupted simply through regular use because legacy OpenRPG uses a DOM script that does its best to format string data into proper XML data. While this worked really well I am pretty certain it was not 100% accurate and may create malformed XML inadvertently.

Pious Paladin makes that check, and also uses Element Tree exclusively when working with the game tree so it will be properly formatted XML.

In Ornery Orc I made an attempt to ensure even if a tree became corrupted it would be salvageable. This attempt created new trees with _## so the user could find the correct tree. Obviously the tree's XML was broken somewhere and caused a long loop creating a large number of clone trees. I also note the above described attempt was not fully tested. It worked for me so I let it go live. I doubt the act of re-installing fixed anything ... likely it was the act of loading default data which has proper XML formatting.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW

ok so is there anyway I can take the nodes from the saved tree tot eh new tree so I can update them or am I sol and need to make the nodes over

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Maybe... it depends on how mangled the data is. The lastgood.xml also saves the tree's state when you first load the software, so if you did not remove that you still have a good tree.

If you want help contact me via Skype: profebral

and I can visually walk you through the recovery.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW