View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

OpenRPG protocol 

Post OpenRPG protocol
Is the protocol used for communication between the OpenRPG client and server, documented anywhere? I can figure it out from the code if need be, of course, but I figured it's worth asking whether there is documentation just in case.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Post Re: OpenRPG protocol
Not really. I can explain it to you if needed. Do you want specifics, or just basic information?

I have a new protocol under the works for the next milestone of Traipse. Given the current OpenRPG (the one DJ and his team worked on) has again fallen in to disrepair and lacks developers, I hope people will make the leap over to Traipse after the next milestone is released.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:33 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks! What I've picked up so far from looking at the code and running tests is:

Metaserver is at orpgmeta.appspot.com

Server list is in a happily obvious XML format via HTTP

Port is always 6774 at the moment (though could potentially change in the future)

Actual messages between client and server consist of a 32-bit binary message length, followed by message data in XML or some close variant thereof

Please let me know if any of this is incorrect.

To explain what I have in mind, I'm currently evaluating the feasibility of writing a web-based client that would do for OpenRPG gaming what Mibbit does for IRC gaming, that is, to solve problems like "game on tonight, but the only machine I can access at the moment belongs to the college lab/Internet cafe/my sister and I don't have permission to go installing software" or "erg, my install of the client software ain't working at the moment and I'd rather play now and fix it later than miss the game while I'm troubleshooting".

What protocol changes do you have in mind for Traipse? I'm looking forward to seeing the new version, but it seems it would be a pity to break backward compatibility and the current felicitous state of affairs where some people in a group can upgrade to the new client program even if others do not?

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:28 am

rwallace wrote:
Metaserver is at orpgmeta.appspot.com
For 'standard'. Check out the Traipse Metaserver: http://traipsemeta.madmathlabs.info/ I gave it a front end, and restored the room list functionality.

Quote:
Server list is in a happily obvious XML format via HTTP
Yes.

Quote:
Port is always 6774 at the moment (though could potentially change in the future)
For 'standard'. With Traipse you can set the port in your server_ini.xml file.

Quote:
Actual messages between client and server consist of a 32-bit binary message length, followed by message data in XML or some close variant thereof
The entire data is sent as a binary message. It is packed and then unpacked. The length is sent first so the receiver knows how much is there to unpack. Once unpacked it is string data and contains XML data (as a string)

Quote:
To explain what I have in mind, I'm currently evaluating the feasibility of writing a web-based client that would do for OpenRPG gaming what Mibbit does for IRC gaming, that is, to solve problems like "game on tonight, but the only machine I can access at the moment belongs to the college lab/Internet cafe/my sister and I don't have permission to go installing software" or "erg, my install of the client software ain't working at the moment and I'd rather play now and fix it later than miss the game while I'm troubleshooting".

What protocol changes do you have in mind for Traipse? I'm looking forward to seeing the new version, but it seems it would be a pity to break backward compatibility and the current felicitous state of affairs where some people in a group can upgrade to the new client program even if others do not?

I would really like to talk to you further about this off the boards if that is possible. A friend of mine is looking into something much the same and we are having a small hurdle of finding team members. Find me on skype (?) as profebral and we can chat at length.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:48 am
Profile YIM WWW

Following up with conclusion of the feasibility study: the conclusion is no, Web technology is not designed for this. It could be done in principle, but it would be an awful lot of work and the result would work badly, so I don't see it as worthwhile.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:45 am