View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:51 pm

Tutorials 

Post Re: Tutorials
prof.ebral@googlewave.com. Add me and we can collab on a rule book for both versions, Tutorials, and all that. I plan on recording videos as late as I get my computer upgraded with 16GB of RAM.

Anyone else want to get involved? Just post here and we can work together. I have invites if you don't have wave.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:00 am
Profile YIM WWW

I think I was able to add you and start a wave. I have invites too.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:06 pm
Profile WWW

I have been on vacation 5 days and just back so quite busy but before I look at them I'd say the program is in dire need of documentation and help. We recently added the tip of the day but the documentation where it exists is otherwise very old and I think the default loaded tree (the Behir) could be much better as an example too. In addition there have been a lot of new features added and being developed recently (some not yet released but in 1.8.0+ developer version or Traipse' equivalent I suppose).

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:00 am

Yeah i threw in the cone and circle whiteboard stuff a little before it was ready for prime time. If I had it again I'd have used a plugin but it is very hard to add to a plugin. This is because the interface is too D&D 3.5 specific though probbaly useful elsewhere too.

Quote:
Cone - This is a new feature with 1.8.0. Useful for when you have cone effects. I recommend just playing around with it to get a feel for how it works. From what I've noticed, you use the radius to determine how many squares wide the cone will be. (5 = 1sq, 10 = 2sq, 15 = 3sq, etc. This is on the 40px map I'm using to demo, so it could be different on other maps.) To use it, click on a corner of the grid where you want it to start. You then click a second time in the direction the cone effect will occur. You can keep clicking in around the point you have designated, using the same initial point. To delete the cone effect, right click.

Right the 5 is from a 5' standard D&D square. Double click to make the cone permanently added. Until then only you see the cone as a temporary frame to show where it would be. Note that if you click near to one of the eight compass directions it assumes you mean that compass direction and produces the familiar cone net, but otherwise it is very exacting about what squares are "in" the cone and the rule is the same as the 3.5 D&D rule (basically both of the most distant vertices of the square must be in the cone for the square to count as in).

Right-click now also resets poly and freeform lines I think as well as cone and circle.

Quote:
Cirlce - Another new feature, it's used for burst radii. Unlike the cone, your first click will determine the top center of the cone. Otherwise the way you determine the size is the same.
Radius: Used for the Cone and Circle drawing modes. From what I've noticed, you use the radius to determine how many squares wide the cone or circle will be. (5 = 1sq, 10 = 2sq, 15 = 3sq, etc. This is on the 40px map I'm using to demo, so it could be different on other maps.)

It's always the same divide by 5 and that is the number of squares. As a result it doesn't work too well with hex or iso grids. Again the right click resets and the double-click is what makes the frame permanent (seen by others). Both cone and circle are one long line for purposes of editing a line / deleting it / undeleting it.

The circle is always drawn from the top most part of it instead of the center point of the circle as you might have guessed. i was planing on allowing you to specify if it was drawn from center / top / left / right / etc.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:25 am

Quote:
Ratio: Honestly I've never figured out what this is. If anyone knows or figures out let me know.

This is only used by the isomorphic grid. It is the ratio of the vertical to horizontal of the diagonal -- or something like that. If it is "1" you get a diamond grid (although the placement of the minis still obeys the isomorphic rules not a tilted square grid). The larger the number the more the isogrid looks "flat". A dimond is the view from right "above"

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:28 am

davidbyron wrote:
This is only used by the isomorphic grid. It is the ratio of the vertical to horizontal of the diagonal -- or something like that. If it is "1" you get a diamond grid (although the placement of the minis still obeys the isomorphic rules not a tilted square grid). The larger the number the more the isogrid looks "flat". A dimond is the view from right "above"

And that would be why I never figured out what ratio was for. I never used isometric. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile WWW

So where's the google wave on openrpg? I found one on maptools.....

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:42 pm

davidbyron wrote:
So where's the google wave on openrpg? I found one on maptools.....

prof.ebral wrote:
prof.ebral@googlewave.com. Add me and we can collab on a rule book for both versions, Tutorials, and all that. I plan on recording videos as late as I get my computer upgraded with 16GB of RAM.

Anyone else want to get involved? Just post here and we can work together. I have invites if you don't have wave.

Me or Alicia, I guess.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Alright well I tried to start one.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:39 am

what is your google wave account?

NVMD. I got you.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:48 am
Profile YIM WWW