View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 pm

Docking chat pane to fill leftover space? 

Post Docking chat pane to fill leftover space?
Hi everyone, long time ORPG user, first time poster.

I'm using 1.8 with the map pane docked to my chat window, but just I'm left with the chat window docked to the gametree/Player list border on the left, the window border on the bottom, and the window border on the right, leaving an unsightly grey area on the top. I can resize the pane vertically, but it doesn't keep the proportions if I resize the window - it's not docked to the top border. So if I make the window taller the unsightly grey dead space comes back, and if I make it shorter the top part of my chat/map windows vanishes off the top of the workspace.

I've tried dragging the chat pane around a few different ways, and I can't seem to get it to dock along all four borders of the pane at once. I can dock along the top, left, and bottom, but not the right, for example, Or Top, Right, and Bottom. I'd like to dock along all four edges.

What am I missing? :D

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Post Re: Docking chat pane to fill leftover space?
I should probably mention I'm using 1.8.0 standard atm, Windows 7, and Python 2.5

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Posting a screen shot would be helpful.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 am
Profile YIM WWW

I suppose it would!
Attachment:
NotDocking.jpg
NotDocking.jpg [ 140.08 KiB | Viewed 8284 times ]

That grey area is the part that shrinks and grows as I resize the window, not the chat/map area. I can't figure out how to attach the chat/map area to that top border, the way it is along the other three.

If it takes editing the layout.xml I'm good with that, but I can't seem puzzle out the layout.xml format.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:03 am

I am not sure how you have the chat and the map set inside one dock so that you can create tabs for each, but I am guessing that is what is causing the problem.

I am betting that when you dock the chat and map together you the software still creates a region in the layout for one of those. The gray space is then a region in the layout that is meant to hold one of the four docks and since nothing is there you see it as empty.

But I don't develop for 'Standard' any more, so I am not 100% sure.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:57 am
Profile YIM WWW

By dragging and dropping. We've been able to undock and stack windows in OpenRPG since before 1.5 - not sure when the feature came in. There used to be collections of layout.xml files available for download to help you pre-customize your UI layout, not sure where they've gone.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 am

Here's a screenshot of the docking in action.

I don't think that hole is being left for the map - you can't actually refill it again. It appears the window manager does not actually have the ability to re-create the original layout.

EDIT: er, helps if I attach the picture.
Attachment:
Layout.jpg
Layout.jpg [ 216.98 KiB | Viewed 8279 times ]

Incidentally, I've just tested Traipse, and while your manager seems to be more like the old dusty one I remember from lo those many versions ago (I don't remember the pretty docking arrows and things popping up, for instance) you're absolutely correct that it doesn't seem to allow tab stacking any more either.

Which is a pitty, that's a really handy feature.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 am

Although if you close the map window in Traipse you get the same big grey hole in your layout. It still will only dock to three borders:
Attachment:
Layout.jpg
Layout.jpg [ 81.62 KiB | Viewed 8279 times ]

And it won't dock to "bottom of the screen, right of the stuff on the left", unlike the standard branch.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:57 am

Mrugnak wrote:
Incidentally, I've just tested Traipse, and while your manager seems to be more like the old dusty one I remember from lo those many versions ago (I don't remember the pretty docking arrows and things popping up, for instance) you're absolutely correct that it doesn't seem to allow tab stacking any more either.

Which is a pitty, that's a really handy feature.

Yeah .. that is really nice. Pious Paladin is replacing wx.Python with PyQt which is way more feature rich. It will have the ability to place docks together so they create a Tab view.

Quote:
And it won't dock to "bottom of the screen, right of the stuff on the left", unlike the standard branch.

Not sure what you mean.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm not sure there's a way to do it through the GUI. You might have to edit the layout file by hand.

It hasn't really changed in a long time and so I recommend mDuo13's page on it here:

http://openrpg.mduo13.com/gui_layouts.php

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:00 pm