View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Unable to open OpenRPG 

Post Unable to open OpenRPG
Yesterday I updated to 1.8 and had no issues in regards to the use of OpenRPG. Today, I could not do more than watch the command box open and then close immediately without being able to read the box. OpenRPG would then not open. Rebooted computer, still nothing. Reinstalled OpenRPG twice today with no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using Window XP.

I did look at the other post but I do not know how to get a copy of the command box before it closes. Also, i have reinstalled three times, no change.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:21 am
Profile YIM

Post Re: Unable to open OpenRPG
Are you using 'Standard'? Some users have had problems with the 'Standard' version of Element Tree.

Can you look for a file called crash-report.txt and post it's contents here?

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:36 am
Profile YIM WWW

I will do so, can you tell me where it may be found? Search of the OpenRPG folder does not show one.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:42 am
Profile YIM

Then it might not have been created. Are you using Standard or Traipse?

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:59 am
Profile YIM WWW

Standard. Went to Trapise and downloaded the software. It seems to work fine. Although I would still like to see why the standard did not work. Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by BryC on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:07 am
Profile YIM

Alright .. You will need to try and contact David. He develops for Standard, I develop Traipse.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah, I'm having the same problem, but I'm using Vista. The strange thing is that I've been using ORPG 1.8+Standard for quite some time with no problems at all. One day I used it as an offline digital dice roller for my friends D&D session at his house, because someone lost all of our d4s. Well later that night I have an online game with some friends and when I tried to open it up, it would open the blue box that says ORPG but then it would freeze and never open. Well I thought it was odd (It froze in the command box as Parsing Trees or something like that) so I uninstalled everything, including python, and re-installed everything. Now it only opens the command box for a fraction of a second before closing out. So, then I completely wiped everyting concerning python and ORPG from my C: drive, re-installed, then nothing. Well I've missed another session today, and I'm beginning to fall behind, I've done a number of things, including trying 1.7.1 and Traipse. And niether of them even open up the command box... or they're doing it so fast that it's not visible. If you could help out, that'd be great and very much appreciated.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:54 am

I will help you with Traipse. Likely problems starting Traipse are the Python and wx.Python versions. You should also make sure you have downloaded the most recent versions of the .EXE or the .ZIP, which ever isntallation option you choose.

If you have more problems with Traipse I would like to hear them. Traipse not starting usually ends up in a user error of some kind so be sure to read the installation documentation.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 am
Profile YIM WWW

A good start is getting to see what is or isn't going on in that command box.

Go to the Start menu, and in the "Search programs and files" box, type CMD and hit enter. Run the program if it doesn't launch on its own.

You'll get the command window open - and this one won't close when OpenRPG errors out!

At the command window, type in the full path to your python.exe (usually C:\Python26\python.exe but if you put it somewhere else, you need to put the exact path in). A good tip - you can find python.exe in a windows exporer window and drag/drop it onto the CMD window and windows will put in the full path for you.

After the path to python, put a space, and then the full path to the start_client.py or traipse.pyw (Again, you can just drag/drop).

So it should look something like

C:\Users\Yourname> C:\Python26\python.exe C:\traipse\traipse.pyw

Then hit enter.

It'll start OpenRPG up as usual, but this time all the error messages will stick around so we can read them.

Then take a screenshot or copy/paste into a post here :D

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 am

Pretty odd that crash-report.txt doesn't exist.

Thanks to prof.ebral for all his work on tech support by the way. I've been absent for a while what with a vacation and having to roll up a bunch of new characters and make miniature images for them. That one is a reversed succubus didn't help. had to try and figure out what happens when it casts consecrate on a mummy PC that's LG.

Anyway..... Demakya's problem sounds like a data problem with the tree, or was. Then it became something else? I'd try renaming the file that has the tree you ordinarily load and it will load the default tree (with the Behir). Reinstalling everything in sight used to work with OpenRPG about 2-3 years ago, and frankly that wasn't a good sign! Now we have far less problems but re-installing usually won't fix them. It is an improvement, though that doesn't help you two. having said that if your python file is coming back with an error immediately that suggests the python itself might be failing.

One way to check that would be to open a CMD box and just type "python".

The first thing is to try and get a handle on what the errors being reported are. crash-report.txt is the new way because the steps listed in the post by Mrugnak are a bit of a pain, but I guess that's what you'll have to try. Also check out the runlogs folder for any reported error, but usually that one isn't much help.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:20 pm